“Not what I expected”

Hyatt Place Atlanta/Buckhead
Ranked #32 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel last week while attending a conference at the Georgia World Congress Center, downtown. The front desk staff were wonderful and extremely accomodating and the continental breakfast was nice, but the hotel needs some updating. The carpet in our room was very worn and had dirty spots. The towels had a terrible smell, the very dim light in the bathroom worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't and the closet was so small,I could barely hang up my clothes. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN HYATT!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We arrived after a long flight so went straight to bed but first impressions were great! Spacious clean rooms with a nice seating area,very large flat screen T.V. (which you could swivel to view from the bed),a wet bar,fridge and microwave.The only complaint I have is that the air-con unit was right next to the bed and very noisy but as we were so tired I think we would have slept well under Niagara Falls!
Next morning the complimentary breakfast was very nice and included all the usual plus some hot "sandwich type" items.Again,everywhere was very clean,nicely laid out and there were lots of staff to clear and replenish.
Sadly we had to move on as we were on an organised tour,but we would have liked to stay longer. What we saw of the area looked ok with several shops and restaurants nearby although the city itself was some distance away.
The pool was closed for maintenance and seemed as though it had been for some time.I had a quick look and although not exactly an oasis it would have done for a cool down on a hot day.
Would I stay here again? Yes,most definitely!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Arrived after trans-Atlantic flight staying overnight before moving on. Very efficient check in, fabulous room, spotlessly clean with great amenities. Kitchen area Seating area, desk with free wifi, twin queen beds, quiet and very comfortable. Free Breakfast the following morning an added bonus. with staff regularly refilling all the stations.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Enjoyed the Hotel. Staff was excellent-Eunice in particular, but all the ladies great. Good breakfast in the morning, close to MARTA Station for transportation. Rooms very good size, comfortable, clean

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week and it definitely will not be my last stay!
When I walked through the doors of the hotel, I was immediately greeted with a smile and a very warm "Welcome"! The people at the front desk could not have been more genuine or friendly and went above and beyond to be sure that I was well taken care of. Each time I left or returned to the hotel, they were there to see if they could assist me.
The rooms are larger than a regular hotel room and I loved having a sitting area! WiFi was free, and the room was extremely clean and smelled fresh.
Breakfast was included with my rate, and I could have been happier to see fresh fruit each day. There were hot and cold items on the breakfast buffet. There was also an opportunity to order other breakfast items (for a fee), but I didn't see a need to. They also had a bar at the hotel so if one wanted to order a cocktail, it was available.
Parking was convenient and the parking garage was well-lit and safe. In addition, the hotel's location was convenient to everything I needed.
I will be back in Atlanta in June and I was so impressed with this Hyatt Place that I made the June reservation before I left last week!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of a tour. The reception area is a bit old fashioned but the staff are charming and the room had been updated and was spacious with seating area and sink. The complimentary breakfast was delicious with some cooked items. Free internet in the lobby. Some way out of the centre of town, we were taken in by coach, so not sure how easy it would be on public transport.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennywrenSussex
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I feel compelled to post after just completing a four-night stay and reading some of the other reviews. Yes, it's not a "luxurious" hotel, but it's not really supposed to be. If you want luxury (concierge service, a more upscale lobby, etc.), the Grand Hyatt is just down the street. The rooms are not suites, but are not advertised as such; they are described as "spacious guestrooms," which is what they are. If you want room with separate sleeping/living areas, there's an Embassy Suites very close.

What the Hyatt Place is designed to be, I think, it delivers well. It's a mix of business people and families on vacation. It's got a pretty decent (free) breakfast offering, served till 9:30, which is later than a lot of places, with apple, orange and tomato juice; milk and water; an English-muffin-ish sandwich (eggs, cheese and, I believe, ham), an Eggs Benedict-like offering, and waffles with a few topping options; yogurt, cereal, bagels and donuts. They do a nice job of restocking the food and keeping the breakfast area clean. Wifi is free throughout the building. You can surf the Web & print for free.

I find it pretty hard to believe that there were hookers hanging out in the lobby. There are employees at the desk 24 hours a day that, it seems to me, would have told them to leave. (But, yes, some customers who stay at Hyatt Place are not "upscale" either.)

The only critiques I can think of are that there are three elevators, but they still run pretty slow (slow in terms of speed between floors, and thus also slow in the sense that it takes a long time when you're waiting), and that the staff has been so "over-trained" to be friendly that some of them come off almost robotic. There's a way to be friendly while still being "human," and some of them haven't mastered that balance.

3  Thank FriendlyOtto