“Nostalgic Experience for Adults and Fun for Kids”

Center for Puppetry Arts
Ranked #15 of 247 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Center for Puppetry Arts is a unique cultural treasure - a magical place where children and adults are educated, enlightened and entertained. Since 1978, the Center has introduced millions of visitors to the wonder and art of puppetry and has touched the lives of many through enchanting performances, curriculum-based workshops and the hands-on Museum, as well as Distance Learning and Outreach Programs.
Reviewed October 12, 2016

My husband and I do not have kids, yet we have visited the Center for Puppetry Arts about ten times in the last eight years. We have taken adult and child family members and friends to experience the museum on several occasions.

The recent renovations of the Jim Henson Wing is phenomenal. The Center also renovated the "regular museum" area and it is also fantastic.

The regular museum area is full of puppets old and new. There are even a couple of interactive puppet displays. It was fun to see a scene from Coraline on display. Cultural puppets and some well-known puppets also were on display.

The Jim Henson Wing had some puppets and displays from before the renovation, but most of the items were new. The Center plans to cycle puppets and displays throughout the years, to keep the exhibit interesting. Seeing displays for Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth and even some early classics were fantastic.

Also, I highly recommend the children's puppet shows. I took my nephew to see "The Stinky Cheese Man" several years ago. I have also seen "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" three times. Before/after each play, children have an opportunity to construct a puppet relevant to the play. One big and organized arts and crafts room is there to create in.

The Center for Puppetry Arts is always fun as an adult as it is so nostalgic, but also exciting for little ones as they see their favorite characters as well.

2  Thank Debra R
"small museum"
"special exhibit"
"year olds"

Reviewed October 8, 2016 via mobile

We decided to visit with my 3 month old while on vacation in Atlanta. We were drawn in by the Jim Henson exhibit. I had been hoping to see just a few of his creations but they had so many more! My mother, aunt, and myself were brought back to our childhoods with the vibrant displays of the various Henson creations. There are even some interactive displays. The Labyrinth exhibit was also very interesting. The permanent exhibit of puppets from around the world was full of intricate displays too. They offer military discounts!

Reviewed October 2, 2016

So I am a huge Labyrinth and Dark Crystal fan. I also live 1 hour and 40 minutes from Atlanta.
I knew going in that the museum was only going to have a limited number of items from both movies. But as strange as it may sound, I am a 40 year old male who loves puppets. A good puppeteer can totally own me.
That said, My won and I drove almost 2 hours to go through a museum that took us less than 90 minutes to explore.
I am not sure what I was expecting. It really did cover all the bases you'd expect with regards to Jim Henson, but it was just ... too easy to navigate...? Not sure how to put it.
Button line; do not go to all the way to Atlanta JUST for this. At MOST you'll spend 90 minutes there. with kids you may fly through it in 60 minutes. If you go alone and stop to read all the interesting facts and see the short films, 2 hours maximum.

Reviewed September 30, 2016

We have a collection of puppets from around the world so this was a must see. Public transport to get there wasn't bad but we had to walk round 3½ sides of the building to get in. The puppets are interesting and well woth the visit.