“Excellent Choice Near Airport”

Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Ranked #12 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nacogdoches, Texas
“Excellent Choice Near Airport”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for an overnight while awaiting a morning flight. Access to/from the airport is super easy via the new train. Rooms were quiet, clean, and comfortable. Desk service was also very nice. I could easily stay here again when travel plans require an overnight in Atlanta.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mooneynut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Ft Laud
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If you have an early flight at the Atlanta airport, or miss your connection (like I did thanks to Delta's lack of courtesy and consideration), this hotel will serve you well. Take th Skytrain from the terminal to the hotel and get there in 3 minutes. The rooms are very clean and large. The staff is real friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HowFtLaud
Michigan
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights this past week, the first time for an overnight in Atlanta prior to our trip to St. Lucia, and again on the trip home due to Delta's delays causing us to miss our connection home. I was so impressed with the hotel the week before that I told my husband that if Delta didn't give us a voucher for this hotel we would pay for it ourselves and stay here. Good thing for Delta (I was furious with them and the reasons for their delays...) that the Delta agent rebooking us pulled up a voucher for the Marriott!

The room is very nice, brand new, soundproof and the bed is extremely comfortable. I never heard a plane once. When they tell you it's a 2 minute ride from the skytrain they mean it! We got our luggage in baggage claim, walked out the door and were checked in and in our room in under 15 minutes from the time we collected our bags! The lobby is gorgeous and the lobby bar very nice as well.

We ate at Champions which is their restaurant and sports bar. While the atmosphere is great the service is absolutely TERRIBLE in the bar area! I agree completely with a previous posters review of the bar. I really don't understand it at all. I almost wish we had sat in the restaurant once to see if it was soley a bar staff thing or the restaurant itself. I'm inclined to think it's the bar staff because I would have to ask 2 or 3 times for another glass of wine or a glass of water. We ordered dinner and waited forever for it. ON our 2nd night there we were there very late, around 11:30. I was exhausted from all of the lines to wait for vouchers etc for our missed connection. I ordered a drink and an appetizer as did my husband. Our drinks came right away but I had to ask 3 times for some water to take some motrin. I watched our waitress just hanging out at the bar. I saw other patrons waiting forever as well for food unhappily. After waiting about 25 minutes for our appetizers I finally flagged our waitress over and told her we were exhausted and just wanted to leave. She went quickly back to the kitchen and "voila" our food appeared. The bar servers have to physically walk back to the kitchen to check on the food and if they get caught up in something else you're not going to see your food for a LONG time. Food was good, just terrible service. If you want to eat here and don't want to linger, DON'T sit in the bar!

This would always be my choice in hotel while staying in Atlanta for an overnight before or after a flight. Highly recommend just don't sit in the bar if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RP8133
Georgia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

1 night stay for business meeting. The room was clean, bed was very comfortable, shower was great...and they have room service! Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank mmdy
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a new hotel, nicely appointed, but I stayed over on a Saturday night and the service was not up to Marriott standards at all. I stay at Marriott's almost exclusively when traveling (at least 50 nights per year) and therefore have several points of comparison with previous stays at other properties. On Saturday night, the hotel was busy but not packed and yet bar service was slow and the bartender had an attitude. She took my drink order and then proceeded to head down to the other end of the bar and socialize for at least 10 min. and never did serve my beer. Instead, the food and beverage manager asked what I had ordered after he realized no one was getting my order and poured it for me. The bartender then came back apparently perturbed that he had done that and didn't say a word to me for the rest of the evening. By the way, the tap was about 12 inches from my hand and I was considering a self-service option. I then ordered a burger and it arrived an hour later after 5 different people were supposedly "checking on it." There is also a problem with the cable reception (at least in my room) and the Internet service, both wired and wireless was horribly slow as well. Also, there are no pay per view movies, which is very unusual for a full-service Marriott. Finally, in the morning I went into the bathroom off the lobby, and while I'll spare you the details, suffice to say it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The one bright spot is that the food and beverage manager was very apologetic and did comp my burger, so maybe there are some bright spots in the service spectrum. However, overall this property needs work in the training area, or perhaps should consider hiring some new staff for key positions. Definitely not up to Marriott standards.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Albert B
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The staff, the service and the restaurant at this hotel were all amazing. Very convenient and easy to get to from sky train. Will definitely stay here again. Good job Mariott!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank sabtr
Southfield, MI
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I traveled to the Marriott Gateway hotel for a workshop event held in the convention center on the adjoining grounds. From the check in, to the check out. The staff and accomodations were first class. The rooms are clean and beautiful. I do, however, question why the rooms are equipped with a small refridge, but no microwave????? With this exception--the entire experience was a good one. From the entrance of the hotel to each floor--the elevators to the workout facility. I'm a Marriiott's reward member, so I called ahead for early check in. I arrived at 8:30 a.m., and I was able to go up to my room, relax, and proceed to take in the ATL experience.

Room Tip: Given the location of the hotel--at the airport, you may want to request a room that overlooks the g...