“Original and delicious!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Empire State South is hitting on all cylinders. The space is casual and comfortable. The food is fun and delicious. The chef is doing interesting things with food preparation and local ingredients. The wine list has many options from around the world. This is conveniently located in midtown. Highly recommended!

2  Thank BSSGSS

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Went for our daughter's birthday brunch this past Sunday. The food was quite good but our waiter forgot to bring our daughter's order with the other five in our party wondering what to do.

Didn't bring the grits for another in our party until we asked and she had completed the rest of her meal. It remained on the check.

Too bad because this is a nice place with great ambiance for brunch but poor service is kind of a turn off.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just wow! All I can say about ess is that it lives up to the hype for me.
Ridiculously inventive wine list with serious bottles under $30. Perfectly executed entrees that allows all favors to complement one another.

The pimento cheese with bacon marmalade is crack in a jar. The rest of the jars were great but held no weight to the pimento.

Entrees: smoked duck (best I have had anywhere,) Georgia trout (again, best trout I have had anywhere,) Brown butter ravioli also amazing and made with love and care.

Split one of cynthia's amazing desserts and loved every minute of it. This clearly sets the bar high for restaurants and experiences in Atlanta. Truly a special place in my book.

One down side to note: craft cocktails were not that special.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Hugh Acheson may be one of the best chefs in Georgia, if not the country. His updated take on regional Southern cuisine is spot-on. The service at ESS is great, and the seasonal menu is as varied and ever-changing as it is delicious. I've dined here on multiple occasions for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed.

The only criticisms I might offer are that the location of the restaurant, in the ground floor of an office highrise, is somewhat (what's the opposite of charming?) and the waitstaff uniforms evoke Dust Bowl refugees - while I appreciate the dressed down approach, it's not really what I want to be seeing when I'm dining at a nice restaurant.

1  Thank hfkmd
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We had the crispy pork belly for starters, then the catfish and smoked duck for the main. For our sides, we opted for the garlic farro and collard greens. Had a glass of reisling and a pinot noir.
Every bite and sip I took just blew me away. I had to take time to savor each bite because my senses were stirred and amazed. The food had beautiful flavor combinations, wonderful play on textures, pleasing whiff of aroma.

Our waiter was very attentive and happy to help with the menu. The ambience was elegant with a relaxed feel. The rustic wood with the turquoise-y walls and accents was very pleasing to the eye. It was not loud, just pleasantly people-filled.

The whole experience was an awakening of sorts, I can't quite describe it. I never thought food can actually be this good. My one word of advice though is this: if you are in the mood for food to be devoured and chomped, this may not be the place for you. Don't get me wrong--nothing can touch this restaurant in my opinion. You will be compelled to take time with every bite simply because it is THAT GOOD. By the time you are done with your dish, an hour has passed and you're almost sad it's all over. I went home still thinking about the food. Seriously.