“Inconsistent”

Cuisines: Asian
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 29, 2017

The food at the Orient Express is inconsistent. I've had 2 star, 3 star and 4 star experiences. When it's good it's really good and when it's bad, well, you know.

They have about 38 entrees on their Lunch Menu so you should find something you like. Most lunch items are $8.50 and include soup or salad, fried rice and an egg roll. (Soup/salad are not included for take out or delivery) The food arrived hot and fast.
I'd estimate the size of their Lunch entree is about 1/2 of what you get at Dinner -which is reflected in the price.

We got our favorites, Mongolian Chicken and Mongolian Beef. Both were tasty but here's were the inconsistency part comes in again. The Mongolian Chicken was really good with the right amount of onions, meat and sauce. The Mongolian Beef was a whole other story. It was greasy, loaded with tons of green onions and had a minimal amount of beef. The lackluster 'fried rice' that comes with it is not the same as their delicious entree fried rice.

I know the food is inconsistent but I keep ordering from here.
I'm either an optimist or a gambler.

1  Thank BlueBeachGlass

Reviewed June 29, 2017

We have been there for Chinese food, for Japanese food cooked on the grill at the table, and for sushi. All were good. And the service is always friendly and efficient. Great place for a casual quick oriental meal

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed June 25, 2017 via mobile

Loved the old train atmosphere!! Good food and service. Looking forward to coming back to try the Chinese side of the restaurant.

Reviewed June 15, 2017

On June3, my family & I ate at the hibachi section of Orient Express. I have eaten at hibachi restaurants many times. This one was definitely not my favorite. The prices for the standard hibachi fare were $6-$10 higher than other hibachi restaurants. I ordered shrimp and I still think the grill was too hot. My shrimp was fully cooked 5 to 7 minutes before they were served. I kept hoping the chef would serve them to me sooner than he did. They were so overcooked it was difficult to bite in half on chopsticks. I finally had to cut them with my fork. My husband said his chicken was overcooked too. Most hibachi restaurants offer ice cream or sherbet, but this one did not. For the prices charged, I would have liked something more than overcooked shrimp!

Reviewed June 12, 2017

Looking for some good Chinese food? How about some Sushi? You’ve come to the right

First of all, this ambiance of the restaurant is very unique. It is made out of 2 remodeled railroad train car coaches, sitting along a very busy rail line in the Vinings. They have been here for years, which is a sign of success in the restaurant business.

We enjoyed Won Tong Soup, spring rolls. General Tso Chicken and Pork Fried Rice. All fresh, hot and delicious. The service was spot on also.

The restaurant has a separate area for the sushi eater. There is a nice outside eating area as well that includes a koi pond.

I had not been here is a few years, but just as fresh, delicious and charming as I remember.

Date of visit: May 2017