“Passable” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Passable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was here on business by myself. The room was OK, nothing fancy. The 3 things I care about when I travel for work, in order of importance:
(1) quiet room-- I don't like hearing elevator doors, or other guests or their TVs. The Ellis was great on this one.

(2) Comfortable bed, bedding, and pillows-- just meh on this one. Passable, but not extra comfortable.

(3) Awesome shower-- quite bad. This was one of the worst hotel showers I've had in a while, and I travel a *lot*.-- terrible water pressure, the hot/cold was hard to control, the shower itself was awkward and uncomfortable.

The breakfast was good, and it is nearby Georgia State, but it is generally not in a great neighborhood. Try the new Mexican place up the block-- it is AWESOME!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank iron_monkey_fist666
tlyon-mercado, Director of Sales at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
On behalf of everyone at The Ellis we would like to thank you for your genuine feedback. We’re glad that the room’s noise level was comfortable to you and I assure you that any shortcomings with our bathing amenities will be addressed promptly. We have a new chef at The Terrace and he will be happy to hear you enjoyed your breakfast. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Tracey Lyon-Mercado, Director of Sales at The Ellis Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Ellis Hotel is one of Atlanta's hidden gems...the hotel, their staff, and their F & B service all exceed expectations!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on being a hidden gem of Atlanta. We’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay and that our staff and property exceeded your expectations. We hope the next time you’re in Atlanta you will choose to stay with us again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a weekend in the city. Following a friend's recommendation, we stayed at The Ellis given the property's close proximity to nightlife. Try the room service! The Brunch was as good as dining on the Terrace. In-room dining can be tricky but they just gave us another reason to stay put for the better part of the morning! That night we had an outstanding dinner over looking Peachtree St.-try the grouper or scallops. The Ellis is a must stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek R
We’re delighted to hear you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay with us including your brunch and dinner at The Terrace. I’m a fan of the scallops too, as well as the view! Hope you had a great time exploring the nightlife Atlanta has to offer and we’d love to host you again on your next night out in the city.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I absolutely love this Hotel. I have stayed at other Hotels in Atlanta, and none give you the upscale, modern luxuries like the Ellis.
The rooms aren't the largest rooms, but the overall feel of the Hotel makes up for the room's lack of size.
Every time I have stayed here, the staff has been extremely friendly and willing to help in anyway they can. This includes the front desk staff, the doorman, the wait staff at Terrace, and the cleaning staff.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Atlanta. I have even persuaded friends to cancel their reservations at other hotels, such as the Westin and the Hyatt.

Room Tip: For a larger room, chose the Premium option. If you have a AAA membership the discount will pay for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brandon G
tlyon-mercado, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you! We are glad you have found a new 'home' in Atlanta. We strive to exceed expectations with a passion to serve others. Next time you visit, please save room for fantastic fare at Terrace. We are a sustainable, organic whenever possible, Farm-To-Table restaurant and currently work with over 27 local farmers, producers, artisans and fisherman. Oh, and the desserts are to-die-for! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback..
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I found that the Ellis was to the standards I require. My wife and I ate breakfast on the Terrace one morning and enjoyed it, the buffet was starting to get cold but we didn't get there until 11am. I would recommend the Ellis to anyone wanting to stay in heart of Atlanta's downtown. We opened our windows and thoroughly enjoyed the sounds of the city!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank StarzTravel
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are glad you have found a new 'home' in Atlanta. We strive to exceed expectations with a passion to serve others. Next time you visit, please save room for fantastic fare at Terrace. We are a sustainable, organic whenever possible, Farm-To-Table restaurant and currently work with over 27 local farmers, producers, artisans and fisherman. Oh, and the desserts are to-die-for! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback..
Colbert, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Very nice experience. From the moment I first pulled up to the minute I left had nothing but a great experience! The staff went out of there way to make sure they always smiled, spoke, asked if I needed anything... and the Hotel was beautiful! Will stay here next time I am in Atlanta!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

On March 23 I took a party of 8 to the Terrace Restaurant of the Ellis Hotel – a couple of us were hotel guests. When the rather large bill came I added a generous 20%+ tip of $140. It wasn’t until after I paid the bill that I noticed that a gratuity had already been added, of $104. The waitress had failed to inform me that a gratuity had already been added, and was obviously hoping to hoodwink me into paying her two tips. As soon as I got up from the table and began to look for a manager to complain about this, someone came rushing up to intercept me – I presume he was a manager – and settled the matter by removing the extra $140 tip. I can’t prove it, but I suspect he was in on the scam with the waitress, and had been watching me to see if I would notice what had been done.
I don’t recall that the menu made any mention of this automatic gratuity policy; the menu posted online– which appears to be a photocopy of the restaurant menu – does not mention it. But that is beside the point – the waitress obviously should have pointed out to me that a gratuity had been already included.
The Ellis Hotel and the Terrace Restaurant make a point of using the trendy word “sustainable” in their advertising. What the management does not seem to understand is that cheating their customers is not a sustainable business model. There are plenty of reputable restaurants and hotels in Atlanta, and I recommend that everyone avoid this rip-off joint.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jiminptc
tlyon-mercado, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Mr “Jiminptc”:

On behalf of the entire hotel, I would like to personally apologize for what happened to you on the evening of March 23rd at the Ellis Hotel. As with most independent hotels, much of the business here at the Ellis comes from repeat guests, so we always want to try and make sure all of our guests have a positive experience. Clearly, that did not happen in your case and for that I am truly sorry.
Since we received your review, all of our staff has been retrained on how to properly inform guests with a party of 6 or more, that an automatic gratuity has been added to their check. The server whom waited on you is facing appropriate disciplinary action. Reviews, such as yours on TripAdvisor, are taken very seriously and are viewed by the Ellis Hotel Management as a valuable training tool which we use constantly to improve our level of customer service.
The management and staff of the Ellis Hotel want all of our guests to have a positive experience when they come to the hotel. We feel what occurred during your experience was an isolated incident and we have taken every effort to ensure this never happens again.
Should you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. My direct line is 678.651.2760 or bgilchrist@ellishotel.com .
Once again, I am truly sorry and embarrassed for what happened to you the evening of March 23, 2012, and I hope you will accept my sincere apology.

Very truly yours,