1,566 results
All reviewsboutique hotelfront deskgreat boutiquepeachtree streetstreet noiseheart of downtownmarta stationchain hotelswithin walking distancerooms are smallcorner roomvalet servicebusiness triproom servicevalet parkingworld of coca colabusiness or pleasure
Reviewed August 6, 2015 via mobile

After reading 4 negative reviews in a row (on the same day) just days prior to our arrival, I was a bit worried about staying here. Thankfully, most of the negativity in those reviews seemed isolated (maybe the hotel was having a bad day!) We didn't experience most of that and, on the contrary, had a very enjoyable time!

We booked this hotel in advance and paid $99/night for our stay (a bargain, considering what similar hotels in the area were charging on this very busy weekend, specially last minute). We were in town to attend a concert at Philips Arena, and the walk from the hotel was easy, although it may be a bit long for those with mobility issues. I was a bit worried about walking back late at night, but my fears were unfounded.

The hotel is a small boutique hotel in an older building. I have started gravitating towards these type of properties in the last few years, partly to try something different and partly to avoid the crowds at larger hotels. The Ellis is a charming property, well kept, with modern decor, and it definitely delivers what it promises.

Some notes:

- Front desk staff is very friendly and always smiling. We arrived around 3pm, walked right up and checked in. Within 2 minutes we were in the elevator, headed to our room.
- Our room was on the 16th floor, overlooking Centennial Park (although the view was partially blocked by the equipment on the roof on the building next door). The room is on the small side, but nicely appointed and tastefully decorated. The furniture and soft furnishings are starting to look just a bit dinged and faded, although not terrible yet, so I recommend to management that they don't wait too long to address this. The room was very clean, although the strong smell of cleaner was a bit overpowering when we first walked in the room.
- 2 elevators for such a small property seemed more than adequate. We never had to wait more than a minute or two for the elevator.
- Ice machines are located on every floor (although the one on my floor was empty, so I had to go to a different one). A soda machine is located on the 15th floor.
- The hotel is on busy Peachtree Street so valet parking seemed a bit chaotic. My proactive wife got out of the car to go find a valet attendant, but she found him quickly and he then took our car without further wait time.
- The location is perfect. Plenty of restaurants and bars within a short walk, MARTA station next door, and also a stop for the Atlanta Streetcar right across the street which takes you right to Centennial Park if you don't feel like walking there.

Overall, it was a nice stay at a quaint little hotel. Definitely not for those who prefer the cookie cutter, high energy and crowded experience provided by larger hotel chains, so go with realistic expectations!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Kevin G, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2015

Thank you so much for your nice comments about your recent stay at the Ellis Hotel
Our staff works hard to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome. It is always nice to hear when we have accomplished that goal. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Atlanta.

Kind Regards
Kevin Grell

Reviewed August 4, 2015

The property remains atop my list of intimate boutique properties in ATL. My review may not be as glowing as it has been in the past as the overall experience wasn't as amazing as previous stays. However, it still ranks as a top 5 property in ATL for me.
Great to see Samson again - always atop of our transportation needs to the level of anticipating them - a rarity anymore. The front end team did a very good job, however not great and that's okay even if your expectations are higher than most - the gals could have been more "on their game" but not everyone has great days everyday. The F&B team again were on their game from great room service to the Terrace being as fabulous as it always is/was - attentive, nearby, pleasant, happy, consistently high quality/quantity of food/drinks.
The property is showing signs of wear - I've been coming here for 6 years as of 2015 - with this stay up on 15 the fresh air floor. The floor was very comfortable, the view over the entry (east - with views of Stone Mtn, GP and Ritz-Carlton) is not the most desirable with the noise below. I don't recall specifics regarding other views, however I remember Carnegie/Marriott Courtyard (I think) was quieter. The specifics - the bed linens were picked/pilled and not as "tight" as I would have expected them to be. This impression was compounded by the fact that housekeeping missed cleaning the room entirely in our 2 night stay - very disappointing. Now to their defense, we didin't leave our room until lunch time either - but being gone for 4 hours certainly left a disappointing feeling that in that time, on that floor, with our loyalty, they missed this point - a bit embarrassing. I was surprised there was no frig on this floor/room given the fact that I've always had one in a room and never had to request one. Another point of anticipation that the team missed. The cleanliness of the room was meh, which was the other disappointing fact. There's a standard and upholding a standard is easy ONCE the standard is set. Sad commentary on the attitude of IDGAF is what my perception was - sink, around toilet, shower tiles, shower doors were haphazardly given a "once over" in my opinion - definitely not up to standard. Wifi sucked on the floor - barely could connect and limited connectivity consistently - was able to connect to Ritz across the street with stronger signal that here.
I love the property and always willing to stay here in relative competition to the other adjacent properties, but when in comparison to other boutique hotels in town, I just may have to consider the others - W, 12 Centennial, Artmore, Indigo, etc. So, step it up back to the gem of ATL that you've always been. Even rock stars have bad days - don't make it another one.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank J SCOTT S

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to the Ellis Hotel and welcome back home!
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel welcome and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Kind Regards
Kevin Grell

Reviewed August 3, 2015

I have been in this hotel during July 2015. The Hotel is located downtown Atlanta on the Peachtree Street, and it is close to the main Atlanta attractions. In addition it is 5 minutes walking from Congress Center. The personnel at the reception was very polite but it took too long to get the the key (some computer problem). The room was nice but quite small and old fashion. The air conditioning was noisy and it was difficult to be controlled. The breakfast was not good with a not very large choice of dishes and above all with the chef preparing food inside a small room filling it up with smell and smoke. The wifi was free but not working. The ratio price/quality was not really favourable.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit. We truly appreciate your feedback. Our staff works hard to make our guests feel comfortable and welcomed.

I have passed on your comments to all departments for review.

Reviewed July 31, 2015

I don't know why that hotel is rated so good. The rooms are partly cleaned,e.g. the magazines which provide information about Atlanta were covered with dust, the TV has a terrible picture quality, Internet doesn't work and the cleaning lady didn't show up today. The furniture is old and scratched. The bed was comfortable and the stuff is really friendly, but that doesn't save the stay anyway. Totally overpriced for the quality it provides. May be it should be rated as 2+ stars hotel.

Stayed: July 2015
1  Thank Deniza_Ianev
Kevin G, Front Office Manager at The Ellis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a survey for our property. I sincerely want to apologize for falling short for your room condition. This is not our normal standard and apologizes that we could not make your stay more enjoyable.

I have passed your comments on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments, I hope you will visit us again, so you can see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed July 30, 2015

First the good part, I ordered room service. It took 40 minutes but when it arrived it was very good.

I had expected an overall a nice experience. This was a very bad week. When I arrived I was informed their computers were down. But then the wireless was not working, the elevator was not working, my keys were not working, the lamp in my room was not working, nor was the phone in my room. The room was overall very tired. Not what I was expecting at all. I travel often for business and expect internet along with running water. When I went to the front desk to see what could be done, the desk clerk told me he would tell the people who handle that for the hotel. I explained that step had been taken the first night but I was still without service on the 2nd day. He said "that is all I can do. They handle it. I just tell them." That was his answer. I was dismissed. I did not expect that from a well reviewed "boutique" hotel. What happened? I would have made my disappointment time known at the time of checkout but NO ONE ASKED how my stay was, did I enjoy myself, sleep well or anything of that sort. I was just told they would email my bill which has not arrived.

The front desk proudly posted their Tripadvisor Platnium rating and I thought it was wise to let others know that it is not keeping up.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank BizTraveler47

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience caused regarding the WiFI, we did have some equipment that failed and caused a WiFi black out throughout the hotel. Our IT Service was working on it and it's difficult to give estimated times for any repairs. we do thank you for being patient with us. I do apologize again.

I do hope that you stay with us again so you can really see how great our service is.