“Hot and Muggy”

20:00
Ranked #479 of 4,058 Restaurants in Atlanta
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub
Description: The Southern Gentleman is a Southern-inspired gastropub in The Shops Buckhead Atlanta development. The concept celebrates every aspect of what it means to be from the South with a fresh, modern take on traditional dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. The bar program explores the artistry and history of classic Southern cocktails along with a whiskey list that includes over 120 varieties for guests to explore.
Reviewed June 27, 2021

The place is hot and muggy. I guess the AC was broken. Hostess needs customer service training. Despite having reservations, we were left standing off to the side, even though there were open tables. Management wasn't very helpful either.
But worst of all a fly flew in our food.

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (156)

Reviewed May 3, 2021

A friend and I visited the southern gentleman for dinner on a sunday night. I found it to be loud ,hot and with no organization. The staff wore their mask under their nose and seem to be a bit overwhelmed. We had the oysters on the half shell and they taste like they were drowned in lime juice, the butter lettuce salad was just a bowl of lettuce with celery shavings and a hint of dressing. The main course wasn't any better the fried chicken left much to be desired and the lack of common condiments was beyond me. Considering how much searching it took for us to even find this place I thought I would be in for a treat but that was not the case.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed February 16, 2021 via mobile

I saw an ad for this place on social media for months now and decided to visit for brunch. There is a parking garage but if you’re new to the plaza you’re likely to get lost as I did looking for this place on the 2nd floor. I had a reservation but they understood when I informed them I was confused searching for the steps to get there. Otherwise the ambiance is causal and I like the bar area. Staff and service was friendly. I had the banana bread French toast and it was absolutely delicious! My fiancée had the burger with the special bacon jam and fries. I didn’t get a drink since it was 1PM but needless to say I was impressed and will be back. I’d recommend for a nice brunch and will try a mimosa next time!

Date of visit: February 2021
2  Thank atlgamestartraveler
Reviewed January 28, 2021 via mobile

My visit was on a chilly Monday evening in January, but the spot still seemed Covid safe enough to visit. They have an extensive whiskey collection, so I had what turned out to be a great Old Fashioned. For food, I ordered the caramelized beet salad to start, and their fried chicken for my main. The starter was quite good, but the fried chicken was simply awesome. Overall, I had a great time here (with the possible exception of having almost too attentive service) - would definitely check it out again!

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed October 11, 2020

Just had brunch at the Southern gentleman. I really wanted to like it, but I found it underwhelming. Our service was really bad, I would say the food fine, but nothing special. Also, the website talks about all their Covid and social distancing measures, but there was absolutely no social distancing of any sort inside the restaurant---no extra spacing place between tables/customers whatsoever.We sat on the patio, and the tables might have been 6 feet apart, but could have been better. I certainly wouldn't go back based on the current safety measures, but the experience overall was not great and for the price, I'd expect a lot more.

Date of visit: October 2020