See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We spend a few days in Coron so we could visit all the sites then headed out to Mangenguey for Valentines Day. We were on our Aniversery and wanted to end with some romantic down time. It was a great choice. The place was clean and very well run. The staff was freindly, helpful and professional. The resort had 3 couple besides ourself. We eat together for some meals and really enjoyed the diverse company. For Valentines dinner the set out individual tables by the beach with candles spread out tastfully on the ground around us. It was very nice, the food was great. For a touch of class at the end of the world it can not be beat.
Richard and Helena we perfect hosts and everything work smoothly ( which is not the case most of the time in the Philippines) We live in the Philippines and miss some Filipino Culture. I would highly recomend Mangenguey for any one looking for Solitude in a first class environment.

Room Tip: Bring Cash as they have only Filipino Credit Card service
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bula2424
Reviewed March 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I came to Mangenguey for three nights at the start of a trip around the Philippines - and only wish we could have stayed a lot longer!

It was quite simply one of the loveliest places I've ever seen - with beautiful pristine white sand beaches, spectacular sunsets and amazing coral reefs no more than 10 yards off the shore.

Helena is a wonderful cook and reading some of the negative reviews below I cannot recognise the charming friendly woman we met in them at all. We were surprised that the food was European rather than Filipino recipes but Richard and Helena's background in New York restaurants explains this - and it really was all delicious with the most amazing fish stew I've ever tasted.

Richard is absolutely lovely - I cannot stress our gratitude to him enough. He took us on two expeditions around the island - climbing rocks and snorkelling into caves - which made our trip so special. He's a fascinating man and kept us very entertained with stories in the evenings too!

Regarding some of the negative comments - yes the amenities are more basic than you would expect in other Philippines hotels for the price - but when you think you are on what is basically a desert island it's pretty impressive! The desalinator wasn't working when we went and the staff were having to roll barrels of fresh water in from the beach and up to the kitchen - it makes you a lot more aware of wasting resources which can't be a bad thing. We were still very comfortable there.

You are expected to eat with the other guests in the evening as a default but I'm sure you wouldn't have to do that if you didn't want to. We found it a really interesting approach and we really enjoyed getting to know some Russian rocket scientists (seriously!)

We also loved the no-children policy - we love children (honestly!) but it's really nice to be staying somewhere entirely adults only. You're not mollycoddled here and it makes it so much more fun.

My boyfriend and I stayed in other five-star hotels around the Philippines but nowhere was as enjoyable as this! I'm already dreaming about hiring the whole island for my 40th birthday party......!

Thanks Helena and Richard for a brilliant time xx

Room Tip: We stayed on one of the cottages and woke to sunrise every morning - bliss!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlie_girling
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Although the location is a paradise, the staff and the hosts, to the exception of Richard,were rude, impolite and unprofessional.

Arrival
The first thing you are being handed over when you arrive instead of a glass of water or a juice like at most luxurious resorts, are forms you need to sign off the minute you have touched based on the island. Worth noting that the location being in a remote place, it would take most people coming from the US or Europe about 24h. The island is situated about 3h boat ride from the city of Coron, on the busuanga island, about 1h flight from Manila.

Food and meals
Although the food is generally good it is not exceptional and certainly not to the standard of a 4/5 star hotel. Also if you have a special diet such as eating fish and no meat you will be charged an additional $25 per day on top of $75. In my opinion eating fish on an island shouldn't be an issue and more eco-friendly than Parma ham imported from Italy at exorbitant prices....

General hospitality
This is the main issue we have experienced on the island. Although the website sells a formidable and hospitable atmosphere to foster intellectual conversation between people and where Helena wanted establish her salon, the atmosphere we've experienced is one of a tyrannic and bossy hostess with little savoir-vivre or warmth and on the contrary rather rude and arrogant. When we arrived on the island before lunch we weren't greeted by Helena until the evening and in a rather laconic way. The only sentences she addressed to us (apart from the rather rude one I will detail below) were: "lunch good?" or "dinner good?". As a second example when a friend joined us later on the island after a very long trip from Sydney, in her usual fashion she sent her employee to ask him to sign-off the forms straight away and pay the additional amount for the room. Since I had negotiated a discount price of $350 for the 2 bedroom cottage Mimosa for 3 people occupancy I explained that the additional person should only pay $30 extra as per the website rate and asked her to check with Helena as we had agreed by email. About 5 minutes later we got the visit from Helena (notwithstanding she had never spoken to us) asking without even greeting my friend freshly arrived after an 18h flight, or rather barking what was the problem. She was so aggressive with us that we didn't want to discuss and agreed to pay the double rate. When my friend went to the office to pay he was asked to give his credit card so they can make a copy of both sides of his credit card which he refused as one should while travelling. Helena then informed in front of my friend that my friend was leaving the island and they should get a boat ready to leave the island. It was 9pm!

Prices and service
Totally overpriced. You're paying for a 4/5 star rate but it is mostly 2 star if not less. You feel at someone's place and you are disturbing and that anything you ask is totally inappropriate. You don't even get water during the day in this heat. And this is not due to a lack of staff... The room usually doesn't get cleaned until the following afternoon which makes it uneasy to use considering we were 4 people sharing a 2 bedroom cottage.
Due to Helena's tyrannic management the Filipino staff is afraid of her and has lost total sense of simple hospitality than most Filipino are naturally good at. Some take on her arrogant attitude and have no sense of running a hospitality business. We also learned that they worked about 13h a day with only 4 days break in a month!

Overall a place to absolutely avoid.
Although the concept keeps attracting people to this resort that is a place to absolutely avoid if you don't like being ripped-off and talked to arrogantly. The region is beautiful and club paradise has been recommended to us ... But who knows if it's not another tyrannic western woman exploiting the local staff and ripping-off tourists lured in another paradise....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
36  Thank MlleCoco
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I had the most amazing and romantic vacation visiting this breathtaking island. The stunning white beach and the fantastic variation of beautiful corals and marine life set the perfect frame for a both relaxing and adventurous experience. We stayed in one of the charming cottages on the beach with a gorgeous and very personal interior design. We enjoyed the most astounding sun sets from our terrace while sipping a young coconut or one of the many delicious island cocktails from the the menu. The staff and the owners – Helena and Richard – will treat you as family and make sure that all you wishes come true. It’s not often that you get to meet people with such dedication, kindness, passion and energy!

We got up early every morning and walked the 10 meters down to beach for a morning swim and a spectacular sun rise. Breakfast was served at the waterfront (lots of fresh fruit, homemade croissants and marmalade, young coconut and coffee). The afternoons were spent at the beach and in the azure blue water snorkeling or paddling kayaks. The three courses meals (both lunch and dinner) are very special. Helena is truly a remarkable chef and her cocking makes the island a foodies’ paradise. You’re in for a very special treat 
Words and pictures can only describe a sliver of the beauty of Mangenguey Island. We highly recommend you to go – we promise that you will get a very special memory for life. We certainly did!

To Helena and Richard: We miss your unique paradise, your lovely company and kindness, your cocking and cocktails. THANK you for making our visit so memorable! We really hope that we can come back to visit some day. Take care.

Mikael & Marianne

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mikael G
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We just came back from Mangenguey and we are already missing it so much! I can't understand the bad reviews... At the beginning I was worried about getting bored and the bad reviews but there is always something to do like visiting the island, kayaking or going with Richard for a walk. He is amazing, very interesting, ecological friendly and I loved the way they built the resort respecting the nature. It's not cheap but is the price for a remote place far from all the noise in the cheap place of Coron city and you have the service of a five star resort.

• Stayed: February 2012