See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband, daughter & I spent our summer vacation in Mangenguey island and when we arrived on the island, we did not feel welcome like in the other resorts we've been to like being greeted with welcome drinks and a smiling staff.When we arrived in our hut,the first thing they did was make us sign a waiver that the owners of the resort will not be held responsible for anything.
Breakfast, Lunch and dinner was served at a particular time and since the electricity source is from a generator, they usually cut off the electricity at 6am so you wake up sweaty when the air-conditioning unit turns off. On the second day of our stay my husband had diarrhea and we wanted to cut short our stay to go to the hospital or buy medicines in the main island 3 hours away but instead of being sympathetic to my dehydrated husband from his diarrhea the lady owner confronted us angrily and told us we will be charged for our 3 day stay which is not a problem at all for us because its not the money thats important to us but to leave the island so we can seek medical attention. Generally, the island is a nice place for snorkelling, food is okay but nothing to do after dinner as there are no amenities like TV Sets and DVDs, refrigerators, etc.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
24  Thank Mimi M
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I recently booked a room after doing extensive research and got a great rate with this hotel.
I was very excited and then I got an email stating that they made a "mistake" and couldn't honor the rate. They already took the deposit so it doesn't make sense. I've been in the hotel business for over 10 years. When my hotel makes a mistake with rates, we have to honor them no matter what the cost. That's just good business. I'm just very disappointed because it took me weeks to make plans and now I have to make other arrangements. I just hope they make
the right decision and decide to honor my rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
26  Thank Yutz0907
HelenaMangenguey, Owner at Mangenguey Island, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Yes is true this lady made a booking on a night that our system had a glitch and our SUITE PRICES WERE LISTED AS PHP 500 pesos instead of USD 500 an OBIOUS MISSTAKE since is impossible to booked a 4 * hotel suite for PHP 500/USD 12 a night !!!!! Now, it maybe standard in the Industry to accept things like this.....but Mangenguey is NOT a STANDARD kind of place. Because of the seasonal nature of our business, the remoteness of our location and the fact that we are a small independent Hotel.... because we are custodians of a small paradise that requires lots of out keep and because we provide livelihood for over 20 families we simply cannot support that kind of financial lost !!!

We thank you and Hope for your forgiveness and understanding on this matter.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Firstly, the place is truly paradise, the rooms (some real interesting décor) beach and reef are amazing and it was lovely. I know there a lot of poor reviews but the overall rating of this place speaks volumes.

However I must agree with the general feeling that the focus on money is really distasteful and borderline petty... I spent over $2000 for a 3 night jaunt so I find the petty service fees and money grabbing as a mater of principle disappointing. Nancy and the lead service gentlemen were brilliantly friendly and did they

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
11  Thank Adan R

It is always sad to get a bad review because we always try very hard to do the very BEST to INSURE a PERFECT STAY FOR ALL OUR GUESTS....But alas sometimes that seems impossible!

All our prices are clearly stated during the booking and our bar menu was presented on the Welcome Package. Our prices are International Standard; I will let OUR RECORD SPEAK BY IT SELF.

Gracias,

Helena of Mangenguey

Reviewed October 27, 2013

The most noteworthy thing about the resort is the food. The evening meals alone were worth the up charge: Paella with huge pieces of seafood, and seasonings that did not overpower; a steak that was probably Kobe, and was the best we had ever had (saying a lot for 60 year old Texans); wonderful desserts; fresh greens for salads. One lunch we had an octopus salad that was exceptional.
Breakfast was not as impressive. One morning we only had sweet breads, no protein. But we were always given a beautiful tray of fruit with great variety and perfect ripeness. We would encourage the staff to allow guests to have coffee earlier than 8:00. We were jet lagged and were up early. We wanted to watch the sun rise with coffee but it seemed to be an issue, initially.
In general, the staff were very attentive. They work hard to maintain a clean beach and grounds.
The decor of the main gathering area is unique for the Philippines. It is modern and open but decorated with vintage items that make it very romantic.
There is not a lot to do during the day. We had a local dive operator come get us to take us scuba diving a couple of times, but the visability in October was very poor. Snorkeling on the reef, just off the beach, was good. We enjoyed sitting under a tree, watching birds, and studying the beautiful scenery.
I would recommend this resort as a relaxing escape.

Room Tip: We liked the Crimson room for the value, and the fun decor. The bathroom reminded us of a treehouse. The huge balcony afforded great views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Basically remember this - when you are on this island you will have to stay till the end of your trip no matter how bad things get. trip back to main land is at least 2-3 hours and you'd have to use the boat of the resort if you were not smart enough to arrange your own transfer separately..

My sister and I stayed there last Nov 2012.

1) There were cocroaches in the room, on the bed, under it and in the bathroom. My sister coming from Switzerland got so freaked she insisted on sleeping with lights on all 3 nights we were there. The staff and the owner literally screamed (!!) at us for making commotion late at night about the roaches in our room and when we demanded they kill the insects they came into the room with the poison and literally sprayed all the bed sheets, our close, etc. with it. As if deliberately. all this was done with very sour and unhappy faces as if we should have been feeling guilty for the poor employees and owners and waking them up at 9 pm (!!) to kill sweet little cocroaches size of my palm in our room which we are paying 300$ for.. their explanation was: "You knew you were arriving into Paradise with wild nature, what did you expect..". Of course explanation that roaches aren't actually 'wild nature' but the by-product of poor cleaning service and hygiene were ignored.. We were totally ok with little gecko on the ceiling by the way. that's the sort of "wild nature" you expect on tropical island calling itself Utopia..

2) food - not what expected. my sister actually loved it but it was her second time in the country. as to me living in the Philippines for over 4 years and being around - it was standard. It was ok but nothing special. and of course the knowledge in the back of your mind that you have no choice other than eating this or you will stay hungry doesn't really help. Dinner area was gorgeous though, my most favorite place on the island - huge trees, sea view, breezy..

3) island itself is gorgeous of course. but they could have done much more with the decor. the villa we stayed in was way too simple. I'm not sure what they were going for - balinese style, traditional filipino style, "the cheaper-the better" style - it was neither here nor there.. the path to the dinner area could have been paved with some shells or stones, it would have looked so much better. the beach is not what you see at the pictures - it's narrow and becomes deep very quickly. basically don't expect amanpulo or balesin sort of beach. however if you like to dive and snorkle or swim instead of aimlessly walking for meters and meters for cheesy instagram pics - its a find :-) to get away from all the stupid and rude staff and owners we were snorkling all day long..

To sum up: beautiful island, great idea and not bad implementation but terrible, rude and impolite staff and owners. you basically feel like a hostage and realize that even if you don't like smth you can't voice it or you will be treated badly till the end of your stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
37  Thank Elena M
HelenaMangenguey, Owner at Mangenguey Island, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Is always sad to get a bad review because we always try very hard to do the very BEST to INSURE a PERFECT STAY FOR ALL OUR GUESTS....But alas sometimes that seams impossible!!!!
I cough try to reply to the comments but I wont, I will let OUR RECORD SPEAK BY IT SELF INSTEAD.
Gracias, Helena of Mangenguey