“SATURDAY LUNCH......VERY GOOD FOOD. FRIENDLY SERVICE.”
Review of John O'Gaunt Inn

John O'Gaunt Inn
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

We were in the area and decided to visit the John O'Gaunt based on Tripadvisor reviews.
When we arrived at about 12.30 the pub was empty and we thought it was closed but after checking the reservation book we were told they could fit us in, so they obviously had bookings coming in.
We ordered the steak and ale pie and the dressed crab and new potato salad.
Both were very nice, if I had to be critical I would say that it would have been better to have a few more new potatoes and chips with the pie as the portions were fairly small, but otherwise it was lovely because of its simplicity.....service, unlike some reviews we read, we found to be friendly and quick. Good food, good quality.... we would go back but if we were making a special visit we would book in advance.

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit and was so impressed with the level of service and the food was just fantastic.

Reviewed August 31, 2017

Best meal had for a long time. Food could not be faulted it was lovely. One of our party was not 100% that night so they packed her meal up for her to take home very thoughtful.

Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

My sister in law selected this restaurant as the website says gluten free & vegetarian options. Being both if these is difficult but most good establishment can cope. We arrived and I went to the side and asked for the gluten free menu or a menu with dietary information and there wasn't one. I then spoke to another waiter and tried to go through the menu and work out what I could have : for example soup no bread as they don't have gluten free bread . I asked about mains and was told I couldn't have the chips or roast potatoes as they have flour on them and are pre-prepared.
At this stage the rest of the party had been waiting along time and I was feeling really embarrassed.
Everyone decided to not have starters and they all ordered mains ( which I must add they were very happy with) I however had a prawn cocktail from the starter menu as my mains ( although I would rather not eat fish no alternative was suggested) . When it arrived it was prawn and a few leaves. The waiter brought a plate with two slices of bread on it . I asked if if it was gluten free as earlier I was told they didn't have any and he apologised as he forgot then took it away.
A menu with dietary information would have made this whole experience less painful + may highlight what little choice there is so the establishment could act on this.

Jane h, Owner at John O'Gaunt Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2017

Hello,
I am sorry to hear of your dining experience with us, our website does say we cater for vegetarians and gluten free options which we normally do very well, on this day we had 2 vegetarian choices which unfortunately both contained gluten, our mistake which made it difficult for us to cater for you and obviously the waiter who took your order didn't deal with you in the appropriate way for which I am sorry, I would have been on duty that day and could have helped better if you had asked to speak to me.
We a small independant pub, we don't have a big menu and cook freshly prepared food
It is difficult in the kitchen especially when it is busy to try to come up with dishes that haven't already been prepped for on the menu, customers with intolerances do sometimes phone ahead to chat about what they would like to eat before they arrive, gluten is easy to cater for when they eat fish, meat etc, vegetarian and gluten is a bit more difficult .
I would also like to add the rating of terrible you gave us is a little unfair in my opinion

Reviewed August 29, 2017

The pub itself was lovely....apart from lots of flies and no traps in view. They seemed to like it around our table and began to get very annoying.

The drinks were served prompty and the staff were all very nice.

The starters were fine

The mains.....we had fillet steak and peppercorn sauce, onion ring sides and a rocket & pinenut salad.
Absolutely everything in the main was over salted. We both left alot of our food and as it was so expensive, we ensured we ate the steak....but apart from eating a few chips each, most of the rest was left. It is unheard of for me to leave food....but I couldn't take anymore salt.

It was also very hot where we were seated and I really just wanted to finish up and leave.

I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal with us
It was hot in the restaurant the evening you visited, it was the hottest August bank holiday weekend for years, we had all the doors and windows open and unfortunately there were flies just as you would get at home. on our menu it does state clearly that the steaks are seasoned with maldon sea salt, I took your order, and also checked back at the table to ask if everything was to your liking, cleared your plates which didn't have much left on them, I also took payment from you for your bill
Why not say if you were so unhappy at the time and let us put it right