“An excellent birthday celebration” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Moat House

The Moat House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Acton Trussell
West Mids
“An excellent birthday celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Last evening we took advantage of the 'early doors' menu in the restaurant at The Moat House. I was a little worried about what to expect as I had booked the table to celebrate my husbands birthday and so wanted all to go well. We had a wonderful evening. The Restaurant was set beautifully, even the heady scent of the lillies didn't spoil the atmosphere. The staff were excellent, very efficient and really pleasant. The food was fabulous, we both really enjoyed every course, even the pudding which can be a let down sometimes. We both left feeling really full up!
I would recommend trying the early doors menu, the food is fabulous, if a little expensive when picked from the normal a la carte menu.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We attended our best friends weeding at the moat house october driving in I was took in by the grounds & thought how lovely the venue was.I was unable to book in to my room till 2clock so as the wedding was a early one made my way to the lovely church across the road.I first saw our room at 6 clock upon walking in the room I was a little shocked at the standard of the room for the money it cost,it was clean but the bed was small there was no fridge,there was no hair dryer which most hotels provide,no air con etc a little to basic for the money it cost! The function room for the wedding was first class & the food was lovely just a shame more effort hasn't gone in to the rooms to match the standard of the grounds & wedding function it self. The drinks are expensive! Over all enjoyed the stay but felt let down by our room & cost!

Room Tip: A room over looking gardens/ court yard
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank juliesubaru
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

I travel around the country a lot, giving lectures aboutmy books, and I booked into this hotel from the Internet, not expecting anything great. What a lovely surprise. From the minute my PA and arrived you could feel and see that this is an exceptional hotel. It smells fresh and clean, the staff - all local - were friendly, committed and obviously take great pride in the hotel. My room (133) was comfortable, immaculately clean, well designed and well equipped. The pillows smelled fresh and new. Good ventilation. The window looked out over a canal and pretty towpath. The restaurant is pleasant and airy with good views; staff attentive and knowlegeable. At dinner I had a duck egg and black pudding concoction which was worthy of a top Parisienne restaurant. The bill for two courses with a glass of wine was under £45. This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in in this country. Can't recommend it highly enough. Extremely good value for money. Mary S Lovell.

Room Tip: If you require a really quite room ask for one overlooking the pond and on the other side you can he...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MaryLovell
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed here recently on business, travelling from London. We were recommended the hotel from other colleagues, and we were not let down. The property is wonderful, staff a credit, but we have a special mention for their restaurant. The food and service was excellent, and so very value for money.............we dine in London at least twice a week on business, and the style of food was excellent, as was the service, also an excellent wine list, again very value for money. This is our first visit, we will be back, and i personally recommend this hotel to my many colleagues. Overall, a little gem.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank liam j
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was our third visit , and I was really looking forward to it as we had only stayed in the winter before, and had enjoyed our stay. The grounds are lovely , no doubt this is a really lovely location for a summer wedding , and very popular, and this probaly the reason that whilst our visit was on a SUNDAY night, we still had our stay ruined by being allocated a room right over the top of the Disco at a wedding being held below us.
Now forgive me If I am wrong but when you are running a hotel that is not at full capacity, to NOT allocate rooms directly over the dance floor of a wedding with a blaring disco untill 12.30 am to guests who are not even attending said event?
Should we not have been advised this would happen so we at least had the chance to change rooms BEFORE we retired for the evening and could not sleep at all for the bang , bang thud thud.? I kid you not I can tell you every song they played at that wedding from 10pm to 12.30am, I hope they enjoyed it becuase we didnt.
I rang to compain and was told by the night desk that we really shouldnt have been given that room. Were we supposed to have known this? one doses not expect a wedding reception on a Sunday evening to be frank, so I dont even think we would have even thought to ask the question, but why should we have to? .
The gentleman I spoke to at 10.30 pm offered to move us , but we were already in bed, I asked if perhaps the volume could be reduced , he said he would try. as most of the guests had already left????
He didnt get the volume reduced , so we had it for another 2 HOURS! This when you have to get up early for a business meeting. Not good enough Moat House.
The room I thought was below the stadard expected form this hotel. The basin in the bathroom had a dark deep crack right through it , no doubt due to the scaldingly hot water hitting it. Please be careful as no warning signs and it could seriously scald you.
We had the most uncomfortable bed I have had the misfortune to try and sleep in, in years. It was broken I am sure as everytime either of us moved it made a terrible loud cracking noise. The wall lights we could not use, as one them flashed on and off constantly, so the room was horribly dim.
Also if you are planning on using the restaurant on a Sunday night, please be aware that they only offer the very limited set menu (three choices for each course), no al a carte, and the choices were extremely limited, and meagre portions, of course the receptionist failed to warn us of this when we booked it.
The food is usually very good, in fact it is a major factor in the decision to stay in the hotel, with generally excemplary servce , but on this occasion it was not.
The glass of Chabis I ordered to go with my scallop starter arrived after I had finished. The belly pork that I had, managed to be both flabby and dry , quite an achievement, in a tiny portion. We had our mains taken away then didnt see a soul for over half an hour, so gave up waiting to be asked if we wanted desert which our waiter THOMAS did know we wanted as I had already discussed options with him earlier.
Perhaps there was a football match on that the staff wanted to watch or something as the place was like the Marie Celeste by 8.30pm, the restarant had perhaps 10 dinners at the most.. Not the level of service I expected based on our two previous visits.
So to sum up, if you value your sleep, please make sure they dont give you a room over the disco, and dont visit the restaurant on a Sunday it was dire.
I filled in the comments card and I gave to the receptionist before we went in for breakfast to give her time to deal with it. Outcome? £50 of the room rate. Sorry if I was unimpressed.
I had a terrrible nights sleep in an inferior standard room that should have remained empty that evening as alternatives were available, along with a terrible dinner experience which led to us having a very dissapointing stay and left feeling like we woudnt want to return.
But hey, they saved my husbands company £50! Hopeless, we decide where we stay on business, a nice gesture would have been the chance for them to get it right next time free gratis.in order to regain our confidence. And to think,I have recomended this hotel in the past. Change of management maybe, we wont be in a hurry to stay again, I think it has gone down hill.

Room Tip: Ask if you will have Lady Ga GA baring out below your bed. Try not to flay the skin off your hands w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cheshirecaz59
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

We arrived just after 2pm and were greeted with a nice welcome and very efficient check in. Our room (113) was wonderful a huge bedroom and lounge overlooking the canal. Very well equipped with top notch furnishings. Independently controlled air conditioning too. We had a lovely afternoon exploring the hotel and spending some time in their library and sat outside overlooking the canal waving to barges as they sailed by. The car park seemed very busy but the hotel was wonderfully quiet and relaxing.

We dined at the 2 rosette restaurant and had a wonderful meal served by very professional attentive staff. The food was superb. You will have to go along way to find such quality. Try the sea bass.

We slept well and the following morning had a hearty breakfast. You help youself to the vast array of cereals, youghurts, very good quality fruit juices and the cooked breakfast is waiter served to your requirements. Good quality fare was had.

Must not forget the bar . Organic lager on draft and good choice of " pub food".

My wife and I found no fault whatsoever with The Moat House. A wonderful place. Better than the maximum five rating .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChrisLMilwich, Owner at The Moat House, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Delighted to read you were so pleased with your stay at The Moat House, I have passed on your comments to all the team. I hope we have the pleasure of being able to live up to these glowing reviews on future visits, I know the Freedom Lager will always be excellent!

Chris Lewis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We visited the Moat House for a special treat as a family in August. We had no prior knowledge of the hotel so when we arrived were completely thrilled. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and we were made to feel special from the moment we arrived. We opted for the set price lunch and the food was just perfect. I opted for a goats cheese starter followed by salmon, the quality and presentation of which was first class. The waiting staff were courteous and really helpful. Thank you for giving our family such a special day.

• Stayed August 2011
7.9 km away
Oak Farm Hotel
Oak Farm Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatherton

Been to The Moat House? Share your experiences!