“Lovely hotel with excellent staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Moat House

The Moat House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Acton Trussell
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with excellent staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

My husband & I had a one night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Check in was quick & easy, the receptionist was very friendly & helpful. Our room was the let down. There were several cobwebs on the coving, there was a big chunk of plaster that had been knocked out the wall & all the lights in the bathroom were full of dead insects! There were several scuff marks on the walls & skirting boards, room could do with a freshen up & thorough clean. We reported this to reception who were very apologetic & arranged for our room to be looked at while we went for dinner. Upon return the cobwebs were still there & maintenance were going to sort the bathroom lights out once we checked out. Having said that the bed very comfortable & nice clean modern bathroom (apart from the lights!)
We dined in the restaurant having the Early Doors Menu, the food was amazing & the presentation outstanding. Our coffee was served with a plate that had chocolate piping 'Happy Anniversary' & truffles, a really lovely touch. The staff were very attentive & professional. All in all a wonderful stay, despite the housekeeping issues. Would recommend hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dibble007
Chris L, Owner at The Moat House, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thanks for your review and congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

I have passed on your feedback to our reception team, so a big thumbs up for them! However apologies about the room, we do have a very active maintenance programme, continually upgrading rooms, redecorating and painting etc. however as you so rightly point out it is these little things that are not acceptable. I have discussed this matter at length with our housekeeping team, so as to prevent further re occurrence.

Thank you for the feedback about the early doors menu in the restaurant, great to see that my team in the restaurant picked up from your reservation that it was your anniversary celebration.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Short and sweet.....if your visiting the area I would certainly recommend this hotel.
Why?
Firstly when you negotiate the drive you can't help but be impressed by the look of the building, especially in the evening when fairy lights illuminate the trees!
Secondly, the staff are a credit to the hotel....everybody is cheerful and helpful.
Thirdly the rooms are clean, well equipped.
Fourthly the food is varied and of excellent standard.
I would definitely stay again.
And make sure you adopt the teddy bear on the bed!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bails999
Chris L, Owner at The Moat House, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for your review of The Moat House. As always I will ensure that all the team here are aware of your positive feedback and I'll make sure they are know how much their efforts have been appreciated.

Great to hear you like our fairy lights in the horse chestnut tree, it certainly adds a sparkle on a winters night.

It will be great to welcome you back in the near future

Chris Lewis
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I've not stayed at the Moat House for around 3 years so was quite looking forward to returning. The room was excellent, food good and lots of choice of beers at the bar. The highlight of the stay had to be the breakfast - good variety and well cooked and the newly refurbished restaurant looks great. I'll be back soon hopefully as the hotel is as good as I remember!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I'm from Texas and stayed here while on business in Wolverhampton in February. I'm glad I did. Not that bad a drive in the morning or evening. Much better than a chain hotel in my opinion. It has nice character. I stayed 5 nights and ate at the hotel restaraunt 4 of the 5 nights and loved every meal. Relaxed with a glass of wine and enjoyed the fireplace. Staff was friendly and service was nice. Grounds were welcoming and nicely maintained. I will go back there on my next trip to Wolverhampton.

• Stayed February 2011
West Mids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Last evening we took advantage of the 'early doors' menu in the restaurant at The Moat House. I was a little worried about what to expect as I had booked the table to celebrate my husbands birthday and so wanted all to go well. We had a wonderful evening. The Restaurant was set beautifully, even the heady scent of the lillies didn't spoil the atmosphere. The staff were excellent, very efficient and really pleasant. The food was fabulous, we both really enjoyed every course, even the pudding which can be a let down sometimes. We both left feeling really full up!
I would recommend trying the early doors menu, the food is fabulous, if a little expensive when picked from the normal a la carte menu.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We attended our best friends weeding at the moat house october driving in I was took in by the grounds & thought how lovely the venue was.I was unable to book in to my room till 2clock so as the wedding was a early one made my way to the lovely church across the road.I first saw our room at 6 clock upon walking in the room I was a little shocked at the standard of the room for the money it cost,it was clean but the bed was small there was no fridge,there was no hair dryer which most hotels provide,no air con etc a little to basic for the money it cost! The function room for the wedding was first class & the food was lovely just a shame more effort hasn't gone in to the rooms to match the standard of the grounds & wedding function it self. The drinks are expensive! Over all enjoyed the stay but felt let down by our room & cost!

Room Tip: A room over looking gardens/ court yard
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank juliesubaru
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

I travel around the country a lot, giving lectures aboutmy books, and I booked into this hotel from the Internet, not expecting anything great. What a lovely surprise. From the minute my PA and arrived you could feel and see that this is an exceptional hotel. It smells fresh and clean, the staff - all local - were friendly, committed and obviously take great pride in the hotel. My room (133) was comfortable, immaculately clean, well designed and well equipped. The pillows smelled fresh and new. Good ventilation. The window looked out over a canal and pretty towpath. The restaurant is pleasant and airy with good views; staff attentive and knowlegeable. At dinner I had a duck egg and black pudding concoction which was worthy of a top Parisienne restaurant. The bill for two courses with a glass of wine was under £45. This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in in this country. Can't recommend it highly enough. Extremely good value for money. Mary S Lovell.

Room Tip: If you require a really quite room ask for one overlooking the pond and on the other side you can he...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
7.9 km away
Oak Farm Hotel
Oak Farm Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hatherton

Been to The Moat House? Share your experiences!