“a view, a terrace,nice ammenities,breakfast, wine happy hour and a reasonable rate”

Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 April 2012

view, a terrace,nice amenities,breakfast, wine happy hour and a reasonable rate lovely walk along the water

respectful staff

downside no restaurant and you need a car to get to restaurants and shopping

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pvds34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I recently spent two weeks at the Acqua. The common areas (lobby, breakfast area) are beautiful and well-maintained. The breakfast is wonderful, with fresh scrambled egg, waffles, fruit, etc. But both rooms I was in seemed like they were afterthoughts. They may have been nicely appointed at one time, but it appears that as furniture wears out, it isn't replaced. My first room was essentially a bunker on the ground floor. Electrical outlets were sparse and half of them didn't work. The iron didn't work, and neither did the replacement I was given. They don't give you little shampoos, instead they use dispensers. There was not any conditioner in the dispenser all 4 days. The second room was on the third floor, more expensive, with a sitting area. But all that was in the sitting area was a couch, the armoire for my clothes, and two lamps which were very, very dim. There wasn't a coffee table, chair or enough light to read by. The bed area was light and bright though. They provide wine glasses, but the 2nd room lacked a corkscrew and I had to go to the front desk to get one. It just seems like they aren't paying any attention to the details, or have fallen on hard times. And, the hotel is as close to highway 101 as it can get without the cars driving through the lobby, so the road noise is constant. But other than all that, the staff is friendly, the food very good, and the view inspiring. Just don't count on a really nice room. (Oh, and free wi-fi but unsecured, which was a concern.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paula S
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel about a year ago and were so pleasantly surprised to discover it. It is in such a fantastic gateway location, close to everything. Muir Woods is a 15-20 minute drive away, the city is just over the bridge. The rooms were spacious and modern, the view was peaceful and breathtaking, the breakfast was delicious and convenient. We stayed with two kids and it was great. It would be nice if they had an on-site full-service restaurant, but there are lots of food choices nearby. The manager was super friendly, accomodated our early arrival and check-in. I would plan to stay here any time I was in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the water!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank WriterGirl167
Universal City,Ca
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We had business in the East Bay,and after we were finished,decided to go to Marin.
We stayed 1 night here,although it was one of the most powerful storms that first night.
When we arrived,a huge company had had a convention here and had taken over the hotel.
But,they were leaving:)
Besides the comfortable beds,and nice breakfast,the views are fantastic,as we awoke to no rain!
The bathrooms are lovely,and I love the tub!
Very romantic!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Powderu
California
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at the Acqua hotel for two nights due to its close proximity to Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, and other Bay area attractions. Upon arriving, the noticed the beautiful lobby with wall water features.....the friendly manager let me check in early and was very friendly and accomodating. He insisted on personally showing me my room, and when I expressed disappointment that I didn't have a water view he graciously upgraded me to a third floor mini-suite which I loved.

My room over-looked the Richardson Bay. It had a nice balcony, with a couple of chairs, and the room was spotless. The bathroom was huge, and there were
bathtub soaking salts, and quality shampoos and conditions. There was also a little sitting room besides the king bed which could accomodate another person - thus saving the price of
purchasing another room.

What I especially liked were the little special perks - the designer shampoos, bath salts, and soaps to the wine/cheese cracker social, to the warmed cookies that were served later in the evening. There always was fresh coffee and teas available............I especially enjoyed waking
up to the EXCELLENT buffet breakfast. I couldn't believe the plate of fresh fruits (pineapple,
melons, bananas, strawberries, and grapes), the waffles, yogurts, baked goodies to the fresh oatmeal with various toppings (The walnuts and yellow raisins were delicious)...There were plenty of scrambled eggs with bacon. The coffee was excellent,
and I enjoyed a delicious leisurely breakfast while reading the two newspapers that were supplied. To top this off, the hotel even offered free bicycles to ride around the bay.

This hotel is really worth 5 stars, but unfortunately its right off of 101 (with the next exit 101 N being the exit for Muir Woods, and Stinson Beach)..........making it extremely convenient, but I did notice the freeway noise. Perhaps it might not bother some people, but I was on the 3rd floor, in room 310. It was less noisy when I closed the curtains, and in the middle of the night when there was less traffic. You couldn't hear the noise in the sitting room or the bathroom.

You cannot go wrong staying in this small, friendly hotel.........you'll enjoy the many perks.......from the wine/cheeses, warmed cookies, free beverages, to the outstanding buffet breakfast which is included in the price. You might even have time to enjoy their free bicycles, or to take a
walk around the bay?

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you think the noise from the freeway will bother you.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
sebastopol, ca
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We were going to an event in Mill Valley and decided to stay over. The price was right (a hundred) and it included breakfast. We had seen the hotel off the freeway over the years-- and assumed that it would get a lot of freeway noise. Our room (ground level) has no noise at all-- when we looked out our sliding door it looked as if we were far from it all on a quiet bay. The walk around the water is lovely-- good for birdwatching-- but lots of freeway noise.

It ends up that the phone in our room did not work... which nobody knew until we did not get our wake-up call. That meant that we missed the breakfast-- but they were good about making sure we got something. (Though nothing near what it would have been.) This was both kind and really annoying. They have a nice little wine & cheese hour in the evenings. The bed was super comfy-- and the bathroom was very large, with a huge tub. Really nice.

All in all, we would definitely stay at this hotel again-- but next time we will make sure that our phone works for incoming calls. It was a bummer missing the full breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I had stayed at Acqua several times over the past few years and so pleased with the improvements made since my last stay back in May. Charlie, the GM, was friendly and courteous (unlike the arrogant a-hole, pretty-boy, who was there last time I stayed). When you go, be sure to take a morning stroll on the walkway along the bay adjacent to the hotel. Ohmmmm...very zen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4.9 km away
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Acqua Hotel Mill Valley? Share your experiences!