All reviews castle restaurant courtyard room the main house lee room poultry our tour guide bocce ball bridal suite first floor queen size bed top floor slave quarters carriage house jetted tub boutique hotel beautiful grounds breakfast buffet
Reviewed October 3, 2018

We had passed by this B&B every trip to Natchez which is about every six weeks. I always thought it would cost more than I was willing to pay. While looking at rooms on line, I found it to be very reasonable. The room is very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
The staff very accommodating, and the breakfast was unreal best yet. The tour so very, very interesting and well presented.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank byronw2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

The property and home are a must see. If I was reviewing this as an historical home tour attraction I would have given it a 5 star rating however as a bed and breakfast it only gets a three for being understaffed. This lead to a clean bed but not so clean room and amenities that didn’t work (coffee maker). Then another 30 mins to get coffee and food for breakfast (and it was a buffet) made for my 3 star rank. Hopefully they hire some more help and will do better for you.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank IDITARODFISHER
Reviewed September 17, 2018

In the past, I’ve toured Dunleith twice and stayed the night in one of the rooms in the wing once. On our most recent trip to Natchez, we opted to stay at another bed and breakfast. That particular bed and breakfast gave us a voucher for a free breakfast at the Castle and tour of Dunleith.

The voucher clearly stated that breakfast was between 7-10 am and we arrived a couple of minutes after 10. We would not have even gone in the Castle except for the fact that we had time to kill before the next tour started. The hostess at the Castle informed us that they were no longer serving breakfast, but offered to ask someone if we could fix to-go boxes and take with us. We honestly weren’t concerned about the breakfast as we already had planned lunch about two hours later, and it was our own fault that we missed it. She was very kind and we sincerely appreciated her effort to go above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of, but we did not want to trouble them and politely declined. I only mention this because of what happened next.

We wanted to take the tour because my son had never been inside Dunleith. We waited on the porch for about 25 minutes for the next tour to begin. Right before the tour guide came out, a woman mentioned tickets. It occurred to me that I possibly should have gone into the office and given them the voucher in exchange for tickets. As I turned to walk to the office, the tour guide came out. I handed him the voucher and asked if we needed to get tickets from the office or if we were to just use the voucher. He looked at the voucher and asked me if we were staying there or if we had breakfast at the Castle, and I informed him that we had the voucher for the breakfast, but had barely missed it. He handed me back the voucher and said something along the lines of “well, there are three ways you can do the tour: one way is if you’re staying here; if you eat at the Castle; or you can buy tickets.” There was absolutely no suggestion of asking a supervisor, or of me speaking with someone about it, or any other form of professionalism or hospitality. He simply handed it back to me as if I had been trying to pull some sort of scam. All of the other people taking the tour were standing there waiting for the tour as well and it was slightly embarrassing. We walked away and stopped into the office as we were leaving and spoke with the desk clerk. She looked at the voucher and verified that those vouchers are honored, and informed me that all we needed to do was hand that voucher to the tour guide. I let her know that he refused to accept it. She called the tour guide to inform him that the voucher should be accepted and told us we were welcome to take the next tour. Again, she was very courteous and I appreciate her efforts and taking the time to try to straighten it out. However, we had no desire to sit in the Mississippi heat for another 25 minutes waiting on the next tour to start, especially if we had to listen to the same rude man who essentially humiliated us because he didn’t know what he was doing. Honestly, the tickets aren’t very expensive anyway. Buying them wouldn’t have been a big deal. It was the tour guide’s rude demeanor and his lack of training, lack of knowledge about the obvious partnership and his complete lack of professionalism that infuriated me.

Also worth noting, while we were there, we encountered two individuals who worked with the cleaning and/or grounds staff. Both were friendly and spoke to us. Maybe Dunleith’s management should consider rearranging a few employee positions.
It appears that most of the staff is gracious and well trained.

There’s an old saying that one bad apple can spoil a whole bunch, and that one bad apple completely soured me on Dunleith for good.

Honestly, the outside is the most impressive part of the mansion. The furniture in the home is gorgeous, but it is not original to the home. The bathroom in the room where I once stayed was small and dated, and the room wasn’t well lit. There are plenty of other bed and breakfasts and historic mansions to tour in Natchez, many of which are more impressive than Dunleith. After that experience, there is absolutely no reason I would ever go back.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2018

Our room was clean and comfortable. Parking was a little tight for the number of guests. All rooms required a climb while carrying your luggage. Be prepared for more noise from people movement on old wooden floors that what is the hotel norm. Breakfast provided through the Castle restaurant was very convenient. A little disappointed that what I thought was a hot tub was actually a cool pool bubbly tub. Easy drive to other area attractions.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay at Dunleith! Our accommodations
were wonderful and our tour docent was superior.
I wish I could remember names but the woman at the front desk on Saturday was so kind and helpful.
She guided us to the historic district and pointed out the things we should not miss.

We were grateful to have access to a pool after our tours on a hot, humid day. It was quiet and relaxing.
We also enjoyed a full moon from the veranda in the evening!

Also, breakfast was absolutely delicious. What a treat. It was a perfect weekend getaway!

Date of stay: August 2018