“Calabogie Peaks - a great place.”

Calabogie Peaks Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Calabogie
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We loved our accomodation - lots of pillows and towels. Enjoyed the pond out front, the paddle boats, kayaks, the hot tub, the pool, our campfire, the occasional sighting of the frogs, turtle and muskrat. A nice relaxing place. Friendly staff. Been there in the winter too and the family loved the skiing. A great restaurant

Room Tip: Higher rooms had a lovely breeze --------------
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank melken60
Liane R, General Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Melken60

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Through a promotion with TravelZoo, we booked at Calabogie Peaks for May
19th and 20th, the long weekend! Could not believe the long weekend was not a "black out" period. My spouse and I had never been at this resort or in the area and the promotion encouraged us to try it. The front desk staff were prompt, friendly and informative on the phone and check in was very smooth. We were hauling a Harley motorbike on a trailer and we
had lots of room to park the truck and trailer. The service in Canthooks was friendly, professional and courteous for every meal we had in the restaurant and the food was delicious. We enjoyed the best tenderloin on Sunday night. We accidently locked ourselves out of our room late Saturday night and the pleasant girl vacumming assisted us without complaint. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub everyday. There were kayaks, peddleboats, bicycles, golf clubs, board games to use so kids were easily amused and a parent didn't have to bring anything. A staff member lights a bonfire every night and benches to sit at and gaze at the stars, loved this idea, felt like we were camping! In summary, we had a lovely time, toured the backroads of the area on the bike returning to a clean, quaint hotel and the staff who were absolutely amazing. We tipped well since we had such a great deal and a huge bouquet to the staff who made our miniholiday so pleasant. Thank you for a great weekend and the promotion that led us to discover my new favorite place! We will be returning to Calabogie Peaks for the Calabogie Blues Festival in August with the band "Rocket Rached & Fat City 8" and so looking forward to it! What a beautiful setting for a music festival!

Room Tip: Great view from all rooms. We chose the lakeview so we could keep an eye on the bike and trailer in...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lorrie m
Liane R, General Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Lorrie

It's great to hear that you had such a great stay. We are definitely getting excited about Bluesfest so you then!

Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

Everything was perfect and beyond our expectations, from staff to services provided. Would highly recommend this place for a night or week away!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Bstaneland
Liane R, Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Bstaneland

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Just finished a wonderful week at Calabogie Peaks. I was wondering what the resort would be like after reading some of the reviews saying it was outdated. We found the resort to be wonderful! Its true that the units are not the newest, but everything worked like it should and the unit we stayed in was huge!!! We stayed in the Oaks which was very private and lots of windows overlooking the forest. It also had a wood burning fireplace which we loved. Tip: the Oaks runs from Sat-Sat other units are Fri-Fri. I can't say what the other units are like. One warning: there is only one smaller TV for the whole unit, no TVs in the bedrooms, which was ok with us.

The inside pool was smaller than some, but warm and with nice change rooms. The outside hot tub was nice.

I would recommend this resort for those who like quiet, fishing, canoeing and hiking.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Anniky99

Dear Annicky99

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of the wide range of activities that we have for our guests and its lovely to hear that they are appreciated.

I hope to see you back at the resort soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Went with my girlfriend and about 5 others for a long weekend in February... we loved parking our car at the beginning of the weekend and barely touching it until we left... The pedestrian friendly mini ski-village feeling to the grounds makes everything feel accessible and user friendly. Outdoor activities were plentiful as we skied most of the time, went snowshoeing / x-country skiing, and tubed the bunny slope after a few pints on the apre-ski scene which was great (live music, friendly good looking bartenders, and big space with views of the mtn out of 20-ft tall windows. Definitely a low-key nightlife scene, we went with enough of a group that we made our own fun, and were pretty exhasuted afte rthe long day

"First tracks", the lift-side condo at the base of the mtn where a few friends stayed, was unreal... huge living space literally meters from the chairlift... apparentely more of these types of accomodations are coming on line soon, and I'd definitely look into that cause we are "get-up-and-go" type of folks when it comes to skiing

Hotel rooms felt brand new, views stellar (some of us looked up the ski trails, others out over the lake), comfortable furniture, good TVs and options. Canthooks restaurant was good, but we wanted some easier food options - the staff offered a few suggestions and also showed us the outdoor grills near the condos where we flipped a few burgers and had beers next to the skating rink.

I'd definitely go back because the staff is very nice and helpful

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Michael M

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of the new accommodation at the base of the mountain and its wonderful to hear that guests are enjoying it.

I hope to see you again next winter!

Reviewed 15 January 2012

I read great reviews on another site about this resort. We were very excited about going but found it nothing to be like what we imagined! We got in late and went to our room which was smaller than a regular hotel room with a double bed. At 5:30am we were awoken by the children in the room next to us. We could hear them cutting food on their plates let alone everything they said, good thing they spoke a different language. When we told the front that we'd like to move rooms because of this they informed us we couldn't switch room and gave me a towel to put under the door that connected our rooms (door wasn't the issue the thin walls were) and told us to keep the TV on. The only padded chair was missing a leg-- I found it behind the curtain right before we left which made me think our room really hadn't been cleaned (and when the snow melted and our balcony was full of garbage we knew it hadn't).

We had made arrangements for ski lessons -- 1 instructor for 10 people so we didn't get much instructions we fell down quite a bit I banged up my hip and my husband has a bruised rib. When we checked out they wouldn't give us our money back. We decided we didn't care it was more important to just get out of there.

Canthooks was very expensive when we had a little bit of what was left on the breakfast buffet it still cost us $32 dollars. DInners there were OK but expensive. Desserts were the best. I think maybe the chef is a pastry chef.

When you ask for directions anywhere they tell you it's 20-30 minutes. Which turns into a hour and half. It's very far out of the way of anything. Things "in town" Calabogie are open and closed whenever their owners want them to be- not very dependable so you have to drive to renfrew which is a pretty drive but I didn't expect to drive that far.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mcculldl
Liz M, General Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear McCulldl

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us.

I am hoping you would be able to email myself at lreeves@calabogie.com so as to discuss your points further as I am concerned by a few points that you have raised,

I would like to address the maintenance issues you raised. We do not have any rooms with a double bed and all of our rooms are larger than the industry standard so if you could help me with a room number I will look into fixing the issue of the noise coming from the room beside you.

I had a look at our ski lesson sheets for December as our policy is not to have as many as ten people in a lesson. I didn't see any lessons with ten people in them so if you could remember even the instructors name I would like to raise your concern with them.

I passed along your feedback to our Executive Chef about the breakfast prices and your positive feedback about the pastries she thanks you for both.

Again I would hope that you could email me directly so that I can address your concerns.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband and I are spending a weekend away at the Calabogie Peaks. The room is spacious enough, but there is only one chair in the room. Normally I would expect to see two chairs and a table, or a small sofa and a table to relax when not lying in bed. There is no fridge or microwave, which I would normally expect for a hotel at this price point.

The room is spacious, and the bed comfortable. We paid for a room with a balcony and the balcony is huge, but again, no tables/chairs etc on the balcony. Hard to enjoy the balcony with no where to sit.

The bathroom is small but clean and functional. Problems: No counter space and no water pressure.

We've had problems with the temperature, the room was way too hot the first night here, so much so that it was hard to sleep. Turned off the heat, and after 24 hours still quite warm in here!

We do love the outdoor hot tub, probably the best part of the place although crowded this evening.

NOT a fan of the restaurant, Canthooks. Went for a buffet breakfast this morning and had lukewarm scrambled eggs, fried potatoes. Sausage tasted funny and the bacon was chewy. And it cost about $32 for the two of us!!!!! Would not recommend having breakfast here.

Had dinner at Canthooks - again very pricy and the results are mixed. My pasta was not cooked properly and the shrimp was overcooked, the sauce too strong for a seafood dish. Husband had the beef tenderloin which was very good. However at these prices would eat elsewhere such as the Blackbird Cafe about 20 kms up the road. There is a restaurant not far up the road that looks like it serves a good breakfast.

Although the staff here is super friendly and helpful, did not feel that we got value for our money. First time here, and probably last.

Room Tip: We wanted a room with kitchen and balcony, but it was one or the other. There are lots of chalets, a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank weistk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabogie
38.4 km away
Country Squire Motel
#1 of 3 in Arnprior
3.5 km away
Jocko's Beach Resort and Motel

Been to Calabogie Peaks Hotel? Share your experiences!