“Terrific Ambiance.”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Benmiller Inn and Spa is a gem. With a historic past it has transformed into a wonderful retreat with a superb restaurant. The food and service is fantastic. I would recommend this Inn to anyone looking for a great week-end away. Additionally, the music in the lounge was excellent.

Room Tip: Choose the third floor for less stairway noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I think the hype on this Inn and Spa exceeds the reality by a fair bit though the restaurant deserves 4-5 stars.
Admittedly a visit in winter probably doesn't play to the natural strengths of this site and the beauty of the river and surrounding forests. The facility is a group of historic buildings with all the charm you would expect but little of the upgraded infrastructure needed to make them really shine. Case in point...........our bathroom lighting was wired from the ground fault receptacle next to the sink which needed to be routinely reset to allow for lighting, not sure if this is legal, but at the least not a good engineering practice. Water in the shower was sketchy at best, clearly not pressure balanced which made moderating water temperature for my morning shower a challenge at the best. The room was nice and large,with a great bed and bedding though the rest of the fixtures were dated and worn. My overall impression was that they used a local "handyman" to maintain the sites vs professional tradespersons.
Dinner in the restaurant was great though our server was a bit "off". The breakfast buffet the next morning was stellar with a great variety of tasty treats making it a super way to start the day. I will return (perhaps not to stay over) to see the site during the summer/fall as I suspect the setting will be awesome and I liked the location of the restaurant patio overlooking the river.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We arrived less than an hour before the Gooderich tornado devasted portions of the Benmiller Inn including our room. Granted the place was in chaos and uninhabitable after the tornado. And, granted, the management was deeply focussed upon responding to the devastation and to free us from a forest of downed trees, damaged vehicles and terrifying minutes as windows shattered and pieces of roofs from several area buildings tore across the landscape. The staff di manage sandwiches and a glass of wine and a modest effort was made to find alternate accommodation. But, our complaint about Benmiller is essentially that since that terrifying experience--and there were several other affected guests--not one solitary person from the Benmiller Inn has contacted us to see how we managed and to suggest that, perhaps, given our dreadful experience there that we might be induced back again. To try and re-live our lost anniversary weekend would be imposible but to have somebody from Benmiller actually take the time and incur the effort to find out if were interested in ever visiting the place again-- the lack of caring or even concern is unforgivable. I could not recommend a place with such a mediocre attitude to guests who were traumatised,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NamutKwu
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at the Benmiller in for 1 night in November 2011 for a work event. The first thing that struck me was that it was a strange set up. The original hotel is situated on a small stream and is nice to look at, but it is also in a depression under the intersection of 2 public roads. The facility is also one that has many buildings and my actual room was in another building down the road. I had to walk along a highway at night (not very far) in the dark from my room to the main lodge for dinner. Dinner in the dining room was very good, there was a couple of choices for appetiser, main and desert and the food was top notch. Breakfast and lunch was also at a high standard. However the room I stayed in was dated and badly in need of renovations, think 60's motel 6! To be fair, they were working on renovating the entire complex, but the work is slow as they are having trouble getting trades people due to the work going on nearby in Goderich after the tornado. There is also a lot of trees down around the Inn and they have been obviously working on getting those taken care of as well. I hope the renovations dont take too long and they get back to what was once known as a top place to stay. P.S. The wifi worked fine in the main lodge, but at my room I could get comnnected to the system, but was unable to open any internet pages on my ipad. Due to the location I also could not get a useable 3G connection on the ipad on rogers. My Bell Phone only worked if I stood outside.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Stv50
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I found the inn simply by following the signs coming into Goderich even though it was pitch black at 5:30! (Welcome standard time) Given the spiral staircase the friendly front desk woman helped me with my bags. The room is comfy and cozy and it is so quiet outside as only the country can be.

Dinner in the dining room was exceptional for such a seemingly small place and even though I was the only one in the dining room for most of the time I felt warm and comfortable by the window and service was also exceptional.

Thanks Benmiller Inn!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank KatieToronto
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I needed a quick getaway and Benmiller Inn was the perfect spot. The Inn itself has a wonderful history. Unfortunately, the Inn received some damage in the tornado, but the rooms that were open were cozy and rustic. The Inn is showing it's age and could use a little TLC, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it. The food is fantastic. I will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank lh1963
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Went for a weekend retreat with work colleagues.Experienced spa treatments the first day spa opened post tornado (August 2011). Definitely would recommend Ward and the Reflexology treatment! Fabulous atmosphere in the spa area. Very relaxing! Others in our party raved about their facials, massage and how warm the pool water was and how enjoyable their swim.

Had lunch in restaurant - nice atmosphere. Had rest of meals in small dining area off dining room. Service was good with staff very attentive!. Food was good and plentiful. Bar entertainment was enjoyable backdrop to our conversations. Breakfast on our last day was leisurely with opportunity for personally made omelettes or crepes. Food selection really made it better as a brunch than breakfast.

Liked our room although it was a little tired requiring new tiling on bathroom floor and paint on the roof, walls and doors. Inn is listed as a CAA 4 Diamond rating for 2011 and 2010. I think needs some cosmetic work to actually deserve this rating. I did find that our king sized bed and pillows were remarkably comfortable (and I am picky about both!!).

Repairs are obviously still ongoing as Tornado damage is obviously still being worked on with some broken windows and plastic noticeable on roof of dining area. Top 2 floors of building where spa is located were heavily damaged and are to be repaired. Toppled trees are clearly visible as you drive into the Inn property. Some walking areas on the property are also closed currently. Gives some indication of the work that clearly already occurred to reopen the Inn and that must be planned to further repair the property!

On our way home, we took a drive into Goderich to see how the clean up activities were going there. Work is clearly still in progress after such a devastating act of nature. People we spoke to were all positive about about how well the community had pulled together to support one another in the aftermath.

Given time, I am sure that the Inn will work to complete the necessary repairs and get back on their feet too. I would give it time and plan a trip next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank scotgrl3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
6.8 km away
7.1 km away
Maple Leaf Motel
Maple Leaf Motel
#4 of 9 in Goderich

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!