All reviewsmain buildingdining roomgledhill housethe riverhot tubcrepesselect roomdifferent buildingswedding guestsfine diningoverlooking the ponddeluxe suitean older propertybeautiful spotromantic weekendbit datedcaesar salad
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Spent a weekend at the Ben Miller Inn in January for a friends' wedding and I don't think the Inn lived up to the expectations many people had set me up for. The inn is tired looking and in desperate need of updating. Our room was located in the Woolen Mill on the third floor. While spacious, the carpet was old and stained, there were many phantom drafts throughout the room, and the bathroom was actually kind of gross. We ended up being really busy so we didn't spend any extended time in the room, but if I had wanted to I would have been very disappointed. The bathroom had faded wallpaper and dirty orange tile; the bathtub didn't drain and the water kept switching between hot and cold without notice. The bed was really comfortable and the sheets were soft, however. The doors between the floors were also really inconvenient and tired looking.

Although some major renovations are required in the future, there were some issues that could be dealt with quickly by simply re-painting, or washing the walls, or painting the different colored patches behind the toilet. Stuff like this tends to bother me since it is regular maintenance that seems to be overlooked.

The food was okay, I found the brunch on Sunday missed the mark a bit and was very happy to have had the price included in my stay.

To their credit, service was lovely and everyone was very accomodating when we asked for directions to the hiking trails or directions to town. The grounds were lovely and it was nice to get out for a walk in the nearby conservation area. Overall I don't think we would return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank CBDLT
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are planning on doing some renovations in that building as it is the last one to be updated. New carpet is on the way etc. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your brunch as it is one of our most popular meals. Again, thank you for your feedback and perhaps something will bring you to our area in the future. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I have been to the Benmiller Inn several times over the past 30 years--but our last visit was probably at least 15 years ago. We decided to give it a try again over the Christmas break with our two sons (both young adults) and my son's girlfriend. We stayed in the main building on the second floor. The rooms were clean and cozy, if maybe just a little tired--the bathrooms could definitely use a bit of sprucing up. We really liked the Keurig coffee maker in the bathroom and the apples on our bedside tables--nice touches. All the staff--front desk, lounge, restaurant--were friendly, courteous and responsive. We loved sitting in the lounge by the fireplace before dinner. The atmosphere was enhanced by music that created a feel that was a nice combination of cozy and elegant. The restaurant was outstanding. On Tuesday we enjoyed a prime rib buffet. The desserts were to die for. On Wednesday we ate a la carte. We all enjoyed our selections. Breakfast was served buffet style and featured both continental and hot selections (i.e., French toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc.). We felt a bit of a cold draught when seated at a table in the dining room near the door to an outdoor patio--staff were helpful in finding us another table.

My wife and I enjoyed a couple of pleasant walks through the woods (where there is still evidence of tornado damage) and along the banks of the Saugeen River. The boys and I also enjoyed using the lovely indoor pool, spa and sauna--unfortunately the sauna wasn't nearly hot enough for my liking. There was a very modest exercise area that included a stationary bike and a treadmill. Some kind of strength equipment (e.g., Bowflex) would be a nice addition.

Overall, we had a very pleasant, relaxing experience and will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen S

Thank you for your feedback. We are hoping to do some renovations in these rooms this spring but yet keep the rustic look that they are known for. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We enjoyed a relaxing overnight escape from Toronto at the Benmiller. Go there to "be", not to "do". Rooms (in the main building) offer Old World charm and comfort, the pre-dinner guitar musician created atmosphere, the restaurant serves a good meal (both dinner and breakfast), a two-hour hike in the adjacent Falls Conversation Area provided a fall-colours break from reading and spa. Staff are all very friendly (save for one person on duty at the front desk whom we observed being sharp with guests asking for help, but that was the exception).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dexit

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time here at Benmiller Inn and Spa. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I had never been to the Benmiller Inn before, but I had heard much about it from others, and wanted to see what all the hype was about.
The Inn is spread out amongst several properties, in an idyllic setting by a creek. Unfortunately, the Goderich area was hit by a strong tornado about a year before our visit, and many of the trees in the Benmiller Inn area were knocked down. They have still not been cleaned up. As we went when the leaves were off the trees, the knocked over trees were quite noticeable. We were able to check in early, and all the staff we ran in to during our stay was quite pleasant and helpful.
Our room was large and very comfortable, with a king size bed, sofa, several comfy chairs, and a flat panel TV. There was also a writing desk (although the light could be a bit stronger). The bathroom was a bit dated, and the fluorescent light flickered several times before it would stabilize. However, the room was well kept besides that and quite clean.
Dinner was on Wednesday, which is "all you can eat Prime Rib Day" at Benmiller. We made reservations, which really weren't required this time of year. There were only about 15 people in the restaurant at the time. The prime rib was quite good, but not as rare as I like it. When I went to add gravy to the cut of beef, the container was almost empty. I mentioned this to the chef, and he left to replenish it. When he came back with the same container, it still had no more gravy in it than when he left. I thought I must have missed something here, but what was it? While most of the prime rib dinner was uninspiring, the dessert table was a surprise! They had two different pre-prepared desserts (carrot cake and cheesecake). I opted for a crepe dish with flambéed bananas, which was very, very good.
Breakfast in the morning was pleasant, I had pancakes and "Canadian" bacon which filled me up, and were quite good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank London_Ontario_Kevin
Dawn B, Front Office Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Regarding the trees that you see still down on the hillside coming in, we are unable to touch them (Ministry orders) due to the number of fresh water springs in the hillside they fear removal will result in the hillside coming down into our lane and the houses up above will lose their back yards. We are hoping that in time we will be given the ok to remove them once the hill stabilizes. It does look messy but something that we cannot clean up at this time.
We do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at this resort with a group of people (approx. 22) for several nights in November 2007. There was a little snow on the ground. The Inn is sort of hidden in the trees with a beautiful quiet river flowing at the side of the Inn. This river I am told is excellent for fly fishing. The rooms are very large and the beds large and confortable providing a good nites sleep. We ate at the old inn type restaurant on site. It was very colorful and rustic. The food was plentiful and good. Never used the spa on site. The meeting room accomodated all of us comfortably. The wasn't a lot to do this time of the year other than walk the trails and look at wildlife. I would definitely return to the Benmiller Inn in the future but only during the summer. This is a great resort for groups on bsusinees and for a great getaway for couples.

Room Tip: Get a room looking at the river
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CountryPat3

You are right! The Maitland is a great river for fly fishing. Fishing of any type really! Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon.