All reviews main building dining room gledhill house the river hot tub old mill crepes select room different buildings wedding guests fine dining overlooking the pond deluxe suite an older property beautiful spot romantic weekend bit dated
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just spent a weekend in Goderich and had an enjoyable experience at the Ben Miller Inn

Arrived about 1:30 on Saturday afternoon and checked in. Room wasn't ready yet so we handled all the paperwork and ventured off into town to kill a few hours..... the receptionist was very friendly and accommodating and we booked our reservations for brunch.

We were in the Gledhill building which is just down the road from the Main building which has the registration, restaurant, lounge and patio. You can walk to Gledhill but maybe not with your luggage. The Gledhill building overlooks the river and has a small balcony with 2 chairs.

The pool and spa are right across the street from Gledhill as well.

We stayed in a SELECT room and they are a very nice size with a KING sized bed, full sized couch (with sofa bed) and 2 large sitting chairs. There is a small flat screen TV on the dresser that gets most of the basic cable channels. There is also a bar area with mini fridge, sink, wine glasses, opener, iron, robes and extra bedding.... The bathrooms are a little dated and could use upgrading for sure....The taps look like they are from the 80's.....but clean...

We had brunch in the Ivey dining on Sunday morning which was included in our room package. We made a reservation for first thing at 9:00 and the serve staff seemed a bit behind in setting up but everything worked out. The food selection is awesome and they seem to focus more on the hot lunch items. Brunch included, omelette station, sweets and pastries, cheeses, fresh fruits, salads and hot dishes.... LOTS to choose from and the service was very attentive.

We went into town in this rainy weekend and walked around the courtyard square - which is where most of the shopping and restaurants are. Tried to get a cream puff from Culberts but apparently they sell out by NOON most days and not open on Sundays.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Inn and will come back in the fall for another visit

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike S
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our Gledhill House and our Sunday brunch. We do hope to see you in the future again. Lots of upgrades and changes planned for the winter.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Love this place. My husband and I bike through there regularly from Bayfield and stop for lunch on the patio. It is quite refined. The food is great. I have not stayed in the hotel but, was contemplating having my wedding here. It's a lot like the Old Mill in Toronto but, in the country.
This is truly an oasis in the country with the Mill and the river. If you want to see first hand the damage that the Goderich Tornado did, all of the lovely trees on the embankment have been downed. The Benmiller was lucky to have been spared although some of the outbuildings were damaged.
I would recommend taking your bike. There are cycling day trips from Benmiller. to points east, North or South to Bayfield (stop for lunch or a swim in the lake)... There are fantastic rural routes/lines with no cars on them parallel to Hwy 21, best cycling in Ontario...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saragil
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. We do have some wonderful places to bike and hike in the area. Glad that you enjoyed everything and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This past week I had the pleasure of experiencing my first stay at the Benmiller Inn.I have eaten at the restaurant in the past,but this was first time I really got to see what the Inn was all about.
I had dinner my first evening,and being mostly vegetarian it can sometimes be a challenge.I was pleasantly surprised when they had a wonderful entree, and tweaked a appetizer so that I could thoroughly enjoy my meal.
As to my room,everything was wonderful,from the bed,to the Aveda products in the bathroom.
I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank suzanne333_11

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here. We have just launched an entire Vegetarian menu so you will have more options to choose from. Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were clean but very dated. Bed was very comfortable. Some staff were kind of friendly. Food was good not great. We were given one night and paid for another. Here in winter, maybe nicer in summer. Nice place but pricey.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your review. We are constantly changing and growing. Many updates are currently going on around the property and in the rooms. We do hope to see you again so you can see some of these changes for yourself.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We occasionally have stayed at the Benmiller Inn as a convenient getaway since it was first established in the early 1970's. Over the years, it has gone through a number of owners and our stays and the quality of the food and accommodations have had their ups and downs.
Based on a positive experience meeting friends there for a Sunday brunch recently, we decided to give an overnight a try as a late Valentine's celebration. This is the first stay we've attempted in 5 or 6 years. As always, the setting is truly lovely. Th view of the river, ponds and stream are a great attraction.We stayed in one of the River Mill rooms, above the pool and spa. These rooms have been completely renovated following the tornado damage of a couple of years ago. The room was lovely with a large whirlpool tub and a comfortable king bed. The pool and spa are little changed and could use a little updating and certainly could be kept warmer in the middle of winter. As well, no one seems to be restocking the pool towels and these are a little old and frayed. The pool/spa didn't seem to be getting much use while we were there.
Food has varied over the years, and and has sometimes been a little unpredictable. For our recent visit, the dinner selection was good, with an emphasis on local foods, and the portions were large, but I found the dishes varied from truly excellent to needing a surer hand with seasoning. The Sunday brunch is a great bargain with a good selection and truly excellent crepes and roast beef.
The new owners seem to be trying to revive the excellence of the inn, but it still needs more attention to detail. The wi-fi was intermittent (we were told they were working on this), and the pathway from the River Mill and Gledhill house to the main inn was snow-covered and not cleared while we were there, requiring walking on the roadway. Perhaps they need more maintenance staff. In all, though staff, were pleasant and accommodating and with a few little tweaks this will once again be a truly excellent destination.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TourerOntario
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You are absolutley right! The new owner is working very hard with the hopes that we can bring Benmiller back to what it once was. Many renovations are complete, more to come. Wi-fi is being fixed now with new wires being ran and should be back to normal mid March. We hope to see you again soon.