All reviews main building gledhill house dining room the river hot tub old mill conservation area crepes select room different buildings wedding guests relaxing experience fine dining overlooking the pond deluxe suite an older property romantic weekend
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent one night at the Benmiller Inn, looking for an active weekend escape from Toronto.

Here's a short report:

the drive from Toronto was about 2hours and 45 minutes. It was a pleasant drive with many interesting stops on the way. We arrived at the Inn and were stunned by how beautiful the property was. After checking in, we had lunch outside in a beautiful garden setting, great food and good drinks.

The rooms are scattered over a large property, with 5 or 6 different buildings, so make sure you know where you want to be. We stayed in a spa room that was about 500m from the main building. The room was big and nicely appointed, but was very modern, sparse and not very cottagey or rustic. If you prefer a rustic room, another building is probably recommended. That said, it had a lovely view, great bed and huge Jacuzzi tub. Note: the spa rooms dont have full window blinds, and the sun comes in early! If you're planning to sleep in, don't pick a spa room.

We grabbed a hiking map and did 5 kms of really good hiking through the woods, the trail starting right near our hotel room. Trails were immaculate and easy to follow for novice hikers. We had dinner at the Inn, and all the positive reviews about the food are spot on. It was delicious, locally sourced and on par with top dining in Toronto. In fact the food overall was wonderful, and a huge plus for the Benmiller.

Bright and early in the am, we took our bikes down to the beach at Goderich and biked from beach to beach. We returned for our included buffet brunches, which was spectacular.

Some advice: Make sure you understand the differences between the rooms so you find the right room for you. The staff and service are very good, although very quirky and strange at times.

We cant wait to go back for a weekend!

Room tip: I wouldn't stay in a spa room again. It is too sparse and doesnt have any character. Plus, the hallways are steamy from the pool and spa below. Next time, I will likely stay in the main building.
Date of stay: June 2013
2  Thank TorontoJeff76
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the property and our beautiful gardens and were able to get in some great hiking. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just spent a weekend in Goderich and had an enjoyable experience at the Ben Miller Inn

Arrived about 1:30 on Saturday afternoon and checked in. Room wasn't ready yet so we handled all the paperwork and ventured off into town to kill a few hours..... the receptionist was very friendly and accommodating and we booked our reservations for brunch.

We were in the Gledhill building which is just down the road from the Main building which has the registration, restaurant, lounge and patio. You can walk to Gledhill but maybe not with your luggage. The Gledhill building overlooks the river and has a small balcony with 2 chairs.

The pool and spa are right across the street from Gledhill as well.

We stayed in a SELECT room and they are a very nice size with a KING sized bed, full sized couch (with sofa bed) and 2 large sitting chairs. There is a small flat screen TV on the dresser that gets most of the basic cable channels. There is also a bar area with mini fridge, sink, wine glasses, opener, iron, robes and extra bedding.... The bathrooms are a little dated and could use upgrading for sure....The taps look like they are from the 80's.....but clean...

We had brunch in the Ivey dining on Sunday morning which was included in our room package. We made a reservation for first thing at 9:00 and the serve staff seemed a bit behind in setting up but everything worked out. The food selection is awesome and they seem to focus more on the hot lunch items. Brunch included, omelette station, sweets and pastries, cheeses, fresh fruits, salads and hot dishes.... LOTS to choose from and the service was very attentive.

We went into town in this rainy weekend and walked around the courtyard square - which is where most of the shopping and restaurants are. Tried to get a cream puff from Culberts but apparently they sell out by NOON most days and not open on Sundays.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Inn and will come back in the fall for another visit

Date of stay: June 2013
1  Thank Mike S

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our Gledhill House and our Sunday brunch. We do hope to see you in the future again. Lots of upgrades and changes planned for the winter.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Love this place. My husband and I bike through there regularly from Bayfield and stop for lunch on the patio. It is quite refined. The food is great. I have not stayed in the hotel but, was contemplating having my wedding here. It's a lot like the Old Mill in Toronto but, in the country.
This is truly an oasis in the country with the Mill and the river. If you want to see first hand the damage that the Goderich Tornado did, all of the lovely trees on the embankment have been downed. The Benmiller was lucky to have been spared although some of the outbuildings were damaged.
I would recommend taking your bike. There are cycling day trips from Benmiller. to points east, North or South to Bayfield (stop for lunch or a swim in the lake)... There are fantastic rural routes/lines with no cars on them parallel to Hwy 21, best cycling in Ontario...

Date of stay: September 2012
2  Thank Saragil
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. We do have some wonderful places to bike and hike in the area. Glad that you enjoyed everything and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This past week I had the pleasure of experiencing my first stay at the Benmiller Inn.I have eaten at the restaurant in the past,but this was first time I really got to see what the Inn was all about.
I had dinner my first evening,and being mostly vegetarian it can sometimes be a challenge.I was pleasantly surprised when they had a wonderful entree, and tweaked a appetizer so that I could thoroughly enjoy my meal.
As to my room,everything was wonderful,from the bed,to the Aveda products in the bathroom.
I will definitely be back!

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank suzanne333_11

We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here. We have just launched an entire Vegetarian menu so you will have more options to choose from. Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were clean but very dated. Bed was very comfortable. Some staff were kind of friendly. Food was good not great. We were given one night and paid for another. Here in winter, maybe nicer in summer. Nice place but pricey.

Date of stay: March 2013

Thank you for your review. We are constantly changing and growing. Many updates are currently going on around the property and in the rooms. We do hope to see you again so you can see some of these changes for yourself.