All reviewsmain buildingdining roomgledhill housethe riverhot tubcrepesselect roomdifferent buildingswedding guestsfine diningoverlooking the ponddeluxe suitean older propertybeautiful spotromantic weekendbit datedcaesar salad
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Inn which did not live up to our expectations. Our group of 4 couples shared a separate cottage on the river. My wife and I were assigned the larger room which had a large separate entertainment room with river views and a flat screen TV. The bedroom also had a a modern flat screen TV. The problem is that the entertainment room had a strange odor, which persisted even though we opened the screen door and windows. It was there the second day as well. The bathtub did not drain adequately.

There was no communication between the front desk and the dining room. Even though it was off-season and there were not many guests, the dining room was unaware at dinner and breakfast twice that there was a group of 8 and each time they had to scramble to set up a table for us. Reservations at the Inn had been made months in advance.

The evening dinner was excellent. The breakfast buffet the next morning was not. The choice was limited. The scrambled eggs were dense and only slightly warm. Probably the worst scrambled eggs ever. Fortunately, there were not enough guests the second morning for there to have been a buffet, so we had to order from the limited menu. The food was fantastic. I could not believe that I was eating at the same restaurant!

None of us had any criticism of the wait staff. All did their jobs well and with a smile.

The indoor swimming pool was larger than expected. The water quality was checked while we were swimming.

Our group of 8 who are all over 70 have been getting together each April or May at Ontario Inns and the Benmiller was on my bucket list. The setting remains excellent, but the experience was not up to expectations and we were not thrilled as were the other reviewers.

Room Tip: We were in the Mill House. Footsteps carry from the upper level, so get a room on the upper level if noise bothers you at night.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 800Bobbo
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Thank you for your review. Communication is a place where everyone can do better but I am happy you enjoyed the dining and some of the other aspects of your stay.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

My son booked a relaxing getaway for me and a friend. We had never stayed at the Benmiller Inn before so we did not know what to expect. We were both blown away with the beautiful natural setting. Our rooms were well beyond our expectations and included every amenity imaginable. Dinner was amazing and the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. Amazing views, gourmet food, incredible staff, and even a spa! I look forward to my next trip back. Special thanks to Shari and Dawn who gave our stay a personal touch.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol M

Thank you so much for the review. We are happy you enjoyed it. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

I recently had the opportunity to get away on my own to the Benmiller Inn in Goderich, Ontario - and I can't wait to do it again! I was greeted warmly by Dawn at the front desk and immediately made to feel welcome! My room was charming, dinner was fabulous, I enjoyed a great night's sleep, and treated myself to a wonderful, relaxing massage at the spa the next morning. It was only a little over an hour's drive for me from London, and I decided to drive to Stratford for the afternoon before going home, which was another easy drive away! It was such a lovely, affordable and rejuvenating time away! I will definitely go back again soon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Heather A
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

It was a pleasure to meet you and I am so happy that you came to see us at the Benmiller Inn and had the opportunity to experience all the different things we have to offer. We will see you soon once again!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Our Extended Holiday Stay At Ben Miller Inn Was Second To None

This is the happy truth. We came for a few days this spring, after house moving, just to relax and plan a trip to Florida till our new place was ready, and after a few days enjoying the gorgeous pool, hot tub and sauna, overlooking the mighty Maitland River and mill falls, my wife Anna said...”Let’s Stay Here!”.

We were actually packed with sandals, shorts etc in the SUV. To be frank, we have stayed at the Inn many times over the years, since 1978, sometime several days at a time, sometimes just for lunch on the outdoor patio beside the river, but this was totally impromptu and such a pleasant surprise to us both to consider. Certainly we were exhausted, but the attention everyone paid to us, and such stunning surroundings, inside and out, we found it quite easy to get used to the idea. After such remarkable food experiences, in the ambience of a first class establishment we have always thought, combined with a setting along the river tributaries that flow beside the dining room and meander about the premises, and just in the first couple of days, we said to ourselves.....the pool is warm, the hot tub is hot, the views are amazing, the people smile, the food is sumptuous and elegant, our favourite room with balcony overlooked the water was perfect, how could we hope for better down south, and take the many risks associated with travel. Besides,we decided "pampering" trumps the rat race.

We didn’t tell the staff that we were heading to Florida at first, but eventually we did. They were astounded. Can you imagine seeing the same hosts daily as you partake such delectable’s created by the several chefs, often they would see us walking down the walkway for late morning breakfast and have our table waiting with hot coffee already poured!!! We encouraged them to call us by our first names, which they had difficulty accepting, but we insisted. All the staff is truly genuine and conciencous, just what you might expect from an established country inn.

After every breakfast, which included fresh fruit continental and their signature scones, then hot Huron County food where even the pea meal bacon was homemade, we had to work it off, so we headed out to explore, at least every second day was walking the trails around the Inn and Conservation Area, the local towns, always returning to the pool for a couple of hours to read and compute. Eventually, the fish were jumping right outside the floor to ceiling windows at the pool. Our favourite thing.

The housekeeping staff kept us clean and tidy beyond our expectation. They were terrific. We even met the Owner, who is truly dedicated to ensure all is good for his guests. Almost all the staff is longstanding with the Inn.

We have come to enjoy the comings and goings at the Inn, seeing them working with young couples planning their wedding, sharing a chat with the gardener, asking the chef in afternoon what he is preparing special for that night,(the rack of lamb is indescribable) talking with the desk crew that seem to have the best job of talking with people on the phone who are excitedly booking a getaway. Everything was set in a rustic yet elegant atmosphere, but almost every guest we saw was dressed to their own comfort, like us. That way, they had the most fun it seemed.

We wouldn’t hesitate to return, even after experiencing as much of the daily routine of business as we did, but it was what worked for us.

Thank you all at the Inn for a very memorable holiday.

Anna and Paul
PS: the Sunday Brunch draws crowds from afar, and made things exciting for us, we couldn't wait till the weekend. The pastry chef Martin is renowned for his creations, we can attest.

Room Tip: Staff are happy to show you any room that you might enjoy. They have such a variety, from the main Inn building to any of the other mill buildings, most including waterviews.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna C

Thank you so much! It has been such a privilege to get to know you two. Your support means so much to us and we all miss seeing you each morning at breakfast. You are part of our Benmiller family and we always look forward to seeing you and chatting with you. We will see you in the fall again.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I had a wonderful evening away by myself, hubby and baby stayed home! The food was great! my room at the spa building. it had a amazing view of the river. the walk down to dinner and breakfast was beautiful. The Staff was so friendly and helpful. Just a great relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

It is nice to be able to get away for a night and relax. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us here. Thank you for the review and the kind words. Hope to see you again soon.