“A nice winter getaway.”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed 9 February 2009

For a nice "pre-valentines" getaway, my husband and I drove out to The Benmiller Inn. I was a bit worried when I saw the reviews, but it was nice. If you are relying on a GPS to get you there I would suggest Map Questing it because our GPS didn't quite pick up the road to turn down. The front desk respectionist said it happens often, and it's not a complicated route, however in the dark, when it's snowy, it's easy to drive past. The property was gorgeous!! Like mentioned in previous reviews, the rooms are in different buildings, so the trot across to the pool was a bit cold but so worth it! It was a bit later and my husband and I had the pool,hotub, and sauna all to ourselves, which was nice. (keep in mind January is probably a slow month) We had the Select room, which had a comfy king bed with an LCD flat screen TV, and a balcony that overlooked the river. I usually love whirlpool tubs, but the one in our bathroom was a bit loud and dated. Breakfast was incredible! I keep thinking about the omlette I had, and the mini waffles with fresh berries!! There were a few things out "buffet style", but all the hot items could be ordered fresh, which I thought was a great idea. Walking past the lounge made me wish we stopped by the night before. It was so inviting with fireplaces, comfy chairs, and even Scrabble!! Overall we enjoyed our stay, however I feel the rates are a little too expensive, especially for the quality of the rooms and the fact it was during the slow season. From what I gather most of the Spa Rooms have been newly renovated, so maybe they may be worth it.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Acadiana_8
Evan_Roberts, Innkeeper at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. One of the many great things about Benmiller is that although we are close to many urban centres, we also seem to be a million miles away. Peace, tranquility and balance are what we are all about. I am so pleased that you and your husband chose us for your retreat. It is gorgeous in all seasons, although I am glad for you that you were able to enjoy a quiter period.

Cheers!

Scott
Innkeeper

There are newer reviews for Benmiller Inn & Spa

Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband and I have really busy schedules in the city and really needed a break. The kids were at Grandmas house and we needed some "us" time. We absolutely found it at Benmiller. The whole place was amazing. We were there just before Christmas and the grounds were covered in a blanket of fresh snow. The reservations person had described the place as a Winter Wonderland and she was right. I wish that I could say that there was one thing in particular that out shone any other experience but I can't. The room was great, we staying the the Gledhill House which had a large room, and amazing bed and small balcony overlooking a pond (but it was too cold to enoy). Our room was a short refreshing walk to the dining room and lounge. We took some time in these great chaise lounges by the fireplace in the lounge and almost didn't want to give them up to go to dinner. We were glad we did! The dinner was very good. Certainly as good as any we have found in the city and the menu used numerous local products. Our server gave us a map where we could actually visit some of these food vendors in the area. We had two different servers each night at dinner, and they were excellent. The service was proper, but delivered in a very warm friendly way. They were both equally knowledgeable about the extensive wine list as well. In fact, any staff that we came across seemed to go out of their way to help us. Even the maintenace guy said hello as he was shovelling snow! We loved it, it was just the escape we were looking for and we WILL be back! Thanks Benmiller!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCameron
Reviewed 1 September 2008

the visit was just shy of making us want to come back...

We stayed here two nights during Labour Day weekend. We booked one of the Ivey Rooms which are the middle grade and we were in the Mill House. With taxes the room was just over $300 a night.

Room was very large and the king size bed had a feather bed and duvet. We overlooked the Maitland River from our room.

Our initial thought upon entering our room was that we were disappointed given the money we were spending on the room. We had carpet that was slightly wrinkled and stained, 70s style velour sitting chairs (one was off-white with several scuff type stains). We had a nice little patio that we could have sat out on except that there were only two small aluminum chairs that weren't comfortable at all to spend any time on. Adirondack chairs would have been perfect.

Bathroom was very dated, fixtures in tub are corroded looking and hair dryer has seen better days. No bathrobes but monster size towels.

We didn't sleep well the first night because the room above us had their air conditioning on all night long even though it was cool in the evening and the rumble was loud in our room (we had our window open and didn't use the air conditioner).

So that's the negative. There are a lot of positives about the resort - the grounds are very pretty, particularly at the main inn and the Gledhill House area. The restaurant has a beautiful ambiance to it. We didn't eat there for dinner but breakfast was wonderful for the scenery (and the food was OK though not inspiring other than their cheese plate the last day - whatever cranberry cheese it was was amazing).

The pool and jacuzzi looked to be very nice though we didn't use them. High speed internet worked well though sometimes tough to get a signal.

Staff were very pleasant and the turn-down service with an apple on each nightstand was very nice. Check in and out was very easy.

To be fair we didn't take as much advantage of the resort as we could have. We only used it as a stopping grounds on our day trips elsewhere.

I think our major frustration with the resort is that it could easily be so perfect and is just missing the details like bathrobes, nicer sitting chairs, updated bathrooms and other room upgrades that we typically see in other $300/night rooms.

If you're just using this as a place to stay while you tour the local areas then it's probably not worth the money. As others have said, you're paying for the grounds. We basically felt that we were paying $50-$100 more than we wanted to given our experience with other inns. Though we're not sure about how it compares for prices in the area - it seems to be priced somewhat competitively for the resort/inn locations in the area so maybe our experience in other parts of Ontario is skewing our perceptions.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sw123
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Our initial motivation to go to Benmiller was to attend a good friends wedding who had picked the place instead of asking us all to go to Vegas or the Carribean. We loved it so much, that we stayed two more nights! I don't normally write things like this, but when I read some of the past reviews, I couldn't help myself. How could you not love the place. It is a hidden gem and took us only about 2 1/2 hours to get there from TO. The staff were AMAZING! From check in to the service in the dining room, both for the wedding and for our selfish romantic dinner the following night, they were warm, friendly and attentive. We dine out rather often in the city and would put their chef and service up against any restaurant in Toronto. The rooms have a country feel to them, really comfortable beds and had all the amenities we needed. I stay with Hilton when I travel on business, and knew that this is not what we were going to find in here in Goderich, and would go back again in an instant. My only regret is that the spa was booked, but will definitely try to get in next time. The bride and her attendants visited the spa the day before the wedding and simply raved about it. Benmiller Inn & Spa - you will see us again!

1  Thank Benmiller_Fan
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We had been at the Ben Miller Inn twice in the past, but the reviews on this website were so negative, we almost cancelled for this time. I wrote to the Innkeeper, and he said," It breaks my heart when I hear this. Some people come to the inn expecting a Marriott or Hilton experience." I think he was right. This is not the pristine, polished hotel many of us has gotten used to and enjoy. It is a different experience. Think English countryside and inn, and that's more like it.
The room we had overlooked the stream and the rushing water made me take a restful nap immediately. The staff were charming, helpful, and the housekeepers left fresh plums on our pillows for an evening snack.
The food in the diningroom was of the quality of a fine dining experience in Toronto, and the prices were the same. The meals we had were extraordinary, creative, and delicious, and we got to eat outside on the terrace surrounded by flora and fauna and one very quick chipmunk.
We returned home relaxed and refreshed. Loved the Ben Miller Inn.

1  Thank miracletravel
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This is our second Fine Inn of Ontario experience and we were not disappointed.

The Benmiller Inn and Spa was a fabulous inn and we would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a relaxing day or weekend away.

The grounds are gorgeous, the views are breathtaking, the staff is superb and the food is delicious. The amazing thing about inns is that from the moment you walk into the building you are immediately relaxed and the Benmiller was no exception.

Our day at the inn was overcast and raining and that was OK because it was enjoyable to spend several hours in our beautifully appointed room - complete with soft throws on leather couches and the most comfortable bed we have ever been in.

Added touches such as the turn-down service - complete with apples from a local orchard - and amenities such as a lounge with sink-into couches, a pool with views of the river and ice and pop machines ensured all our needs were taken care off.

Well done Benmiller Inn and staff.

L&J

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FineInnFan
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Fantastic!!!
We have stayed at the Benmiller 3 times now and will go again.
The perfect getaway, don't be cheap and get the SPA room...
Great fishing while my wife gets pampered in the SPA.
5 STAR dining and accomadations!!
The only complaint is when we have to leave...
Wintertime is great as well...

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nebjamin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
6.8 km away
Dreamz Inn
#1 of 9 in Goderich
18.1 km away
The Little Inn of Bayfield

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!