“Overpriced old hotel past its prime”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Beautifully located and charming at first glance, however, get past checking in and the lobby and observe... Our room had a musty smell; it was damp with visible mould. Old carpets, cobwebs, crime and dirty (rotting food under the bed), outdate bathroom and décor (1970s), outdated appliances, cold- heater not working (room attendants could not fix). The accommodation was totally misrepresented on the website and certainly not four stars any more. Overall a sad, run down, unclean, unkept place, well past its prime, poses health risk with anyone with allergies or respiratory issues, grossly misrepresents itself on their website and certainly is not one of Ontario’s finest.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank missboofoo2

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Very quiet, serine place, beautiful grounds, beautiful large room with lots of character, comfy bed, hot tub and pool were immaculate and warm, dining room fabulous, service super, my four grand children (age 7 - 10) talked about this as the best part of their trip with grandma for weeks, I totally agree with them. Fabulous. would highly recommend this country spa to anyone of any age. Wish we could have stayed longer! And hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank GrandmaV050
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We spent a memorable family Thanksgiving weekend at The Benmiller Inn! From the relaxed informative check in, to the" Turn Down " service with the crisp apples in our cosy, antique filled room in The Woolen Mill, we were made to feel welcome. The bed was amazing, and the large room very quiet. Hospitality is a fine art, and it is well honed here! The decor is beautiful, with old Mill touches, conducive to cosy relaxation. With an excellent wine list, the lounge is a great place to do just that.
The Ivey Dining Room, we highly recommend! With eight in our family, our dietary needs varied...and with a "no problem"approach, our three family members (previously Vegan) request for a" Raw" Thanksgiving dinner was prepared. Although we had the exceptional Traditional Thanksgiving dinner , I tasted the "Raw" dressing made from nuts & herbs, and it was incredible! I also sampled the chocolate cake dessert made from Almonds...really amazing. The culinary staff are very skilled.
We would gladly revisit The Benmiller Inn and Spa (whose services I recommend as well), as the overall experience was stellar!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank naturalight
Reviewed 16 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Benmiller for our first anniversary and loved it.

The dinner and breakfast were fantastic...yes breakfast runs from 8am-10am but the environment is extremely relaxing we went in our comfy clothes and relaxed afterward. As someone who likes to sleep in, I had no issue with the time frame, because the food was worth it.

The pool, whirlpool and sauna....although old, were functional and met our needs with no issues or concerns.

Our room was in the River Mill building - same building as the pool and spa..we had no issue with any undesirable odours. The room was very clean and the room decor went well with the rest of the buildings and the era they are attemping to represent. The view from the room was also beautful.

The staff were polite and very helpful...again no issues.

Benmiller is in the country and a short drive from nearby Goderich. It was easy to find - we didn't need a map or GPS.

We would recommend Benmiller to anyone looking for a getaway - but if you are the type that likes modern hotels with all the modern touches this may not be the place for you. If you like beautiful scenery, old school style and fantastic food then we see no reason why you wouldn't like Benmiller.

We are looking forward to a future visit at Benmiller.

1  Thank MC9055
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stayed at this Inn because we had heard so much about what a wonderful place it was. And it probably was at one time. Firstly, the location and setting are amazing, which is why we can't understand why they have let the place go.
We stayed in a spa room which was located in the same building as the pool. The smell of the clorine the first night we stayed was so strong that we had to leave the air conditioner running all night to draw in the outside air. The windows were caked with mold as was the wall where the spa bath met the floor. The coffee maker was broken and the TV was old and outdated.
The pool and hot tub area was in very poor repair and not clean.
Breakfast was included, but only available for 2 hours, between 8 and 10am. The food was very good and the service was mediocre.
This place is in need of some serious updating and cleaning. We felt as though we had be dupped. We have stayed in worse places, but not for $238 .

3  Thank sharron1
Reviewed 5 October 2010

This hotel was selected for myself and my colleagues as we made our way across northern Ontario. When we got to the hotel, it was dark and could not see much. The front lobby was beautiful and rustic and the service at the front desk was prompt and courteous.

My room was not in the main building but in the "spa" building. I had to walk a few minutes down the street to get to my building but it was well worth the trek. As long as you can get over the overwhelming smell of chlorine from the pool, you will be quite satisfied with the newly renovated rooms.

My room had a jacuzzi in it, a fireplace, and a beautiful view (at least when I could see it in the morning). In terms of cleanliness, however, I was a little disappointed to find the room was not up to my standards. I mean, it wasn't dirty by any means, but it was the little things in the bathroom(s) that were kinda gross - a dead bug, errant strands of hair in the tub, and watermarks left on the bathroom counter top. The bed was extremely comfortable and warm. An iPod docking station/alarm clock was also in the room in addition to a very delicious apple which had been placed on my night stand. Lovely touch!

My one problem with this room was the paper thin walls. You could hear everything that was happening in the hallways - people walking by and chatting - as well as your neighbours music and television playing.

The free breakfast was sensational! Better than most that I've had at some other chain hotels. All in all, I would definitely come back to this hotel. It's a good find up in the Goderich area and I would recommend it to any passersby.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank DimitraT
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary at Benmiller Inn the first weekend of October. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was a bit nervous about going. I am SO HAPPY that we did go!!! The Inn is a beautiful historic building. The service was outstanding, food was stunning and the staff very friendly. Yes, there are some things that need to be repaired, this did not in any way affect our stay. Our room was lovely with a king size bed, the bathroom was clean, lots of hot water and the view from our room was amazing! We enjoyed the pool - actually had it to ourselves at 8:00 a.m.!!
If you want to go someplace with lots of history and charm, this is the place to be! Don't always rely on the reviews, check it out and you could be pleasantly surprised - like I was!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
6.8 km away
7.1 km away
Maple Leaf Motel
Maple Leaf Motel
#4 of 9 in Goderich

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!