“Sunday brunch was amazing!”
Review of Benmiller Inn

Benmiller Inn
Ranked #8 of 47 Restaurants in Goderich
Price range: US$11 - US$42
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The Sunday brunch here is out of this world! So many options, and all freshly cooked with fresh, local ingredients. The spread is really impressive! The atmosphere is stunning and the new owners have done a great job re-building the landscaping and surroundings after the tornado. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at Benmiller for two night over a weekend recently. We arrived late on the Friday night and had a very late dinner at the Inn.

The menu looked very appetizing as did the dishes that came out, but the . For example, I had a Braised shortrib for an appetizer... the dish came out with the plate cold, the meat barely luke warm, but the potato croquettes on the dish were quite hot. Then I had lamb for my main course, and again the meat was luke warm, but the vegetables were nice and hot. Seemes to have been a preparation timing and plating issue... After our first experieince, we were kind of concerned how th rest of the weekend would go.

We then had breakfast the following morning at the Inn and it was a quite nice mix between continental type choices and some hot tiems. But again, the hot meat items (bacon and sausage) were barely luke warm.

Good news is the Inn turned it around for Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning brunch. Plates were hot, food was hot, everything tasted amazing and presenation great too. No complaints for those meals whatsoever!

Service in the dining room was consistently good and very firednly, but I wonder if possibly they could have noticed some of the issues, such as delivering plates that were cold to the touches, when they are sometimes hot to the touch.

So, I am not sure what happened Friday night and Saturday morning, but the rest of the stay was what we were used to experiencing in our previous two stays at Benmiller.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

The Benmiller Inn is an old mill that was converted. So much of the furniture and décor is from the old mill. There are multiple buildings so the style of room changes building to building. I love staying in the main building. The rooms are smaller but so classy, warm, and cozy. I stayed here in 1993 and it was the first time I ever stepped on a heated tile bathroom floor. Since then I must have stayed here a dozen different times. It has a large indoor pool and Jacuzzi. The breakfast if worth staying for and the dining is expensive but so worth it. Just remember, its old. Old places are so hard to maintain and they do a very good job but at times something may be broken or out of order. Don’t let this change your mind about staying here. But if you get your mind right before arrival there won’t be any surprises.

1  Thank Bryan A
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We spent a September evening at Benmiller Inn, celebrating our wedding anniversaries with good friends.
It was our first time here and to put the correct perspective on this review you must realize that this beautiful location was/is recovering from a destructive tornado that came down the valley one month ago.
We were informed on arrival that it, uncharacteristically, was a very slow night and that they had minimum staff on duty. Before dinner drinks were served in a warm and cozy fireplace room. We reviewed the Prix Fixe menu over drinks and proceeded to the dining room. Our table overlooked a clear bubbly stream- nice atmosphere!
Dinner for our two couples consisted of three courses, each person selecting their own appetizer, entree and dessert. Each course was excellent! Benmiller has a very extensive winelist.
Our only caveat was the fact that they were short-staffed and it was reflected in a few minor slips in service
(forgotten bread tray, no Brie cheese on the summer salad as per the menu), however, we had a great night out and would definitely go back.

4  Thank Jim T
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Upon hearing that Benmiller Inn suffered some damage from the F3 tornado that devastated Goderich, I thought that I should see if the dining room was still open for business so that I could show my support for an inn that I consider to be one of the most romantic in the world. Although parts of the inn are closed due to damage sustained in the tornado, the Woolen Mill and its attached dining room are open. Despite the ravages wrought by the tornado, the area surrounding the inn is still idyllic. The dining room itself has a wonderful atmosphere and is full of interesting items pertaining to its former life as a mill.

The meal that my parents and I recently ate there was outstanding. We all opted for the three course prix fixe menu, that was priced at a very reasonable $25.00. My parents thoroughly enjoyed their appetizer of quesidillas and loved the panko encrusted whitefish. My own appetizer of calamari was exquisitely prepared, and was a pleasure to eat. Calamari if not prepared properly can be a bit rubbery, but this was not the case at Benmiller Inn. The pork tenderloin dish that I ordered was delicious and very well presented as were all of the dishes that were brought to the table. The portions were generous. In fact, my father was so full from the first two courses that he had to forego dessert. My mother and I, intrepid diners that we are, still had room for dessert and feasted on a crème brulee accompanied by a lemon coulis. The service we received from the time we entered the inn until the time we left was both friendly and efficient.

In short, the dining room at Benmiller Inn is a wonderful place to enjoy a first class dinner in one of the most picturesque settings in southwestern Ontario. It really is a hidden gem and is well worth a visit if you are in the vicinity.

1  Thank ani79