“WORST HOLIDAY EVER” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
San Diego
“WORST HOLIDAY EVER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Alright let's get started with a list of terrible spring break experiences. First of all if you want a sun bed get up at 3am and start campfire because you might need one to keep warm to wait in line all those hours before they actually let you fight for the sunbeds. If you do want a sunbed by the ocean you will have to pay a little bit extra for those, but yet you still have to wait in line. Breakfast was an absolute disgrace you would have to wait in a line which ran about 50 feet from the front of the line where you give your name then you'd have to wait in another long line for your table. I also went to the so called famous Luau all it consisted of was some pretty average food, but I thought the performance was quite interesting. All in all this was probably my worst holiday we had to fight for sunbeds literally. I don't think I will ever go back to Grand Wailea or any Hilton resort. The scary thing about this is that I read in a local newspaper that they're thinking of adding an extra 300 rooms to this resort which could really scare me for other people staying there in the future. I would not recommend this resort to anyone please do not stay here.

Room Tip: Get up at 4am if you want a sun bed
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Jake A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Biloxi, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

(1) I had a positive first impression from Grand Wailea management a week before even arriving. A close family member fell ill and we had the possibility of having to cancel our trip if a worst-case outcome took place. Already inside the two-week advance cancellation window for during high season, I contacted the General Manager to find out, as a multi-year HiltonHonors Diamond status member (I don’t play my “HH Diamond card” very often but it’s nice to have it when I might need it), if I could get a waiver and have my very large number of HiltonHonors points that I redeemed for this trip returned to my account if an unfortunate circumstance occurred requiring cancellation. His executive assistant promptly returned my call and facilitated contact with both the GM and also the Front Desk Manager, and both agreed to the waiver if I needed it…providing tremendous peace of mind to me as the lead-up week progressed. As it turned out, our family member came through surgery OK and our trip proceeded as planned, but in any case I was grateful, again given high season for the resort.

(2) As other reviewers have indicated, there’s a WalMart in Kahului just outside the Airport along Diary Road, a good place to stop for some basic provisions (bottled water, etc) and breakfast food for your room’s mini-fridge, in order to save money on the exorbitantly priced breakfast options available on the resort property. There’s also a Safeway just off Hwy 31 at the Pi’ikea Rd. intersection in Kihei on your way to Wailea.

(3) We arrived about an hour later than most other folks from our flight due to our extended WalMart stop, so check in was calm and easy. I had already done my homework and brought plenty of 1- and 5-dollar bills ready for tipping throughout the trip, but I was still a little annoyed that upon my first impression of the property I felt compelled to tip the parking valet (or valet “greeter”) for emptying our luggage from the car onto a cart, and then the bellman again for delivery to my room. I’m happy to tip (and tip well) for excellent service, but I consider the normal protocol to be that the bellman empties the car and delivers luggage (and earns tip), and no tip to parking valet until delivery of my car the next time out, not at drop-off. As for hotel check-in, if we had arrived during the “rush” an hour earlier I suspect it would have been slower – the front desk seems understaffed at some hours.

(4) My HH Diamond status yielded a 20% spa discount coupon for one treatment and a 2 HumuHumu discount coupons, all convenient since we had already made reservations at both venues prior to our arrival. (Another TA HH Diamond status level reviewer had foretold me of these discounts for HH Diamonds, so I was already expecting them and was happy about it.). Our award stay also yielded waiver of the $25/day resort fee (we still had to pay the $30/day parking valet fee). We also received an upgrade from our award-stay-reserved Terrace level room to a room in the exclusive Napua Tower…and even though it was on the 6th floor and not the “ideal” 8th or 9th, it was still excellent and an appreciated upgrade. Napua occupancy also yielded some additional amenities including an excellent Continental breakfast…meaning that much of that stop at WalMart for breakfast food went to waste…oh well. (Live and learn: If you’re a HH Diamond, call ahead the day of arrival and find out if you’ve scored a Napua Tower upgrade…you should still stop at WalMart or Safeway immediately when you arrive on Maui for your snacks/bottled water/necessities (saving you from that first morning’s sticker shock when you try to breakfast on site), but if you’re in Napua with that included Continental breakfast you can save money on the breakfast foods you might have picked up if you’d stayed elsewhere on property that doesn’t include breakfast.)

(5) Our room in Napua was excellent; the bathroom is superb, including the provided shampoos, lotions etc., spacious stand-up shower, double vanity, private and pleasant lanai, etc. My only nitpick about the bathroom would be the position of the lighting at the sink/mirror…the bright lamps are mounted to the side of the mirror, meaning they throw a shadow onto one’s hands from the side and make it hard for a bearded man like myself to accurately trim up my beard. Yes, it’s a weird nitpick but it still affected me…a missed detail by the designers/decorators in an otherwise excellent bathroom presentation.

(6) Another item I observed in Napua is that the card key readers to get onto each floor are obviously worn and need repair/replacement; on multiple floors both my wife’s and my cardkeys required no less than 4 or 5 attempts to finally get a green light (and the keys worked fine on the room door, proving that it’s an issue with those outer gate readers). In addition, the gate hinges don’t always adequately auto-close the gates. It’s a sign of age/wear and needs attention.

(7) My final issue in Napua is the otherwise excellent Continental breakfast. It’s scheduled for 7:00-10:00AM, but the attendant never had it ready before 7:05AM. Is 5 minutes a big deal, especially on vacation and trying to “relax”? No, it’s not a huge deal. BUT: 7AM means 7AM, not 7:05…especially when the vast majority of guests are still on “body mainland time”…meaning that it’s already approaching “body afternoon” if from Central or Eastern time. And parents with kids (and childfree bystanders like me) have to endure hungry offspring whining, “Why isn’t it open-n-n-n yet-t-t-t???” (Yes, I experienced that on multiple mornings.) Combine that with the NOT-relaxing beach/pool “chair rush” that ALSO begins at exactly 7AM and not a minute before, and you can see the problem here (more on that below). This is a high end resort…start the offerings promptly when they are advertised to start, please…or better still, start them earlier (also see below). I also observed that the “hot” food offerings at the Continental breakfast were consistently served lukewarm or even cold…and there’s no microwave there to heat it up a bit. Again, this (the slacking-because-no-one’s-supervising-them early morning staff) strikes me as an issue that management is not aware of because they’re not on hand at that hour to experience it, and few if any guests ever mention it (I’ve made the same observation about breakfast not starting on time at many Hilton-branded properties over the years, and in EVERY (and I do mean every) case, the manager didn’t know about it because he/she is never there right at opening time, and had never heard about it from a guest until I pointed it out). So here it is for Grand Wailea management: Have your staff start breakfast on time every day, make sure hot food is indeed served (and kept) hot, and show up at opening time more than once in a while to spot check that your instructions are being followed consistently.

(8) Let’s move on to the pool/beach “chair rush”. It’s very real, especially during high season such as Passover/Easter Spring Break week when we were here. Promptly at 7AM (meaning that queue-up begins at least 15 to 25 minutes before), and not a minute before, the activity desk opens up and one must obtain a wrist band for the day (and they use a different color each day so you’ve got to get one each day) in order to manage registered guests vs. “amenity poachers” from other properties (it happens; I witnessed some polite ejections). Then, one must rush to the location of their choice (main pool, adult pool, or beach chair cart) to secure chairs for one’s group (and yes, the chairs are packed in like sardines at all the venues). And as other reviewers have reported, there’s the ongoing act of making sure that at least one member of the party “holds the fort” so that the patrolling staff doesn’t take away the towels and give away your chairs to someone else, likely a poor sap who chose to actually relax in the morning while on vacation (what a concept) and DIDN’T get involved in the 7AM queue-up, and thus later in the morning has to troll for 2 or more adjacent chairs. Frequent flyer Dave says: It feels EXACTLY like what it’s like to board a plane these days and have to fight for a position in the boarding line in order to secure overhead storage for carry-ons. And worse, in addition to the Napua Continental breakfast, other breakfast options on property (dining room buffet) also start at exactly 7AM and not a minute before, meaning that one has to secure the chairs, exit for breakfast and make sure you return within 55 minutes to “keep your spot”, or otherwise not eat with your spouse/SO/group while one gets the chairs and the other gets breakfast (which is what my wife and I did…nice romantic breakfast, eh?)

(9) Here’s a strong suggestion for members of resort management, who apparently DO read these reviews: Given “mainland time” of most guests, WHY can’t the breakfast options start at 6AM and not 7AM, so that breakfast can be enjoyed (well, OK, hurriedly consumed in order to still queue up early for the chairs) and then make the 7AM “chair rush” in time without having to make a choice between breakfast or chair queue position. This is a simple quasi-solution and should be implemented IMMEDIATELY…because starting everything at exactly 7AM given the “chair rush” situation is just unacceptable, period. Now I expect that hotel management may reply to this review with the usual soft “we’ve studied this and we know our market” language (see many other reviews and management replies around here)…but this one is indefensible, sorry. Start the various meal services an hour before the pool/beach service…it’s a no-brainer, JUST DO IT.

(10) The saving grace to the “chair rush” for us was the Hibiscus (adult-only) pool. Even during high season we were able to secure a pair of chairs near enough to the pool to be good enough for us. I’m certain that is/was NOT the case for those with multiple kids needing to place themselves at the Activity pool. For them, during high season, “losing” at the chair competition is not an option. (The Hibiscus pool is also an oasis for grown-ups…it SAVED our stay and is THE reason I would consider returning here, being childfree and given the huge number of families with children who come here.

(11) I could also live without the not one but two solicitations for joining the Grand Wailea Club for future discounted visits. We received a note on the pillow about it one evening upon turn-down service, and then a follow up voicemail about it, with “incentive” to sign up during this visit. The pillow note would have been sufficient, thank you very much.

(12) Returning to the positives, we availed ourselves of Spa Grande twice during our stay, and HumuHumu once; I have reviewed them both as separate venues here on TA with 5-star ratings of each. In addition, the grounds of the property are indeed as superb as so many other reviewers have noted…it is always a pleasure to explore and discover everything the property has to offer.

(13) Check-out was a breeze; express check-out was fine as everything was in order on the final bill slipped under our door that morning. Recommendation (and I did this, which made said check-out so straightforward): For a resort like this, stop by the front desk more than once during your stay to have them print you off a “bill to date” so that you can check that everything charged to your room is accurate and as expected. If there’s one thing you don’t want with a multi-hundreds/thousands dollar stay, it’s time-consuming controversy at check-out time, when at that moment you’re thinking ahead about the chaos that you’re about to confront at Kahului Airport within the next hour. If there are any errors or confusion on your bill, you want to handle it well before then.

I hope that this long and detailed review of our stay at the Grand Wailea is helpful to many of you. As the title indicates, if those few flaws are corrected, we would surely return again to this spectacular property.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
19 Thank DaveR19
Rutherford, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for a one week over Easter break. We arranged for two oceanfront adjoining rooms to accommodate my husband and myself in the King room and two teen-aged girls in the room with 2 Queens. The rooms are nicely appointed. A nice touch is the empty refrigerator provided that allowed us to buy some provisions at Safeway to keep in the room. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were large. To call them oceanfront rooms is misleading, since the rooms are very far from the beach. Yes, you can see the beach, but it is a distant view.

We had stayed at the resort years ago, so we knew to expect it to be busy, but is was even more chaotic than we remembered and the staff are indifferent to the frustrations and, at times, arrogant. We remembered Day Rooms being available so that guests can enjoy the pools and beach if their rooms are not ready upon check-in. We asked to use a Day Room, but were refused. I spent two hours in jeans with four carry-on bags looking for a place to sit down outside and was never able to find one. No help was offered. I had let everyone else swim and said I would stay with the bags, expecting to find a chair to sit on. Hundreds of unused chairs were in sight, but each time I asked an attendant, I was told "Sorry, you do know it's Easter Week". It was obvious I was struggling under the weight of the bags.

Each morning there is a forced march to wait for chairs at the beach or by the pool. One must arrive well before 7am, which makes a vacation feel like a chore. One must wait on one line for a chair, another for towels and another for breakfast. The hostess at the Dining Room is most unpleasant, shooing me away, telling me to wait away from her sight until my name was called. It felt unkind. It often feels as if they have forgotten we are paying customers, having paid a premium for holiday week.

If one were able to visit this resort on some off week, it might be pleasant, but we must travel within school vacations, so my guess is that this family resort is often slow on the off-season, but I will not be returning. They did nothing to earn our loyalty.

BTW- this resort has many upcharges. We paid extra for connecting rooms, a "resort fee" and daily parking for our rental car. This added over $500 to our trip unexpectedly.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are VERY far from beach/pool area. Expect to do a lot of walking. This hotel is not...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank fansynancy
blynx1, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Aloha, I would like to thank you for your review of the resort. Some of the issues you encountered do not reflect the high level of service we are known for. I would like to share with readers that we do not categorize our rooms as ocean front, as that would be misleading, our website indicates our available room types as terrace, deluxe garden, ocean view and deluxe ocean view.

We will investigate the issues that were mentioned and apologize that we did not meet the expectations of this guest. We do appreciate the valuable feedback.

Respectfully,
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Just finished up a 5 night stay at the Grand Wailea and really enjoyed it. This was our 3rd trip to Maui and we previously stayed at the Marriott and Hyatt in Kanapali. The Grand Wailea was by far the nicest hotel we have stayed at on the island. I would say the only better ones are the Ritz and Four Seasons, but they are much smaller properties so not ideal for families with younger kids.

Grounds are absolutely beautiful, rooms were larger than expected, pool big, workout facilities top notch. The hotel was sold out during our stay so we could not use our Hilton points to upgrade to ocean view which was disappointing as we overlooked the parking lot and they had no more rooms with 2 queen beds so the kids had to sleep on the pull out couch which was not ideal. The only other negative, is the restaurant poolside did not have a very large selection of food items for adults or kids. Seems like they need to put in a few more restaurants down there and expand the menu a bit. Service was very good and we would definitely come back.

As we were leaving we heard the hotel was going to be putting millions into further remodeling which will make it even better. The bathrooms were very large and generally nice but the tile was older, you could tell. I'd say rip out the carpeting, put in tile, refresh with paint and remodel the bathrooms a bit and I would give this place 5 stars for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle G
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent 5 days at Grand Wailea and overall we were happy with the resort, we didn’t had any complaints but in the mean time we didn’t really feel that it had a “Wow” factor.

This is a huge property and looks like a relatively old property and it’s starting to show that. if you are looking for a big, well kept, family resort, I think this is a great option. It was kept clean and maintained well by the staff. We stayed at the top floor which had fairly impressive ocean views.

The rooms are very spacious and it was it was well kept. All the staff throughout the property was pleasant, courteous, and helpful.

One great thing about this resort is the beautiful ocean view and the proximity to the beach. I went for a run along the running path almost every day right in front of the hotel and do take advantage of that path for walk/jog because it does have a wonderful view from different sections of the surrounding area.

The pools were good. They have few pools, some tailored for kids, some for adults. The service around the pool was ok, but it is a huge property with plenty of guests, so you have to go and ask for service around the pool area rather than the other way around.

Breakfast buffet was a bit of a let down, they had very limited selection and we expected more of a selection.

We had dinner at HumuHumu restaurant one night and the food there was quiet nice. Hotel gym was well equipped with a good selection of machines and free weights.

Overall I think this is a great fit if you are looking for a big, family resort. Will be return there again? Probably not, not that we had much negative comments, but we felt it was bit too big for our liking at that price range.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors, has good ocean views. Book via Amex FHR for some added benefits.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank global_traveller112
Aloha, We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time at our hotel. Our property is on a large footprint of 40 acres and sometimes it can a little overwhelming at first, it helps always to remember that the lobby level is the 4th floor and armed with that information, the property is suddenly much more manageable. The original developer was very careful to make the property a feast for the senses, to the point where we think he may have intentionally made the resort a place to discover and take a breath surrounded by water, flowers, trees, light and art. We hope to welcome you back again soon and thank you again for the feedback.

Respectfully,
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Grand Wailea in Maui has a storied past and reputation for being a first class resort. Unfortunately, the hotel no longer lives up to its reputation.

To begin with, we went to Maui and the Grand Wailea for our small destination wedding. During the planning stages, we quickly learned that unless you are using the Grand Wailea chapel and agree to pay the exorbitant minimum admission fee, the hotel provides absolutely no assistance with wedding plans. The six rooms that we booked were apparently not enough to interest the hotel in providing the modicum of attention that we were looking for in planning our wedding. Admittedly, we were not off to a good start.

Upon arrival, the grounds are beautiful. However, the rooms are "tired" at best, and in need of an upgrade. The strange hair in the shower was a nice touch, but hey, those things are pretty small and hard to see.

In defense of the hotel, we arrived during the height of spring break and Easter week. I won't bother getting into the details about long lines, games of "musical pool chairs", and general lack of service. What was clear is that the hotel is not adequately staffed to handle a close to capacity crowd.

What I would like to focus on is the "nickel and dime" attitude that seems to be pervasive throughout the resort. I was reminded of the song Master In the House from Les Meserables (Charge them for the lice, Extra for the mice, Two percent for looking in the mirror twice, Here a little slice, There a little cut, Three percent for sleeping with the window shut).

Instead of "lice", it was $2 for extra syrup with the pancakes, $2 for fruit instead of french fries, and an extra charge for everything else that you thought would be included based upon the high daily room rates. The spa was no exception, where my massage therapist offered to "upgrade" me to a deep tissue massage when my shoulders apparently seemed a bit tighter than she was used to. I am all for a good up-sell, but not part of the way through the massage while I am supposed to be in a "zen like" frame of mind. Even the Asian massage places in the San Fernando Valley know that up-sells are supposed to come at the end of the massage, not 10 minutes after the start!! :)

Seriously, it does not take a business degree to figure out that one of the best ways to insure that guests will not come back is to charge them for things that "lessor quality" hotels are happy to include for no additional charge. It seems that the Grand Wailea are indeed "Masters" of implementing that particular strategy.

Following the Grand Wailea, we went on the the Four Seasons on Lanai and had a much different experience.

Rumor has it that the Grand Wailea is once again up for sale. What the hotel really needs is a new influx of capital for a major face lift, a new accommodating attitude, and a commitment to treat its guests in the manner that is consistent with first class resorts. Until that happens, we will not be back, and cannot recommend the resort to others.

April 14, 2012

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank BigM1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Our family stayed in 2 lagoon wing rooms from March 27th to April 1st. This is not a good week to visit this property! We waited in line for EVERYTHING! Fortunately with the time zone change, we were up at 6:00...because that's when you need to start making your game plan to get chairs.
My husband would get in the wristband line and I would get in the beach chair line and if all went well, we might get a dirty, plastic beach chair in the front row. However, by noon, there would be a new front row of those who grab chairs and plunk down in front of you. If you think you are going to play catch or paddle ball on the beach, good luck finding a place to do so.
The pool was really cool with lots of slides, caves, rope swing etc...but it was crowded beyond belief with kids and adults swimming around with their adult beverages in hand.
We stayed at the Four Seasons next door on a previous trip and found it much more relaxing-no chair wars or crack of dawn line-ups.
The Grand Wailea is too expensive to force grown adults to line up on their vacation in order to beg for a towel and a place to sit...really???? This is what we're paying for? We had 6 people in 2 rooms and payed well over $1,000 a night- yet the towel girl would only give us 4 towels! She said we would have to have our kids come and get their own towels after they stood in line for their wristbands. Are we having fun yet kids?
Oh and don't bother spending the $100 per person package to use the paddle boards and kayaks during your stay- unless you enjoy standing in line on the beach waiting for one with a bunch of other disgruntled guests. I've never seen so many unhappy people on vacation.
Lucky for us we spent the next week at The Four Seasons on The Big Island. What a contrast- Heaven!
If this hotel wants to treat guests like cattle - then they should lower their rates. For anyone expecting a luxury hotel, you will be very disappointed.

Room Tip: Lagoon wing was close to everything. It is a very large property and other wings are a long walk to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank designers5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
1.0 km away
1.0 km away
Andaz Maui At Wailea
37.2 km away
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!