7,400 results
All reviews water elevator napua tower lazy river grand wailea rope swing bistro molokini hibiscus pool chapel wing volcano bar the grand dining room cafe kula spa grande four seasons pool area adult pool per day valet parking
Reviewed April 17, 2017

The rooms are spacious, gardens and grounds are beautiful, and it's in a great location on the beach, but I would not recommend staying here. I would have preferred to have stayed at one of the smaller, neighbouring resorts.

When we stayed there it was overrun by two very large and loud conference groups. They had a great time, but it wasn't pleasant or comfortable at all for independent guests. There was very little service for anyone who was not part of the group, in fact, you were made to feel ostracised.

I've never stayed at a 5 star resort where they set up an "exclusive" tent by the pool, hand out cans of alcohol and the group stands around in the pool for hours on end drinking and becoming increasingly obnoxious (clearly not even getting out to go to the bathroom!) They were ordering food and eating/dropping it into the pool. There was food & drink littered around the pool for hours, with no clean up. They played their own music at full volume. Essentially the pool and public areas were overrun every day by these groups.

I appreciate the hotel can't control the behaviour of guests, but they can set some basic rules and standards and pay attention to all guests. Considering the very high room rate paid, to charge a resort fee on top of the overall poor experience was just an insult.

We tried to speak to a manager, but no luck. We tried to give feedback on check out and told they only request feedback on a “random basis” and perhaps we should try tripadvisor. Well here you go! Overall it wasn't as sophisticated as I had hoped and I wished I had selected a more intimate, classier option.

A very expensive mistake.

7  Thank Carol B
GWExecutiveOffice, Director of Operations at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2017

Aloha Carol B,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Grand Wailea. We promise our guests a singular Waldorf luxury experience, so I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing experience you had. We will use your comments to re-examine our processes and events in the future. I will also use your comments as a training tool for our team, as feedback is always appreciated, and not on a random basis. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2017

Wonderful accommodations and amazing service. You are greeted by Rose (Lei Greeter) who just set the tone for a marvelous vacation. The food was excellent and service was superb. We became members for this reason. There was a wonderful easter egg hunt on the grounds and entertainment for the kids. Wonderful time had by all! Thank you!

Reviewed April 16, 2017

Just came back the Grand Wailea for spring break. Family of 4 with two girls ages 16 &14. We had a great time. We stayed in the N'apua tower which is the concierge level of the hotel. Everyday we had breakfast, tea, snacks, dessert and there was soda and water available. Food at the hotel is expensive so we felt the added expense in advance was worth it. Sometimes you just ended up aggravated to pay $100 for breakfast and your kid has toast. Wi-fi at the hotel worked well except when on the beach. The hotel was full because of spring break so perhaps it was just overloaded by the time you got that far. We sat at the beach each day. My husband was usually out there by 7 am to get chairs. Which included an umbrella. The pool was packed and hard to get an umbrella. But you could certainly find a chair there if you were out early. The price of cabanas ($1200) and even just double lounge chairs ($300 per day) to reserve in advance was more than we wanted to pay. Additionally if you can only hold your chairs for 1 hour. So if you didn't stay once you set up they could remove your towels and make room for other guests. Which is fair. As you know in a big resort people set up camp and then leave for an excursion. There were paddle boards and kayaks for rent on the beach from a few different places. There was also a reef right off the beach where there were sea turtles. An added bonus We also used the spa at the hotel which is amazing. If you are over 16 you can also use the amenities like the baths, hot tubs, saunas. While there we did Bike It Maui tour of the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala. Amazing and so much fun. The biking seemed quite safe but definitely for kids over 12. Staff took alot of care to be sure everyone was safe on their bikes. We also did snorkeling with Kai Kanani. Great time sailing to the Molakeni crater and also a second location to see sea turtle. Lot of food and drinks and the staff was super friendly. While there we ate at Mama's Fish House, Monkeypod, Star Noodle, Tommy Bahama, Roy's and The Flatbread Company. Mama's and Roy's were the most expensive but so worth it!! The rest were more budget friendly and delicious!! We also went for ice cream a few nights at Lappert's at the Shops at Wailea. Delicious and walking distance from the hotel if you like. One last thing there was always clean towels: at the beach/pool and in our room. They never ran out! Grand Wailea is fun, busy and alot of people. Know that going into your stay and you will be happy.

1  Thank nj_family1998
GWExecutiveOffice, Director of Operations at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2017

Aloha nj_family1998,

Mahalo for your review and for spending your Spring Break with us at Grand Wailea! It sounds like you had a spectacular time and fit in a number of memorableexcursions during your vacation - an excellent way to see the entire island of Maui! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Napua Tower, our concierge level. Many of our guests enjoy Napua Tower for the exact reasons you stated - convenience and flexibility when everyone in your party wants to do something different. I appreciate your feedback and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed April 16, 2017

This was my first time staying at a waldorf astoria hotel and I had the best hilton brand experience till date. This resort has all the amenities needed for a extremely enjoyable and memorable stay. Kids had a ton of fun and the beach facing room upgrade was greatky appreciated.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed April 15, 2017

My family stayed at this beautiful property in early April. Our trip coincided with a large corporate group also staying at the resort. That company was allowed to put their signage, including many large flags (like you see outside used car lots to draw attention) and Popup Tents, all over the property. It was a real disappointment to see the wonderful grounds of this property turned into a giant billboard. Also, the group that size monopolized many of the amenities so that the other guests could not use them. I'm talking about mainly about the beach and pool chairs, as well as spots at the bar. If you didn't get out very early in the morning and "stake your claim" to a chair you were going to be out of luck. I spoke to a Manager about this, and he was very nice and said he was glad to hear my thoughts on this, and he even offered to comp some of my charges off the bill. That would have been great, if it had actually happened! Instead, when I checked out the bill was in full (no deductions) and that Manager "wasn't available" when I asked to speak to him again. The check out person basically said "sorry" and there was nothing that could be done.
My recommendation to anyone booking this property is to call ahead and see if a corporate group is also scheduled to be attending. If so, book somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2017
5  Thank Steve H

Aloha Steve H,

I appreciate your feedback, and I regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. Your feedback regarding your experience will help us to continue to improve our processes with future groups, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.