“Despite a rain out kids loved it”

The Grand Luau at Honua'ula
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted the #1 Best Luau in South Maui by the Maui News readers' poll, THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA is a must-see, rich, cultural experience! Located at the award-winning Grand Wailea Resort and Spa, this luxurious setting, just steps from the sea, is truly magical!"HONUA'ULA" means "Sacred Lands" and refers to the Grand Luau's physical setting which is surrounded by the rising slopes of Haleakala and the expansive azure blue of the Pacific Ocean. Gather with your friends and family for an event destined to become the highlight of your island visit. Join in a variety of ancient Hawaiian activities and games. Discover a unique treasure at our island handicraft market. Witness the unearthing of the kalua pig from the "imu", our traditional underground oven. Sip tasty tropical drinks from our premium open bar available throughout the evening. Savor our bountiful buffet of regional cuisine with a generous variety to please everyone's palate. Dine comfortably at our intimate tables while viewing the breathtaking sunset and the star-filled skies above. Enjoy our spectacular show as THE GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA brings to life the ancient stories,songs and dances of the Pacific islands. Feel the genuine touch of Aloha, under the palm trees,caressed by breezes. Experience the GRAND LUAU AT HONUA'ULA and celebrate the true magic of Maui!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

First off your risk is the elements; got a call around 2pm letting me know the event was moved to the grand ball room. Now most of the reason to do this is being outdoors on the beach at sunset; take all that away and now it’s a glorified 600 person wedding in a ball room but you can’t fault the hotel for the elements. Despite this, it was well organized get there around 345 if you have standard seating and you will get a table assignment as close to the stage as possible then you come back at 5 and your risk is what side of the table you are sitting on (back to the stage or facing). The pork was excellent and the show despite being indoors was excellent; my kids 5 and 7 loved it but more importantly they still did the fire show outdoors despite the rain. If you are vegetarian let them know ahead of time and they will prepare a plate beforehand. Also be aware there is no kids food at all despite being told by the concierge that there was macaroni and cheese or chicken fingers. The buffet line is for everyone and the kids need to find something on the buffet. It certainly would have been a better experience had we been outside but despite bad weather they tried their best to give us an authentic experience

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"front row"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

So as a family of 5 that is vegan it can be hard sometimes. But I called them in advance and emailed the correct person in charge of the kitchen to let them know what day we were coming to the Luau and they had 5 vegan meals which consisted of a green salad and fruit salad. Then we got potatoes, broccoli, tofu and rice for our entree. Then the chocolate cake dessert was amazing. It was so nice to enjoy the show and also have a meal that would work for us.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I booked the luau for our group of 10 from home on-line about a week and a half prior to leaving on vacation. Our son has life-threatening allergies to peanuts and tree-nuts so I was going from site to site looking for menu ingredient information. I even emailed two others prior to finding this luau at the Grand Wailea Resort. I was impressed first hand as they had posted on line the menu options with allergens identified. Because of this and since two other luau's failed to return my emails, I decided this was the luau for us. I booked on line and in the "notes" section declared my son's allergy. Within the hour of booking I received an email directing me to the allergy list on line and was told who to speak to upon arrival and was told that the buffet "captain" would walk me through the buffet prior to dinner service. We attended the luau on March 26/18. It was a scorcher of a day and at check in they already had a separate note identifying our table/my son with a nut allergy. I was also told that our server would check in directly with us upon seating. Our server Arnie was great! He greated us and then asked if we'd like a separate plate for our son to ensure no chance of cross-contamination. In addition to making it easier to navigate the buffet, it was less risk overall so we took him up on his offer. Immediately after our table went through the buffet line, our son's plate was brought to him. He had a variety of foods in gigantic proportions. The only suggestion I have for improvement here is that the menu list identified a lot more foods which would have been safe for our son than he was provided. Instead of huge portions of a few things, I would suggest a small amount of each item that was free of peanuts/tree nuts to provide the allergy guest with more variety/opportunity to try other foods. Even with this said, I did ask our server if it was possible to get one salad my son wasn't served even though was listed as safe on the allergy menu. He returned a short time later with a huge plate of salad and a beautifully presented cake that was safe for him to eat for dessert. We really appreciated the special attention provided and care taken to ensure our son's safety.
The food was really good too! We have been to a luau in the past and the food was mediocre so we were not expecting much. We were pleasantly surprised with how good the food was at this luau. We all really enjoyed the show...a couple performances mid-way were less exciting but the finally was super! Thanks for a fabulous night!

1  Thank Martina G
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Grand Luau at grand waliea resort was very nice. The setting was absolutely beautiful. The drinks were flowing and they were good
The food was good, and some things like the chicken, the pork(a bit salty) and the pineapple were excellent
The woman running the show was excellent and had a very nice mellow peaceful way about her. It was well run and the they had plenty of food. I would advise the vip seats as you can be far away if you are in the last row. The hula dancing lessons were fun
The show was nice, albeit a tiny bit slow, but the last 20 mins which was the fire portion was awesome and worth the price of admission

1  Thank NY2016