“Outstanding for Families”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Outstanding for Families”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We spent a week at the Kea Lani with our children last September, and liked it so much we booked to return this February. The rooms are ideally set up for a family, with a suite so that children can go to bed and adults don't have to turn out the lights at the same time. Children under 5 eat for free, which saves a lot in a hotel.
The service was always excellent, and the grounds, pools and beach were all fantastic.
There was construction going on at both times we were there, but this was not at all noticable from where we were.
We will definitely be going back. The only downside was that we left here to go to the JW Marriott on Oahu, which was a terrible let down from the Kea Lani!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Pekoe08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I really wanted to love this resort because Fairmont is well known for a great service and excellent accommodations, but this particular Fairmont resort in Maui is FAR AWAY from being a 5-star resort. I wouldn't even rate it as a 4-star, definitely a solid 3-star with nothing luxurious, average accommodations and service that needs a lot of improvement.

First of all, the resort is simply old, with run down amenities and poorly cleaned. I couldn't help but notice dirty mirrors all over the resort, dusty shelves, stained pillows in the lounge area and dirty silverware in the restaurant. After a while it became disgusting to know that Fairmont charges almost $800 + tax in January for an ocean suite during a full blown construction of a restaurant while guests have to carry disinfectant gels to wipe hands, silverware and everything else that comes in contact.

Check-in personnel always looked bored and unmotivated, rarely smiled and looked irritated if any guest would approach with a request of some kind. We traveled in a group of 6 and I spent quite some time in the lobby waiting for the entire group to gather up thus having plenty of opportunities to observe the behavior of front desk. Pretty disappointing for a resort that claims to be a 5-star property. Take a 10-minute stroll down the beach to the neighboring Four Seasons and get completely blown away by the most attentive, friendly and amazing customer service offered by Four Seasons not only to their guests but also to visitors who just stop by for a short visit. Next time I will definitely stay in Four Seasons and would highly recommend anyone to consider it over Fairmont.

Now moving on to the accommodations. Rooms are spacious with large bathrooms, no complaints here except that even ocean facing suite is so far away from the ocean that you will never hear even a distant sound of the ocean. Instead, most of the ocean suites are facing swimming pools so what you will hear late at night and early in the morning is a swim pool pump that either cleans the pools or pumps the water, I have no idea what this pump does but it is really irritating.

Taking a nap in your room during mid-day proved to be quite challenging because rooms appear to have super thin walls so you either hear screaming children by the pool or blasting TV in the room next door or a cleaning crew dragging chairs in the suite above you. The hotel is kid friendly so you will see and hear a lot of children 24 hours a day no matter where you are. I don't have problem with children and it didn't really bother me, but if you are a kind of person who like peace and quite or a honeymoon couple on a romantic getaway, don't expect anything romantic or peaceful at Fairmont. On the other hand, if you are a family traveling with children, Fairmont would be perfect as your child would most likely find tons of friends within 10 minutes of arrival.

Restaurants on the property are extremely overpriced and not delicious. Besides charging ridiculous prices expect to receive a poor, slow service. Ordering a small bowl of soup that they charge $18 arrived with a plastic spoon with an explanation that they "run out of regular clean spoons" so your $18 soup during dinner is served with a cheap plastic spoon. That happened twice during our stay. After second time noone ordered soup anymore because it is kind of ridiculous to come down all dressed up to a fancy restaurant for dinner and get plastic spoons.

Beach area was so-so and not really inviting or clean. I don't think they clean the beach daily, more like weekly. They have employees working on the beach who suppose to bring and install beach umbrellas if you order one. On one such occasion, the Fairmont employee brought an umbrella and while digging a hole in the sand to put the umbrella in, he was continuously either talking on his cell phone or spitting on the sand around the umbrella. All of this while we were standing, waiting and observing him spitting in the sand. I have no further comment about this.

In summary, I would personally never visit Fairmont ever again, at least not at this location and would seriously re-consider my future visits to any other Fairmont. Perhaps they were a great brand in the past, but over the years all of this have changed and they no longer can be called a 5-star property. So unless you are getting seriously discounted price to stay at this location and not paying more than $200/night, I would skip this resort all together and stay elsewhere. There is plenty of choices on Maui.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank kismika
TrudyPeterson, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your detailed review. I would like to start by apologizing for the unfavorable visit you recently had while staying with us. It is always regrettable when we fail to meet the needs and expectations of our valued guests, as our standard is to provide consistently exceptional service. It is clear we have fallen short and there is no excuse for some of the issues you had encountered. Please be assured that your concerns and comments are taken very serious and will be addressed with the appropriate resort leaders. I would like to invite you to contact our General Manager, Mr. Charles Head, to discuss this matter further if you would like 808.875.4100.
Heidelberg
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We spent 5 nights in the Fairmont in one of the lovely villas. The villas are very spacious with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and living-room inluding kitchen. Location is very quiet with excellent beach-view.
Although the hotel was fully booked the atmosphere was very relaxed and not all stressfull. Avoid breakfast if possible, since the 70 bucks for 2 are definitely not adaequate. Price-Level for the bars and restaurants is from over perspective overpriced (minumum 160US$ for dinner 2) but normal compared to other locations in Hawaii.
The dinner at Ko-restaurant was delicious and much better than Ferraro's or Duo at 4 season.
Overall a lovely experience and definitely higly recommended if you're perpared to spend the money.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rummedings
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We may as well have been in downtown L.A.

The rooms are beautiful, NO doubt. The Staff was adequate, but nothing to write home about. The "Fairmont" experience is supposed to include you hearing your 'name' a minimum of 3 times per day. I think we heard our name 3 times in 10 days. Service was not the best to say the least. Basic services were taken care of, no question, but fell far short of 'Fairmont' standards. Food on property was ridiculously expensive, and quality was questionable. I don't mind paying $50 for dinner, but please, give me a quality meal. And God FORBID you are a smoker!!! We booked our trip, and booked a smoking room. With ZERO warning, we arrived, only to find they had converted the ENTIRE property to NON-smoking. YAY for you non smokers, but please, we really are humans after all! The Fairmont has decided to allow 3 'smoking areas' on the 30+ Acre property. They have made sure they are about AS FAR from civilization as you can get! Do NOT try to sneak a smoke on your lanai...they have rooftop patrols! It is a 20 minute walk to get from your room to a designated smoking area. All in all...about 45 minutes round trip! I found a spot outdoors where I was away from the building (out by a road!), and was stopped by security and told I was breaking the LAW. WARNING...You must be 10 FEET from a Public area, not a MILE as the Fairmont would suggest. NEVER EVER EVER again, will we stay at Fairmont Kea Lani. I haven't even brought the renovations into play, as I know they will be over in the next year or two. I love the serenade of Jackhammers and Saws in the morning. (NOT!) Great rooms! But overpriced, over-rated, and WAY too many interruptions! Go elsewhere if you want peace and quiet!! Never again! I am MOST angered with the fact that we booked a smoking room, then to be treated as though we had leprocy, and had to walk 20 minutes. For you non smokers, you may celebrate, but think the other way around please. If you booked a non-smoking room, only to be told you had to walk 20 minutes to find your fresh air, you would not appreciate it either. NEVER, EVER again! Fairmont...SHAME on you. Absolute and Total irresponsibility in customer service. Don't let them down play the construction....it is INTRUSIVE!

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Chef_Miki
TrudyPeterson, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Aloha and thank you for giving us feedback about your recent stay. It is very disappointing to learn that we did not provide the wonderful experience for which we are known. As you noted, we recently converted all of our guestrooms to 100% non-smoking and arranged for several smoking areas on property in accordance with State law. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of this change and our lack of clear communication prior to your arrival. It is our goal to accommodate all our valued guests, both smokers and non-smokers alike. Again, please accept my sincere apology and know your feedback is important to us. Mahalo.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed February 2012, receiving nice leis on arrival. The hotel is not as large as the Orchid (thank God) and provided more personal and intimate service. Parking was free. The restaurant was excellent and the only one open due to renovation which we really did not hear noise or see problems. The beach boys were amazing. We did the outrigger canoe which was free and saw a whale breech and many other whales. An amazing time. We boogie boarded often, free and excellent. The pacific kayaking was amazing and cost $35.00 to $40.00 dollars for an hour. Snorkeling showed some fish, not a lot but enough. We did not try the paddle boards and brought our own snorkel equipment. Swimming and playing on the beach was safe and easy access. The sunset view was amazing. Our only complaint was that our room was over a banquet room with a wedding for two nights. We complained and they moved us and provided very generous compensation. The staff is very professional, helpful, courteous and I would go again. My favorite place I have ever stayed. We also stayed at the Fairmont Orchid which I felt did not compare. Exceptional service, gracious staff. This was a special time for a special occasion that I will always remember.

Room Tip: Ask not to be by the banquet rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drivebymama
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our 15th year staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani and we arrived with some degree of uncertainty about the remodeling going on. We found the hallways completely redone with thick new carpeting and new furnishings. The Kilohana suites had already been updated by our visit on the prior year as well as the three swimming pools with gorgeous new decking and padded chaise lounges and new cabanas. The project this year was the completion of construction of the new Ko restaurant adjacent to the adult pool and repainting of the exterior of the resort which we were told will be a two year project. And new elevators. While there was a very small and irregular amount of renovation noise the Ko construction project was hidden away behind a bamboo wall at the hotel end of the adult pool. We spent a number of days in a cabana at that pool and weren't bothered by the project in the least. There is no work being done on weekends and on week days the noise we heard was an occasional brief drilling. I'm sure it was much louder during the destruction phase tearing down the old facilities but at any rate they're ready to toss the keys to Ko for a soft opening in a few weeks so it's all good. I posted a separate review of Ko detailing what they've done with the new restaurant and it's spectacular - we were able to wrangle a tour from the restaurant staff of what's behind the wall.

Painting on the exterior wasn't any inconvenience. I've read some reviews complaining about elevators being out of service and we found only one of the main lobby elevators not working. The hotel did, however, make a service elevator just steps away available to guests so it was really not a bother.

What really stood out to both my wife and I on this, our 15th year at the hotel, was the staff. Now, normally the crew at the Kea Lani is among the friendliest we've ever known and a number of them have been there 20 years since the hotel opened which speaks well of the place but this year there was an extra bounce to their step wherever we went during the two weeks we stayed. From the bellmen to the front desk to the concierge to the pool attendants and waiters and maids - literally everyone we encountered over two weeks went out of their way and overboard in looking after us ... being pleasant ... calling us by name ... remembering details ... it was service on a par with the Four Seasons which they've always been close to but now they've hit it.

Perhaps it's great morale because of the investment Fairmont has made in the place and momentum has a way of carrying employees as well as customers but the crew here seemed as happy to see us as we were to see them whenever we interacted with them. Little things like stocking our favorite wine at the pool grill ... comping our cabana not once, but twice ... for no particular reason simply waving off our request for the tab with, "it's taken care of" and a smile. Over and over we had needs met before making them known.

I met the hotel general manager who was out in the lobby greeting arriving guests our last Saturday at the hotel. He came over to shake my hand and introduce himself. Kudos to Charles Head, G.M. Whatever he's doing at the Kea Lani has the staff in their sweet spot and it makes all the difference to the guests.

We're rebooking for year 16 this week.

Room Tip: Other than the Kilohana suites which overlook the beach directly and have a panoramic view of the pr...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CitationExcel
TrudyPeterson, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Aloha! I would like to say a very sincere thank you for your review. Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide and these types of compliments are highly valued. It is also very meaningful to hear such high praises coming from a loyal return guest like yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 16th visit next year and can’t wait for you to experience the new Kō restaurant.
Timmins, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just returned from 2 weeks at the hotel and LOVED it. The rooms are beautiful and big, bathrooms and balconies are WAY better than most. We loved the turn down service at night , fresh towels, shampoo etc. for the AM. The staff was great, from the valet to the cleaning ladies. The pools were beautiful as well as the beach. On site dining was great. Cant wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kari R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
43.2 km away
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
1.4 km away
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!