“Great Portuguese Food”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2015

We had lunch here and really enjoyed it. The Shrimp Mozambique was delicious, and had plenty of good-sized shrimp. Service was excellent (we were there early and nearly had the dining room to ourselves). Prices were very reasonable. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed October 12, 2015

I hosted a banquet for ninety people at Cotali Mar; it was my first time at the restaurant. We were greeted at the door by staff and ushered upstairs to the Grand Ballroom, a pleasant, light-filled room with multiple crystal chandeliers; a cash bar was on the landing just outside the door and rest rooms were conveniently located on this level. The room is really quite beautiful, and the dining rooms downstairs are equally enticing.

We started with Portuguese Kale Soup - an award-winning recipe at this restaurant. Soup was served family style with a large tureen for each round table. All enjoyed their soup. We offered a choice of sirloin steak, pork Alentejana, or chicken Madeira. All were expertly prepared and arrived at the table hot. Traditional chocolate roll for dessert, and with 90 passengers, I got many, many compliments. I was totally impressed with this restaurant. Soup to nuts - start to finish - I was completely satisfied and will come back again.

Enjoy!

Reviewed July 27, 2015

Food: I went simple and had the baked stuffed shrimp. Damn good, tasty stuffing and cooked right. Then, of course, I tried a little from everyone else. The shrimp with the balsamic reduction: perfect. Not overdone, not overwhelmed. That is an accomplishment. The garlic sauce in the appetizer was magnificent. The Batter on the fish and chips was light and airy and damn near perfect.
Service: We were a large, loud crowd. Our host was entertaining, helpful, funny, charming and catered to our every need. I feel awful that I can't remember his name.
Anna, our waitress was prompt, polite and quick to repair a mistaken order.
I'm curious about the less than stellar reviews I see here. I have to assume there are more uptight, anal, repressed d-bags in the world than I initially calculated.

Additionally, the $17.00 average for entrees is very reasonable for the amount and quality.

Thank you, Cotali Mar for your service and product. I will recommend highly and will return.

1  Thank Joseph D
Reviewed May 24, 2015

My wife was looking for a slightly up scale place to take four of us out on my birthday dinner. This was certainly not what she had expected. She was especially disappointed in the cheap paper napkins. To be fair, their prices are not upscale prices.

This was a weekday night in May with cold and rainy weather, so there was no option of eating outside. The only option available was eating in the bar surrounded by TV sets on all sides. What REALLY bothered me was that the TV nearest to us and furthest from the bar had the sound on. I believe they have a real dining room, but if they do, it was not open when we were there.

My wife had the calamari appetizer which was cooked well, but had no seasoning. I went for the flaming Chouriço à Bombeiro which is a single large sausage delivered to your table suspended over a burning plate. The material that was burning was likely a variation of sterno. The problem was that there was way too much of the flammable material and it just kept on burning and burning. The waitress tried to help by suggesting I stab the sausage and move it off to the plate underneath the burning plate. It took a few tries as I was not willing to burn my hand in the process, but I finally got it moved Then the waitress attempted to remove the still burning upper plate and nearly injured herself and had to put the plate down on the restaurant floor. I as then able to eat the sausage which by now was over cooked and dry.

For her entrée, my wife had a shrimp dish. She was happy with the taste, but was disappointed with the quantity of shrimp. She is not a big eater and it is highly unusual for her to complain about quantity.

I ordered a special which is not on the menu but apparently is offered quite often. Steak served on a hot stone. This turns out to be an extremely stupid idea. The stone is so hot that the steak keeps cooking for the next 20 minutes. I ordered it rare and then had to cut off a slice at a time to cook that slice to the desired doneness. There is no place to put the steak to stop it from cooking and the only place I could put part of a slice was in the corner of my separate vegetable plate.

With a significant amount of effort, I managed to get 80% of the meat eaten at an acceptable level of doneness, but the last 20% ended up overcooked.

For my last disappointment, I ordered the tiramisu for dessert. The waitress later came back to tell me that they were out of tiramisu. I also wanted decaf regular coffee but that is something they do not offer. I settled for decaf cappuccino.

All in all, the food is not bad and the service was mostly good.

3  Thank Dining_Ken
Reviewed March 18, 2015

I've heard so much about this place and had never been for dinner, just a bridal shower which was great, so I expected a great experience. I checked out the menu online ahead of time and had a couple picked out. We went the night before Valentine's Day and found they had a limited menu and had jacked up each meal by $3. I made a different selection and when I got it, the plate was hotter than the food. There were a lot of people, but still some open tables. We only saw our waitress once and though other tables had their water glasses filled, ours remained empty... and we drink water with our meals. Needless to say, we won't be back. Too many really great places around here.

1  Thank the5millers5