“What a difference from our last experience. :-(”
Review of Cotali Mar

Cotali Mar
Ranked #23 of 267 Restaurants in New Bedford
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2017

See my previous glowing post about our first time here. Our group had such a great experience we opted to return on a Friday night about a month later. It was such a disappointment, we are likely not going to return. Everyone ordered a different meal from the last time, and no one had a meal worth eating - except me, I ordered the steak on a stone which was what everyone else DID order on our last visit (except me!). Our waitress started out fine but became nearly invisible. Our service was awful, and the food ranged from mediocre (my steak on a stone and 4 other entrees) to inedible (one meal, hardly touched). The coffee we received after the meal was just plain terrible. 2 of us had Cappuccinos and they were fine. 3 decaf's and a regular coffee were worse than terrible. They smelled like burned rubber. A different waitress took them away and our waitress brought back 'freshly made' coffees, and it was the same thing. Smelled awful and were undrinkable. We got the bill and were adding a tip, but we noticed they added an automatic 20% tip... and did not tell us. So for terrible service we were forced to tip 20% to a less than attentive waitress. In hindsight, our previous bill for the 6 of us probably included the same 20% tip, but we were not told, didn't notice, and that waiter - although he was terrific - ended up with an outrageous tip for his efforts because we DID tip 20% on the total, which likely already included a 20% tip since that is their house policy. C'mon folks, at least TELL us that before we start!
After our 2nd experience, I don't see us returning there, even though we really loved the first time - the atmosphere, ambiance and service. Our weekly Friday night dining group of 6 is again on the hunt for another nice 'regular' dining experience to add to our list of favorite restaurants. This one has unfortunately been taken off the list.

Date of visit: February 2017
2  Thank Randtor

Reviewed January 14, 2017

Why didn't we know about this restaurant until recently?? We are 3 couples that frequently dine out Friday nights. We heard about Cotali Mar and decided to try it. The building looks really nice from the outside, there is a big parking lot behind the building and a nice rear entrance, walking through a courtyard that apparently is used for outside dining in the summer. We entered a nicely decorated hallway and were immediately greeted by the hostess who sat us (we had reservations for 6) promptly, The dining area ambiance suggested an upscale atmosphere but diners were casually dressed, as were we. Still, the gas fireplace, built in wine rack wall and high ceilings were impressive. Our waiter Rick greeted us right away and offered drinks while we looked over the menu. We chatted and took our time ordering, but never felt rushed or put upon. We thoroughly enjoyed his service throughout the night. He was personable, funny, not intrusive and his attention to detail was stellar.
A couple of garden salads, a couple of the Cotali Mar special salads and a Ceasar salad started the dining experience in the right direction, they were all well prepared and filling. 4 sirloin steaks (16 oz served on a hot stone) were out of this world delicious and you could continue their cooking to whatever you liked (they were delivered rare), from rare to well done right there at the table! One order of pecan encrusted salmon and an order of Carne D'Espito (Portuguese Shish Kabob) were absolutely mouth watering. One piece of birthday cake was delivered as a surprise for one of the ladies, with a candle and a song by the wait staff! The cake was lemon berry mascarpone, picked out by our waiter Rick, and was big enough to be shared by us all. It was so outstanding that a few of us agreed it was the best tasting cake ever!
Kudos to our waiter Rick, who was outstanding, and; any questions we asked of passing wait staff were answered with a friendly smile. Our experience here was 5 star all the way. We all left saying we would be back frequently, and highly recommend this restaurant to friends.
FYI:They do have an upstairs banquet room that is very nice, and cater to weddings and other functions.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Randtor
Reviewed January 8, 2017 via mobile

Food was delicious. Very nice variety of traditional Portuguese food and American cuisine. Beautiful atmosphere with top notch wait staff. Prices are fair considering portions and food quality. Will be back!

Date of visit: January 2017
2  Thank FoodieMelDHock
Reviewed December 7, 2016

I hosted a Birthday Party in their Wine Cellar and it was stellar. The food was amazing fresh and yummy. The service outstanding. I have also gone back to just enjoy the Restaurant and they did not disappoint. Again I travel from Boston to New Bedford for this outstanding dining experience.

Date of visit: November 2016
3  Thank Dolores N
Reviewed August 30, 2016

My dining companion and I visited Cotali Mar for lunch this past weekend. It's true there is no sign on the restaurant except for the door to their main entrance. Luckily, we had googled the address. There's a rather large municipal parking lot in the rear of the the restaurant so parking was not an issue. We were seated in one of the first floor, rear sections of the large two story restaurant. We ordered a cocktail and settled in with some Portuguese rolls and butter. The cocktails were fine and the rolls were fresh. I ordered the traditional Portuguese steak (something I always try on my first visit to a Portuguese restaurant) and my partner had the shrimp scampi. We both enjoyed our meals which were a traditional, family style preparation of both dishes. If you want a good meal with a home cooked Portuguese flair this restaurant will more than meet your expectations.

Date of visit: August 2016