“One of my favorites!”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Been here a few times and never disappointed. The staff and the food has always been excellent! I live on Cape Cod, but stop here when I'm in the area.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Stopped in with another couple after attending the Water Fires in Providence. The time was about 10:15 to 10:30 on a Saturday and we wanted to have a coffee, drink, expresso, and a desert to finish off the night with friends. We passed on having it in Providence to be closer to home and figured why no support are local establishments.

Upon arrival we noticed patrons seated outside enjoying the evening air while engaged in social conversations and enjoying a drink. Looked like just what we were looking for. We entered the establishment through the outside seating area eventually making our way into the bar area. We encountered a male, later realizing it was the owner, and ask if we could sit outside for a coffee, drink, and dessert. He responded with a standoff flat response, "The outside is closed." It wasn't a rude response but rather one that implied he was ready to close or was done dealing with customers. This should've of been a clue to us to leave, try another location up the road, and in the future to remain in Providence where the night life was welcoming.

We decided to over look his less then welcoming attitude and place an order of drinks and desert. Several coffee's, a couple drinks, while rounded off with a desert or two we sat at a table in the bar listening to the live music. The music was entertaining to say the least and made us laugh amongst each other. While waiting for the order at the bar the owner never once cracked a smile or had any warm comments to offer, but held a look of disgust frozen on his face. It almost felt as if he was waiting on the peasants, which should never be the attitude one has for any customer, rather than a valued one. He made a Cappuccino and instead of getting a spoon designed for the coffee when he noticed the spoons had run out at the bar, he grabbed a soup spoon and gave that instead. The spoon nearly couldn't be seen if you dropped it into the cup. He never was clear on how he was filling the order. I'd receive a couple things and not told anything else until I ask for one of the desserts. In a condescending response he tells me I'm all set. I explained I was waiting on the dessert and when he realized it wasn't brought out he told me to sit down and it would be brought out. It was the tone and facial expression of his response that spoke volumes. Basically he expressed himself in manner that he didn't want to deal with a group at this time of the night for a late night drink. He just wanted to close up and finish off the guests for the night.

Not a place I'd consider to round off your night after 10 o'clock. You may run into the owner who doesn't want to be bothered!

3  Thank AndradeFamily1
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to Cotali Mar for dinner and it was amazing. For our appetizers we got the crab cakes. They are not fried like other restaurants. The crab cakes were delicious and were not skimpy. We both got the steak on a stone for our meals, which was fantastic. The steak on the stone does not show on the menu but you can ask for it, and I would. Of course we got dessert and was not disappointed. We decided to go for a brownie like sundae and it was huge. It was a lot bigger than I expected. Even though we didn't finish the desserts, we enjoyed every moment. Our experience was amazing and would definitely recommend this restaurant. We plan to go again sometime soon and can't wait to have another awesome meal.

The price of our meal was expected for the quality and portion size.

2  Thank JFuhs
Reviewed 21 May 2017

We went for a late lunch. There was only 1 bartender on who also had to wait all the tables. She was running around like crazy. The food was tasty. I had the scrod Rockefeller and my husband had the fish & chips. Both fish were fresh and thick. Lots of good herbs on the Rockefeller, and nice thin batter on the fried fish. The fries were double dipped. The drinks were good. The bartender was very pleasant. The next 2 waitress that came on were very unprofessional.

2  Thank maxxie13
Reviewed 6 March 2017

See my previous glowing post about our first time here. Our group had such a great experience we opted to return on a Friday night about a month later. It was such a disappointment, we are likely not going to return. Everyone ordered a different meal from the last time, and no one had a meal worth eating - except me, I ordered the steak on a stone which was what everyone else DID order on our last visit (except me!). Our waitress started out fine but became nearly invisible. Our service was awful, and the food ranged from mediocre (my steak on a stone and 4 other entrees) to inedible (one meal, hardly touched). The coffee we received after the meal was just plain terrible. 2 of us had Cappuccinos and they were fine. 3 decaf's and a regular coffee were worse than terrible. They smelled like burned rubber. A different waitress took them away and our waitress brought back 'freshly made' coffees, and it was the same thing. Smelled awful and were undrinkable. We got the bill and were adding a tip, but we noticed they added an automatic 20% tip... and did not tell us. So for terrible service we were forced to tip 20% to a less than attentive waitress. In hindsight, our previous bill for the 6 of us probably included the same 20% tip, but we were not told, didn't notice, and that waiter - although he was terrific - ended up with an outrageous tip for his efforts because we DID tip 20% on the total, which likely already included a 20% tip since that is their house policy. C'mon folks, at least TELL us that before we start!
After our 2nd experience, I don't see us returning there, even though we really loved the first time - the atmosphere, ambiance and service. Our weekly Friday night dining group of 6 is again on the hunt for another nice 'regular' dining experience to add to our list of favorite restaurants. This one has unfortunately been taken off the list.

2  Thank Randtor