“Am I in Portugal ?”

Ranked #38 of 261 Restaurants in New Bedford
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed May 23, 2015

You don't have to go to the Azores, Brazil, or Portugal to get Portugeese home cooking. You'll
think your there when you start off in the small bar with a Portugeese beer and listen to the
dialects. Lots of local fishermen to keep you apprised of the fresh fish in the area.

Reviewed May 8, 2015

Organized a group visit here because I liked it so much once before. The quality and taste of the food was superb......but despite our efforts for Portuguese music rather than American country....we got nowhere. They did finally just turn it off...Really, that was all that was missing! Loved our waitress and had a very fun time dividing up several delicious servings of little necks in wine and much much garlic, flaming linguiça, mozambique style shrimp and then codfish entrees and even more seafood dishes!

Reviewed April 30, 2015

We were a group of four diners...two couples...old friends. A decision was made to bring our friends to Alianca, one of our favorite Portuguese restaurants in the Southcoast. It is a very reliable choice if good food is more important than charming atmosphere.
Two of us had Shrimp Mozambique which was wonderful; cooked perfectly, not at all over done. It was served with round hand cut fried potatoes and rice. While serving two starches is unusual in American kitchens, it is an integral part of Portuguese cuisine. The rice is especially delicious mixed with the Portuguese sauces which accompany most entrees. Another in our party had steak tips, a special of the evening, which were likewise served with handcut fries and rice. They were also much enjoyed. The one huge disappointment was an entree of fried Whiting served with boiled potato and a side of mixed greens. The fish looked and tasted awful: three curled up, grayish, boney little creatures. In fairness to the chef more questions regarding to the dish's presentation could have been asked before it was ordered. However, on another Alianca dining occasion a lovely grilled whole fish was ordered and it was terrific. We wrongly assumed that the Whiting would be as attractive and delicious, but it bore no resemblance to the delicious grilled whole fish.
In addition to the four entrees, our party started with cocktails, had a bottle and a half bottle of a nice Portuguese wine, two appetizers of yummy codfish cakes and steamed littleneck clams in garlic and olive oil, and shared a divine chocolate mousse. The bill, including tax and tip, was a reasonable $120.00. Our friends seemed to enjoy their dining experience and, despite the Whiting, we know that we will be back again soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2014

Been here 25-30 times. with friends, family, customers. Never had a bad meal. Great Portuguese Home Cooking. So reasonably priced. Went here recently with 8 people for dinner. 1 member of our party is Vegetarian. They bent over backwards to accommodate. We called ahead, our table was ready when we walked in. Very nice waitress.

Reviewed September 26, 2014

I had a terrific lunch and overall experience at Alianca's for lunch after fishing for stripers and tautog. I sat at the bar so I could experience the local "feel" of the neighborhood and ended up sitting next to the owner, one son was behind the bar and served me and, about midway through my lunch, the mother dropped off a Portuguese version of tiramisu. The rabbit special had just been finished, so I went with the redfish, grilled. Whole fish, several cuts made in the flesh, beautifully done! Two glasses of different Portuguese red wine, both excellent.
They do a terrific job with espresso coffee as I saw most people ordering it after lunch and witnessed it being prepared with a great looking machine at the bar. Mixing Bailey's Irish Cream was a popular way with the locals for sweetining the espresso without sugar.
I ordered the flan and espresso (ended up having 2 espressos).
I ended up meeting several of the locals seated near me, all fun, and very friendly people and stayed for 2 hours because it was such an enjoyable experience.
Alianca's has a number of lunch specials every day and a separate dining room if you prefer.
If you enjoy excellent food in a "mom and pop" restaurant with the feel of "the way it used to be", well then, this is a little slice of heaven waiting for you to show up. And when the check comes, you'll smile some more!