“I can't recommend...I wanted to like it”

The Landing Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Newport
Reviewed June 24, 2016 via mobile

So we were excited to try this place, so we went on Monday, June 20th to take a friend for her birthday. The location is awesome, on the back bay in Newport. The restaurant us in need of a major update, the decor is just terrible. We walked in and didn't see any staff for 10 minutes, other customers informed us the porch area was closed. We later found out the server had burnt her hand in the grill, so they were understandably helping her with that. The menu is primarily Italian with a separate seafood menu. While deceiving on food I had to kill a wasp in the dining room, also we noticed what appeared to be the chef/cook delivering food to some tables which would be fine, but her apron was filthy and she was wearing a tank top and short shorts. So one of us had the broiled scallops (she said they were very good), another had the coconut scallops (she hated, I gave her my crab cakes and I also found this dish to not work). The coconut shrimp or scallop is not served as breaded and fried but rather in a coconut run sauce and then topped with coconut. The sauce is good, but not with scallops. Finally another had the Tuscan pasta, which should have come with asparagus, sun dried tomato and shrimp. Apparently they were out of asparagus so they substituted green beans, totally not accepted. We pointed this out and were given 10% off that item, but it ruined the taste. We won't be back, but this could be a gold mine, the restaurant was busy, and with new decor, a water front deck and a new chef.

1  Thank CoryDKross

Reviewed June 24, 2016 via mobile

Ok...so this is a tale of 2 worlds...food was very good, service not so much. My friends and I came in from a fishing trip after getting caught out in the rain. We all wanted some Hot Coffee. It took a long time to bring our coffee and even longer for us to get something to stir the coffee. Waitress appeared to be disengaged with little to no regard for timely service. Next, we all ordered the crab bisque and it was superb. It tasted as if crab meat was hand picked an hour ago. My Aussie Burger was delicious. It had a good bun, fresh ground meat, and good flavor. My buddies Shrimp Basket came out with no cocktail sauce. When he requested it, the waitress told him when she gets a chance. He ended up eating all of his fries (not old bay fries as he ordered) and had to go to the kitchen himself to get cocktail sauce. So, altogether a mixed bag. If I had to grade, I would give it a 2.5. If I ever decide to patronage business again, then I would request a different waitress.

Reviewed April 17, 2016 via mobile

Crabcakes were very good. Salad sparse....just iceberg lettuce and a few diced tomatoes. Beautiful sunset. My husband had chicken pot pie, which he said was very good.

Reviewed March 23, 2016

Have been here 3 times with my car club but only for Breakfast, they feed you like its last meal, very good and lots of it.

Reviewed February 10, 2016

Great place to dine for a Sunday breakfast! Always a specials and price is reasonable. Staff is very friendly and a great view of the sunrise on the marsh