“Suprise! Delicious food, great service in Kaitaia”

Beachcomber Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Kaitaia
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2016 via mobile

I went to Beachcomer's with my family. The waitstaff were friendly and accommidating seeing that they were quite busy and we did not have reservations for our party of 6. We found their menu to be very comprehensive--including a wide selection of fish, beef, venison, chicken and vegetarian options. There were also options for children. I ordered venison which was the softest and most well prepared venison I've ever had. My sons had the children's steak and chips and they said it was excellent. My daughters shared the eye fillet and they said it was cooked to a perfect medium rare and was delicious. My husband had a dish which included both seafood and beef which he really enjoyed. All meals, including those for children came with salad from their salad bar, which was awesome. We had an excellent experience dining at the Beachcomer and will return again. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for a real lovely evening out in Kaitaia!

There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Restaurant

Reviewed 2 February 2016

The menu is varied and extensive, and there is at least one dish that would be easily made vegan friendly, (and there was a great bean salad in the salad bar, to round out your plant protein...). The meals we had were delicious. For us, one HUGE plus was the quiet atmosphere. Good music played low and unobtrusive, and unlike so many modern cafes and resturants, this one had excellent sound damping, with carpet underfoot, and fabric on the ceiling. Our guess is that even full this resturant would be a peaceful and pleasant place to dine. Staff were very helpful and friendly. I loved finding this place in Kaitaia, and other towns and city's would be doing well to follow their example. Oh, and the decor was gorgeous.

Reviewed 29 January 2016

Although a fairly large town, Kataia is more a farming village than a tourist destination. For this reason it was a surprise to find an establishment such as the Beachcomber. From the moment you enter there is a special feel; it is obvious that someone really cares about this business. The friendly greeting merely accentuates this feel. The menu is varied and well coordinated. The entrees are imaginative and use local produce. The mains are both attractive and delicious, be warned they are quite filling. The “ship to shore” is particularly imaginative. All in all this place is a great for a pleasant evening meal.

Reviewed 25 January 2016

We ate both nights at this restaurant during a recent stopover on the way to Cape Reinga. The menu selection was good and the quality of food and service great. The surrounds were very pleasant with a subtle beachcomber theme. Particularly surprising was the availability of Czech beer "Budvar"! Along with the usual favourites

Reviewed 18 January 2016

You couldn't fault this restaurant, food was excellent, extensive menu, great selection of drinks and all staff were very friendly and efficient. I certainly will be back. A must to try if in the far north.