All reviewsski hirepacked lunchawesome viewsbunk bedsenjoyed my staytwo nightstongariro national parktaranaki fallsfantastic locationwingsspabackpackerscabinaccommodationhikesnowskiing
Reviewed July 16, 2015

I am sure the rooms in the main building are fine as haven't read anything to the contrary but the Chalets are disgusting. They are described as older style on the website which is absolutely fine, I don't care about decor but I do care about health and safety. As soon as we walked in we were hit by a 'urine' smell. The carpet is threadbare, the paint peeling everywhere, hole in the bathroom floor, broken glass taped up on toilet door, worst bed I have ever slept on, one small oil filled heater and a wall panel heater did not keep the room warm in the sub zero temperatures, we wore thermals to bed. Only one side of electric blanket on double bed worked. 3 hot water bottles for the bunks but only two with plugs. The bunksets are unsafe with no railing or safety-bar. We ate dinner in the restaurant, kids buffet was awful, our meals were average and definately not worth what we paid - so disappointing as had read great reviews. Eat at the Tussock Tavern opp. the Chateau - it was fantastic. I would also pay an extra $30 per night at stay at the Chateau Motel Units - far far superior. We weren't asked at check out anything about our stay, I would have told them but just couldn't be bothered by that stage. After the first night we were prepared to stay somewhere else and forgo our 2nd night charge but unfortunately everywhere else booked out.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2015 via mobile

We stayed in the superior room with bunkset for four nights while we went to the nearby snowfield. The room was basic but excellent value for money. The waitresses in the restaurant were the best part of Skotel - they were fun, friendly and great at their job. The meals were generous in size and reasonably priced. Downstairs is a ski hire shop and I would recommend you hire from them rather than at the mountain - they were very helpful! We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2015

Clean room, friendly staff, homey ambiance: a traveller's delight. A panoramic view of the mountains that is relaxing and breath-taking. Food is not a problem. You can go o their restaurant or cook your meal in their fully functional guest kitchen. I really enjoyed my stay. Definitely recommendable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west wing has a great vista.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2015

Our group stayed in the backpacker's rooms, and all 10+ of us loved it! Absolutely PRIMO location! Cozy, clean, quiet! The kitchen is small but functional, the showers were hot and the sauna fabulous! Some of the mattresses were far too soft (it's like you are laying in a hammock) but the bunks were firm. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2015

I very much enjoyed my stay. The staff were absolutely lovely, helpful and professional. The room was clean, warm and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant had good food that was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo