New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Fox Glacier Guiding
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Fox Glacier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: It's our privilege to guide you on the West Coast's largest and less crowded glacier. It is one of New Zealand's truly natural wonders. Whether you are walking, heli-hiking or ice-climbing with us in this incredible environment, we can promise you a memory you'll cherish. We have a long guiding history on the glacier (guided walks first started in 1928). Those years of accumulated knowledge and experience mean weare able to guide you with complete confidence. You can rest assured we take your safety and comfort very seriously. Come and enjoy our friendly West Coast hospitality, experience the mighty Fox Glacier with us and create a lifetime memory. We have glacier trips suitable for most fitness levels and ages including children from 9 yrs. Our informative Glacier Terminal Face walk is suitable for children from 5 yrs or for those who would find the walks onto the glacier too strenuous.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Salt Lake City, Utah
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Leary at first - most enjoyable part of trip! Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

When my husband suggested we do this on our honeymoon, I was leary - it turned out to be the best part of the trip! Lots of fun, beautiful, great guides and a once in a lifetime experience. I was suprised at how easy the glacier was to navigate with the clamps on, and how comfortable I felt - I even decended into an ice cave! Had a great time, would highly suggest this tour. We took a half day tour - and I actually think the all day would have been just fine. If I ever go to New Zealand again, I'll make sure this is on the list of must do's!

Visited December 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great adventure - friendly and knowledgable guides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We decided at the last minute to sign up for the half day glacier hike and are so glad we did. We have never hiked on a glacier, although we have seen them from a distance before. Our guides (both named Sam) were very friendly and shared a lot of information about the area. They fully outfitted us with big wool socks, sturdy mountaniering boots, fleeces and rain jackets if you did not have your own, crampons and hiking sticks. The footgear was particularly nice because then my own things did not get wet! A great up close and personal adventure on a glacier!

Visited February 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Breathtaking - well worth a go!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I spent a bit extra to do a Heli Hike up the glacier and it was well worth it! The weather had been horrendous for 2 days and the staff had been lovely re booking me everytime and they even came looking for me on the last one to tell me there was a break in the weather and it was going ahead! YAAAAY!!!

the trip was great the helicopter ride was exhilarating over the water fall and down onto the glacier!
our guide was great and really knew his stuff! The time up on the glacier went so quick and we went through ice tunnels and caves
IT WAS FAB!!!!

Visited October 2011
San Diego, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We went on a helihike trip and had a fantastic time. Our guide (Zara) was knowledgeable, enthusiastic and entertaining. Highly recommended trip.

Visited March 2012
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Half Day Glacier Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Luckily we choose half day glacier tour... We have nice glacier walk which guided by two pretty tour guide. Lots of fun!! :)

Visited October 2011