“A very polished venue”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

This is a cracking place for a special meal, either family or as a couple. Great rural setting, full of charm. Cosy and intimate, the place filled up quickly but this didn’t effect the great service. I ordered the scallops, followed by the fillet. All mains come with plentiful and well cooked sides but the star was the fillet. It was cooked perfectly, and was melt in the mouth. Every once else loved theirs too. My mum loved the duck, and the sauce. My only complaint is I was too full to try one of their lovely sounding desserts. This place is a credit to Cawthorne - we will definitely be back.

Thanks for a great night

Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

Second time at restaurant & enjoyed very much. Good food, good service, good wine, at reasonable prices. Really enjoyed it, will return.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

If your considering a small wedding or private function then the upstairs room at Beatson House is definitely worth a visit.
The staff are attentive but not intrusive and the food, which we agreed in advance, was of excellent quality, presentation and good value for money. The organisation of our wedding lunch was second to none with no detail overlooked. We met with Nikki before the event and she was able to offer us ideas on the menu, wines and decoration of the room which we found very helpful.
Nikki and Margaret did an excellent job at “front of house” and the chef, Lee Haig excelled himself with our menu. The upstairs venue seats 12 comfortably and the superb decoration of the room reflected the occasion. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Beatson House.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

Firstly I have been to this restaurant on many occasions over the years and the food is generally very good

However last night was dissaponting...we were with Family for a special occasion and my meal in particular left a lot to be desired. My starter was the smoked chicken this was a cold salad but boy was it cold it had clearly been pre prepared and held in the fridge
The big dissapontment was the Monkfish, this I think was overcooked. My knike struggled to cut through the fish to the point that it nearly ended up on my wifes plate
this was on wilted spinach and something that can only be described as tomato snot
I left it barely touched....had the cheese and biscuits as I was still hungry
Should have complained on the night but did not due to it being a special occasion.
If you are visiting soon and Fish is on the menu STAY CLEAR the Chef does not know how to cook it!

Nikki C, Owner at Beatson House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

We are sorry to hear of your experience, we welcome feedback but we can't fix a problem if we are not made aware of it. If you had raised the matter on the night we would have replaced the meal without hesitation and cost. We pride ourselves on offering the highest standard of fine dining and service as is possible for an affordable price.

We can assure you our chef's cook dozens of fish dishes every week without complaint as is reflected in our overall reviews.

Please contact me directly at nikki@beatsonhouse.co.uk to discuss how we can make amends

Reviewed October 2, 2018

We were very fortunate to get a table for Sunday lunch at the last minute. The welcome was warm with all staff smiling as we were taken to our table. Sunday lunch menu had excellent choices though we were surprised that several choices involved a supplement, especially the fish. Service was a bit patchy with several attempts to get one of our glasses of wine, but overall all was well and the food was lovely. We liked the choice of beef courses ( traditional cooked through or medium rare). Yorkshire pudding excellent. We will certainly return.