“They don't feel the need to change sheets between guests”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I had this problem once before when I stayed at a Holiday Inn property, took pictures, and even contacted their corporate. I had stayed at the same other hotel two different times, and each time it was blatantly evident that the bed had been slept in when we checked in. There were person-shaped wrinkled areas on the bottom sheets, and they were soiled. I took pictures, but corporate defended their policy of not changing sheets except between guests, and blew me off. I never had this experience at any other hotel, but on a trip chose to try another Holiday Inn Express because it was convenient. The first room we were given was obviously not cleaned or changed since the last guest, as the sheets were a mess, the toilet paper torn off, the toilet seat up, and linens with stains. ,they gave another room, but it was essentially the same. They tried a floor higher, in what must be their best room, and it looked a bit better. We stayed, but soon discovered the sheets and pillowcases were dingy and stained, there were M & Ms on the floor, and a used towel was slung over the shower rod. In one of the other rooms, the bedside alarm clock was plugged in across the room on the tiny table provided. It was awful. Their hot breakfast featured what I can only guess was powdered eggs, as they bore no taste resemblance to any real eggs I have ever had. They had no "real" tea, just weirdly flavored decaffeinated tea bags. When shown all the pictures of all the problems in all the rooms, the personnel simply insisted that the head of housekeeping personally inspects every room. I suspect that the corporate policy of not changing bed linens except between guests gets easily abused and confused, especially if the poorly trained housekeeping staff has a problem with English, or they are not promptly I formed when guests leave and come. At any rate, I will never stay at any Holiday Inn property again. My husband and I both woke up with suspicious bites on our lower legs. Tampa on Bruce B. Downs Holiday Inn Express is the only exception-- they are great. Stay at the one in Macon at your own risk. I had photos, but it wouldn't let me upload them on my iPad to this page.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janels
Shobha31206, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Thank You for taking the time to submit a review for out hotel. We have undergone a change in management recently, and I am greatly concerned about the problems you encountered during your stay. We are striving to get our hotel as perfect as we can, and your review brought into light some drastic changes that need to be adressed. We will take all your comments to heart and hope that the next time you are in Macon, we can at least show you that changes have been made.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel in June on our way from FL to OH. The hotel was very very clean, very up to date, and quiet. There is a nice saltwater pool in the back (outdoor) and delicious cookies as soon as you enter the hotel. Breakfasts at Holiday Inns are great, complete with their automatic pancake maker, which our family loves. This hotel is in a nice quiet setting, but has many restaurants and shopping options close by. It was a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Had an early issue with the front desk. Please note that this is only my second negative review of any hotel. The only other complaint was at a $400 plus a night hotel in the Carribean where we spent a night with a broken a/c.

The front desk attendant that I dealt with was exceptionally rude and while I only mentioned a conversation I had with her concerning a reservation, she wanted to argue.
Our room had stains in three chairs and we saw two bugs.

I will let you use your discretion as to whether or not this is where you would like to stay. Everyone except the maids and the people that prepared breakfast were not friendly. The complimentary breakfast was in keeping with other properties that offer it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JPritchett
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Nice hotel. It was not very busy the night we were there so we had the place to ourselves! Sat by the pool for breakfast and enjoyed the quiet. It's far enough off the by-pass to be quiet. Lots of places to eat nearby.

Sleep quality must have been good as I shut off the alarm and woke up an hour later! Woke rested!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed 1 night on our way home from Florida. Newly renovated and very clean. Right off the interstate near a mall and several fast food joints.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2010

As mentioned earlier by another traveler they have a strange deposit necessary if you want to pay cash for your stay upon check-in. Very strange/suspicious. The hotel is now 2 years old and appears in good condition, however they apparently need to do a better job with pest control. While relaxing in our room after dinner, my daughter's friend jumped from the other bed and screamed when she saw a bug in the bed. I puled back the pillows and saw a HUGE insect of some kind (cockroach?). I immediately went to the front desk to let them know we had a problem. The clerk kept repeating "It was in the bed?!?"...yes, it was in the bed. She said "oh, must be a water bug" She apologized and moved us to a larger room and took $10 off our nightly rate (big deal!). She went on to say, "we spray for them, but there isn't much else we can do" Needless to say the experience left us with a bad impression of the place even tho it is still relatively new. Bugs in the beds=deal breaker. Stay away!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Colleagues and I have frequent travel throughout Georgia and have stayed at multiple Holiday Inn Express hotels. It was quite disappointing to have booked a two-wk. stay at the Harrison Road, Macon Holiday Inn Express location. The hotel is new, neat, clean and the rooms were average. The service however, was substandard! There was confusion with the billing process, and most, if not all of the staff were very unfriendly and showed no appreciation for the business, Of greatest concern, they didn't seem to care. When asked how my stay was and I responded that I didn't find the staff friendly, there was no response! Seperatly, my colleagues and I complained to the manager and she did not apologize and did not ask us for details so to make an effort to correct it. The entire staff need an extend course on hospitality and customer service!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business