“Not Up To Hampton Inn Standards”

Hampton Inn Salt Lake City Central
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
California
“Not Up To Hampton Inn Standards”
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I normally choose to stay in a Hampton Inn when I travel because I am almost always happy with this chain of hotels however this hotel was an exception. The bathroom was in need of some repair, the shower rod falling off the wall and the faucet handle nearly coming apart in my hands.
I requested a non-smoking room but the smell of cigarette smoke was quite strong in the hallways. The Hi-Speed internet was so slow should have been called low-crawl internet. When I complained to the front desk they told me because they were full up the speed was affected.
On the positive the bed was comfortable and the room quiet.
Next time I will find a different hotel in Salt Lake

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
FenwicK Island, DE
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My husband and I try to stay at Hampton Inns whenever we can when we are one the road. We stayed here 10/26/09 on our way back east during our cross country trip. This was one of the nicer ones in the chain. We had planned on staying 2 nights but when we arrived, we found out a snow storm was coming so we left the next morning. Great rate due to travel pamphlet coupon we picked up at the Tourist Info Office.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oclola
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This Hampton has a more boxy layout that most and lacks the serene appeal of many Hampton Inns. It is also at the very busy intersection on the SW side of metro SLC with a congested coffee shop parking lot adjacent. Do not get a ground floor room for this reason. Also, the Hampton directory lists this property as having airport shuttle service. That really means there is an airport shuttle available through a 3rd party for added cost. Actually easier just to take a taxi. A better deal, if you are catching a flight, is the Hampton Inn Airport, which does has a dedicated free shuttle and is in a more peaceful setting. Finally, the word "central" is misleading. It is several miles to downtown and a better choice is the Hampton Inn downtown if you are visiting the city.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Ken P
Baltimore
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I usually stay at Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, or Homewood Suites because they offer good service. I pretty much got what I expected. I have nothing bad or spectacular to say about this hotel but do recommend it.

• Liked — It was in the Rockies.
  • Disliked — Pool was too Chlorinated
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TriRunnerCF
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed at this hotel in June for a retreat we were attending. My husband and I came in on Thursday and our children joined us on Saturday. We found Danielle to be so helpful when we checked in to a room that was in a smoking section of the hotel. She moved us immediately with no problem. She also helped us book our second room for our children who were joining us for our wedding.
The rooms were comfortable, beds comfy and a microwave and a fridge available, so we were able to have some food in our room.
Jacob was at check out and very nice, but went beyond the call of duty when I called 2 1/2 hours down the road (surprisingly got phone service) and explained that I had left the marriage license in the cabinet above the microwave and my concern that it would be thrown away. He placed me on hold and went up to the room and found the envelope on its way to the trash can. Rescuing it, he sent it to my home where it was received a few days later. Thanks Jacob!
Once we figured out the SLC is laid out on a grid, it was much easier to get around and we found the room to be not noisy at all.
We thought the breakfast was very basic, sugary and didn't eat but one morning there, which was fine since we tend to be more organic or natural diners.

• Liked — the guest service
  • Disliked — the smoke area on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Bainbridge Island WA
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Slightly above average Hampton. Clean rooms, nice front desk people and the usual Hampton Breakfast. Contrary to the name of the place, it is not "Central" (unless they are referring the somewhere 8 miles south of down town next to a freeway interchange)

Not much of a business center, but there is a desk in the lobby with a computer and printer that work.

Stayed October 2007
California
Reviewed 25 July 2007

Our family was on a 2 week road trip and we stayed 1 night in Salt Lake City. I selected this hotel because of the reviews on tripadvisor. It is far enough out of downtown to not be in the bad areas, it is in an industrial looking area....not much to look at outside around the hotel, but not a bad area. The service was great, the breakfast was very good. But the thing my family remembers the most is the beds, they were awesome. The room was average size, very clean and modern. Free wifi was a must for us and they have it along with a computer and printer in the lobby for your use. Would stay there again.

• Liked — The beds
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family