“Good Meal”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

We popped in to get out of the rain. Food was average for a chain restaurant. Service was very good. I had fish tacos and my wife had chicken flatbread. Both were good.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 15, 2018

Although we rarely frequent chains when we travel, my husband and I have always enjoyed California Pizza Kitchen. We don’t have this chain at home, and think of it as a place to get a quality meal with no surprises. Our visit to the CPK in the Gateway was good enough to come back a second time, but was clearly lacking compared to the stores we have frequented in California and other locations. On our first visit, we ordered a bowl of Sedona Tortilla Soup (“Vine-ripened tomatoes, tomatillos and corn with mild green chilies, Southwestern spices and crispy tortillas”) and the Tostada Pizza (“Crisp lettuce, tortilla strips and housemade herb ranch top this hearth-baked crust with layers of black beans, melted Cheddar & Monterey Jack. Served with flame-roasted salsa.”) The soup and pizza were just fine, but I was brought a cup of soup rather than a bowl. When our server came back I noted this and he agreed that I had ordered a bowl but was brought a cup; I was actually fine with that (I had a slice of my husband’s pizza and a bowl would have been too big) until I received the bill and saw that the server who had confirmed I was brought a cup charged me for a bowl … this was easily corrected but that and the difficulty we had getting iced teas had me less than thrilled with the service. A few days later, as I had a dinner engagement in the Gateway but wanted to hang out with my husband while he ate dinner, we came for our second visit. On this night he ordered the Original BBQ Chicken Pizza (“Our legendary BBQ sauce, smoked Gouda, red onions and fresh cilantro transform this original to iconic”) and a Caesar Salad. Both were tasty, but from the time we were seated and the time we paid was about 29 minutes. Way too fast for a relaxing dinner and more along the lines of a food court meal, but at higher prices. I think that contributes to what just felt off about both visits – little attention to detail from the serving staff, and the inclination to turn over the tables as fast as possible. Which was odd, given that the first night we were the only people in the restaurant and on the second visit there were only a couple of other tables occupied. While our food was fine on both visits, I think the team needs a refresher on the customer experience to get this place on track.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

Early on a Sunday evening, my husband and I walked in and asked for a table for two. Although the dining room was about half empty and the row of tables-for-two was completely vacant, the host sat us at the table directly across from the restrooms. After no one came by for about 10 minutes, and people who were seated after us placed their orders and received bread with a saucer of dipping oil, my husband went back to the front desk to complain. After a few more minutes, a server came by, apologized, brought a plate of crusty bread, and took our drinks’ and food order. We shared a half Caesar salad and pizza — the club for him and basic barbecue chicken for me. As expected, the food was very good. After paying with a credit card, another server came by to validate our garage parking ticket.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 4, 2018

Its just what you would expect from a chain. It was good food and no surprises. I'd go back. I had aPepperoni pizza and my wife had Lettuce Wrap, Shrimp.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I get having a server that is new, but when your frosted glass for your beer comes unfrosted and only after you’ve reminded them that you ordered a beer, hmmmm. Our appetizer came out quickly but we had to ask for silverware and napkins. Pretty sure our meal sat for a while before it was brought out. Worst Caesar salad, hardly any dressing and the dressing had absolutely no flavor, literally a few parmesan shavings and 5 croutons! The fish tacos were good, appetizer good but the server seriously only checked on us ONCE after he took our order. We had to ask for water, ask for the check, etc. Not their best showing, has been better

Date of visit: April 2018