“Quite good for a quick stop”

Fried Rice Express Gourmet
Ranked #714 of 1,575 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Reviewed November 25, 2016

This is a decent alternative to the usual burger/fries fast food places.
Their chicken noodle dish had a very nice flavor & decent amount of chicken & veggies. I ordered the "crispy" noodle, but didn't anticipate that it was literally the hard chow mein noodles I normally use as a topping. (I should have asked) It was, however, still very good and wouldn't hesitate ordering again. The chicken fried rice was okay, a bit bland and not as many veggies as one would expect. A little soy sauce perked it up.
Staff was pleasant enough.

Reviewed August 16, 2016

We found this place last year after a visit to the Hunstman Cancer Institute. We like everything we have tried and the staff is always friendly. They offer a military discount as well. My favorite is the noodles and sesame chicken.
This became my go-to place after every visit at The Hunstman.

Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

New Chinese fast food take out place. It has a lot of similar items as Panda Express. The food was hot and tasted fresh not frozen. Decent pricing and portions maybe a alternative to Panda

Reviewed July 20, 2015

new to SLC and was looking for some chinese take out-this place is like a panda express but fresh made to order instead of being out in trays. like a pick up stix or pei wei if you are familiar with those. i have had the sesame chicken, general tsao chicken were both very good. orange chicken was ok. the have bacon fried rice which was great. will be a go to cheap eats place for me.

Reviewed May 27, 2015

I went for lunch about 11 AM on 27 May 2015. This is an order at the window, pay, get a number plaque, go get napkins and utensils and a drink if ordered, then sit down and wait for the food to come.

First, the gal at the window (also the server) was very personable, I would put her at a 5 for this type of place.

They had a Wednesday special of Mushroom Chicken, Regular Fried Rice, and a drink (standard cheap soda fountain machine) for $6.99 as I recall (normal meal without drink is $7.29) which sounded good even if I did not want the corn syrup.

First, the rice. For a place called “Fried Rice Express Gourmet” I would expect something more than a standard cheap fried rice that comes with almost every American Chinese combo meal. The mental picture gathered from the menu and implied on the video screen was about 10X the quality of what I actually got. The video showed a picture of what looks like short grain rice which is better tasting than the American long grain rice used. The menu showed a plate of rice with a lot of egg, veggies, and what looked like meat. Not what I got. That started off the food at a 2, 3 for average and -1 for advertising. I know of other places that do a much better job for specialty fried rice at about the same effective cost ($5.29 for the rice alone).

Second, the Mushroom Chicken. This was not bad, it was tasty and worth a 4 just on that. The bad – 1. The mushrooms were not Asian but standard American white mushrooms. 2. The picture shows either carrot strips or orange bell pepper strips, but all that was there were mushrooms, chicken, and zucchini. I did like what I had so I am leaving it at a 4 since they are in America.

Environment. Not much to say, average, table and chairs (mostly seat four) cafeteria look, clean, but the low volume 'modern' music was a bit hard to put up with for this older boy. Utensils are plastic and the paper napkins are definitely environmentally correct low quality. Over all an average place at a 3.

This was an impulse stop since I like various types of better quality fried rice and I was at a store across the street, so based on what I got on the rice side I would not stop by again. If I was driving by and wanted something quick and rice was not the focus, then I would consider stopping in and trying a normal plate and not the special to see what they could do.

I would place the value at below average, most sit-down Chinese restaurants have a better combo plate with more options for a lesser price. Based on just two items I averaged the food to a 3. The service was excellent, no complaints for that type of the place.

Looking at the store logo, I wonder if they are a Panda Express spin-off.......