“Clean and an Excellent Location”

Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This hotel is on our company's list of preferred-rate properties. It is in an excellent location, directly across from the Salt Palace Convention Center and the Utah Museum of Contemporary Art. Temple Square is a block away and the new City Creek shopping complex, which opens March 22, is adjacent to the hotel. It is also only about 15-20 minutes to the airport.

The staff is very friendly and my check-in took less than two minutes. My room on the 12th floor had incredible mountain views in both directions. It was exceedingly clean, had two double beds (though I requested a king), a comfortable work station, a flat screen TV (standard now in most hotels), and plenty of closet space. The bathroom was small, but again, very clean. The bed, while comfortable, should have its mattress turned occasionally. I was asleep in the “rut” where people get into and out of the bed.

I only had breakfast one of the four mornings of my stay and it was a typical Marriott brunch, tasty with many selections and really good orange juice, though pricey at about $20. I noticed the restaurant closed before 2 p.m., which I thought was too early, since I would like to have had lunch there the day I arrived. There is a Starbucks off the lobby, with a gracious staff including one barista who gave me two free packets of the “blonde” coffee when I remarked how much I enjoyed it. There is also a small bar and plenty of places to sit throughout the lobby, though the most popular seats were around the warm and inviting gas fireplace.

The small gym was well-equipped with three elliptical machines, two stationary bikes and four treadmills. The hotel provides headphones for the cardio-theater screens and there are plenty of small towels and a water cooler in the room. There is a separate weight room and a small indoor pool that is not attended by a lifeguard.

With plenty of below-ground parking, self or valet, and the Marriott’s location, it's easy to walk around the city or get to the interstates and ski resorts.

My one major beef with Marriott is the charge for Internet service. I can stay at a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn, both lower-end (though still nice) properties that are part of Marriott, and not pay for Internet, yet I must pay for it at a Marriott or Ritz Carlton. I bring an air card instead and the service is usually better than Marriott’s iBahn anyway.

There are many restaurants within a short walk of the hotel, including a top-notch sushi/Japanese bistro called “Naked Fish” right across the street. Two steakhouses, one in the Hilton and a Ruth’s Chris, are within three or four blocks. An additional two or three blocks farther and you have your choice of a brewpub, P.F. Chang’s, Italian fare, and others, including one of the best gelato shops outside of Italy – Capo Gelateria. The Joseph Smith Building, owned by the LDS Church, is around the corner and has a small cafe on the first floor and a rooftop buffet restaurant. You can walk anywhere and feel safe.

This is a convenient, above-standard hotel to which I would return on future visits.

Room Tip: The even number rooms face the mountains. The odd number rooms face Temple Square but there are bui...
There are newer reviews for Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here when we had some business at the Convention Center. This was an excellent location as it was right next to the convention center. The bed was very comfortable and the room was inviting and it provided the necessary room to work in and to relax. We used the restaurant for breakfast and it was typical Marriott fare, very good and very reliable. We did not have a car and the staff suggested we use the airport express for $8, this turned out to be an excellent suggestion. All in all, it was standard Marriott service and comfort

Reviewed 23 February 2012

The hotel is across the street from the Convention Center, attached to Nordstrom, Temple Square is a block away and the shopping center is nearby. The hotel has lots going for it.

Positives:
- the bed was so comfortable
- pillows were just right for me (feathers and not too high)
- big flat-screen TV
- excellent desk for working, with an appropriate chair (Hooray)
- excellent housekeeping - room and bathroom was extremely clean
- room has small fridge
- free coffee (but not outstanding quality)

Negatives:
- $13 per day for internet
- no safe in room, although safety deposit box available at the front desk
- limited ability to adjust in-room temperature, but was generally in comfortable range)

Room Tip: If you don't mind a view of the roof at chest height and half-height windows, you should be able...
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent a night in SLC, before heading to the Park City area for skiing. The Marriott was a great deal. We booked our room online at a significant discount, so we did not have high expectations. The hotel was clean, large and had all the amenities that we needed. We had breakfast in the lobby restaurant and it was excellent. We requested a roll away bed upon arrival and it was in our room when we got back from dinner. The location it perfect for walking around and finding either a small.local restaurant or one of the nearby large chains. Again, we spent the night at a very affordable rate during the President's week holiday, so this was a great deal all around. The drive to Park City was 30 minutes on the highway.

Room Tip: If you have kids, be sure to ask for double beds and a roll away.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed here on business and arrived late. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was spotless and had all the facilities I needed. The breakfast buffet was superb as were the business centre facilities. The hotel is in a great location in downtown Salt Lake.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Gotta be honest, this is a great location and nice hotel - I have no complaints about the room or the staff - both were excellent, but the parking garage is as low as 5'5" in places, and those places are NOT marked. You must pay to park there, but you are ill-advised to do so - you are almost required to use the more expensive valet option if you have a taller vehicle. And we ARE in Utah people. The parking garage falls considerably short of the kind of excellence I have come to expect from Marriot. Our truck was horribly damaged - $3,000 worth and they have determined that they are not responsible. some of the areas that are low are marked and some are not, so it makes it very difficult to negotiate an already tight squeeze.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view - it's beautiful. There is construction going on during the day on one s...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I spend four days there for business travel. This hotel was chosen due to its close proximity to the convention in SLC downtown and the Marriott brand does offer assurance that certain minimum standard would be met. I was not disappointed; the hotel room was clean and well maintained. The front desk was friendly. I had a pleasant, quiet and comfortable stay there. No microwave and refrigerator in the room; but since there are lot of entertainment and restaurants in the downtown area so that was not an issue. I did not use a rental car this time and took airport shuttle in and out of the hotel.