New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Salt Lake City Marriott University Park

Salt Lake City Marriott University Park
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Houston, Texas
“You've Got To Be Kidding Me”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This Hotel was assigned to me by the Customer because of a rate agreement. Wait till my Customer finds out they wouldn’t honor the agreement.

Dealing with the Front Desk was a disaster. Everyone had a different view of the rules. The really good reading is at the bottom of this review.

My room was fairly small with a single Queen size bed that I sunk halfway to the floor in. Definitely not comfortable. Bathroom was also quite small with not so great water pressure. The room was definitely not worth $167.77 per night.

I used my Smart Phone for e-mails, and reading online news because I refuse to pay $10.00 a day for WiFi that other Hotels give you for Free.

When I saw the prices in the restaurant, I decided to eat else ware.

How about a complimentry cup of coffee from the lobby on your way to work? You won't get it here.

Now for the interesting stuff. Here are the Facts. You decide.

My Credit Card Co. called with a Fraud alert on Friday Morning. Seems someone tried to charge $160.00 worth of Music to their iPhone. (It was declined) 10 minutes later a charge of $35.00 and change came from the Marriott / University Hotel. I asked the Front Desk why someone would charge $35 to my account in the middle of my stay, and what was this charge for? They have the charge on record as charged, and declined. (I stopped it). No one knew who or why, and no one was concerned that it was declined. After hours of asking, I was told I would have to wait until Monday. That was it. I moved to the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank JimDavisHouston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
park city UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This place is a pretty tired old Marriott that could use a serious update. The rooms are dated; in fact the whole place is dated. It's in a good location if you need to be near the University or if you have business in Research Park, but otherwise there are far better places to stay in Salt Lake. The service was mediocre at best.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank expeditiondaddy
Lake Oswego, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights while visiting family who live just south of junction of I-80 and 215. Most convenient location (previously stayed at a downtown hotel). Hotel was more than satisfactory - room was slightly above average, beds were comfortable, bathrooms are on the compact side (though clean), and the view from the valley side was great. Exercise room early in the morning was not crowded and equipment functioned well. Didn't eat any meals there so no opinion. Did find staff friendly and pleasant. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: View on the Valley side very nice
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ColoAvsPuckhead
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

The staff is very nice but the hotel is dated, the key cards are not reliable, my shower head is wobbly, and overall ever thing seems clean but dated.

• Stayed February 2012
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I booked a room here while in town for business at the University Health Sciences campus. For a Marriott, it is average. I stayed in a King Suite with a AAA rate. The location is right next to the University and a short drive from downtown. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom is on the small side compared to the overall room size, but was clean. The workout room was great with a nice selection of cardio equipment. Didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. My only complaint was that although I was down the hall from the elevator, the room was a little noisier than other rooms. Every shower and bathroom use from the rooms upstairs could be heard. It didn't keep me up, however. They have 42" flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and sitting room which I liked. Didn't like having to pay $10 for internet though. Parking is free at least. If I come back to Salt Lake again, I would probably just stay downtown because there's more going on, but I wasn't unhappy with my stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
De Pere, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We made reservations here for medical reasons and are absolutely disgusted with the hotel.
Number one, when the reservations were booked we had no idea about an "incedental fee" per night of our stay, we were not notified about this until we checked in for our stay. The staff at the front desk is very nice and polite but the service was aweful. Our key cards kept getting deactivated randomly, our mirrored closet doors fell off their hinges and took the maintanance staff 1 1/2 hrs to get to our room and fix it. The bathrooms are so small you can barely open the door without hitting the bathtub and toilet. The knobs in the tub were sticking out of the wall exposing pipes and the "Clothes line" mounted in the bathtub was hanging off the wall. The wind was blowing so hard one night we could feel the breeze in our rooms from the windows which are so drafty. The pool area (in january) one night was about 90 degress and the next night was about 30 below(just as cold or colder than outside) Not to mention their were bugs all over the ground in the pool area and in the pool water, which we had no idea about a Box Elder Bug issue until we walked into our room and saw a flyer informing our guests about them. I'm sorry but a guest should be notified about a bug issue before they book. Who cares about new LG Flat screen T.V's in the rooms, it doesn't make up for the rest of it!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DeAnna C
Oldsmar, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

This hotel has some age on it so please don't expect the most modern of hotels. It is very typical of a full service Marriott property. The thing that sets this place apart are the people. The two lead people in the concierge lounge, Jim in the evening and Kim in the morning are by far two of the nicest hotel employees, and people, I have ever run across. I have been coming to this hotel for about 4 years and I keep coming back to this location because of them. They always remember my name and never fail to provide the utmost in service. I think the similarity of additude and service come from them being brother and sister :) The other employees throughout the property are very friendly and helpful as well. The conditions of the rooms and the age is evident in many of the other reviews. The hotel has appeared to have been updated but it needs a full renovation. The beds are comfortable. It as noted in other reviews, the TVs are VERY OLD and not flat screens or HD. For the price of the rooms I would expect this...I have noted this in several Marriott surveys, but still no change? The Internet access is good with several locations to connect to. I still don't know why they charge for in room connections? I don't pay because of my status but would expect this to be a free service. As a hint, if you are close to the concierge room, or in it, or in the lobby or near it, you can log on wirelessly for no charge. The connection times out after one hour but you can disconnect and reconnect immediately. If you want a comfortable bed and friendly people, this is the place. Until they completely renovate the rooms don't expect the high end, nice furnishings you can get at other locations.

Room Tip: Ask for a Mountain View room...when the city is not covered in smog/inversion the view ir spectacula...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business