“Great service and good food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hua T'ai Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #285 of 733 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

We all started out having Sizzling Rice Soup then we shared Almond chicken and sesame chicken. It was lunch hour and they were busy but we had excellent service.

Reviewed July 12, 2016

What can I say? I know this is mediocre food, the place is old, and the wait staff looks harried, but I enjoy lunch here. So, why?

Though harried, the staff is polite and very prompt. Moreover, though the place is old, it's generally clean and tables are quickly cleared. And, though the food is not of the greatest caliber, it is still hot and filling.

Reviewed March 30, 2016

I was recently in Corpus Christi for a funeral. There was a large, hungry crowd gathered at home afterwards. My cousin, a long time customer of the restaurant decided to place a large "To Go" order. It was delicious! Hot, freshly cooked, seasoned perfectly - the entrees labeled as "spicy" were well seasoned - just enough heat so it wasn't boring, but not so much heat that it would ruin your meal if you didn't want spicy. Dumplings - fresh cooked, perfectly cooked rice - entrees with large amounts of tofu or shrimp or beef or chicken, FRESH vegetables. The entire crowd was thrilled with dinner. I will go to the restaurant the next time I am in Corpus - this meal was great (almost as good as my cousin's homecooked shrimp boil the night before).

Reviewed May 28, 2015 via mobile

Due to the weather, we came to a place we have been going to for years.

We were not starving but decided to get appetizers and soup to wait out the storm.

The waiter was not helpful or attentive. We had to ask for him twice and once got up to ask him for napkins. I do not think that there were more than five table filled and none were large parties.

I ordered egg drop soup and my husband ordered the hot and sour (?). We received one small bowl of the crispy noodles to share and it was not full. My soup was bland and mainly just the "gelly broth", not much egg or veggies. I know my husband was not hot temp wise.

We ordered hot tea and they put one teabag for the whole tea pot, verses some places put 2-4. Needless to say it was extremely weak.

We order the appetizer sampler (egg roll, crab ragoon, beef something, tempura chicken and maybe shrimp (I didn't eat that). It had a flame in the middle but there were so many chunky pieces that were there upon arrival, I didn't want to use it. Crab ragoon was fake crab and just a chunk of cream cheese. I asked for the plum sauce and he wanted to charge me - I said I spent almost $11 on this dish and he would not give me some..... He said no, - yes, I was aggregated at this point. My husband said the chicken was tough and not chewable. The egg roll tasted OK ( this is why it was a two and not a one). My husband liked the beef, it was not on skewers like I thought it should.

The previous time we went it wasn't great but in the previous years, it was great and we went often, so we wanted to try it again. We have given it two chances, we will not be back - poor service and not good food overall.

We went next door to the marble slab, that was good.

Reviewed March 18, 2015

if you are looking for good taste, fair prices, and family operated business, then you have to try this place. we go eat there pretty often so the wait staff usually knows our order and even when it's someone new they catch on fairly quickly. the owners are friendly but serious about providing a good meal. we usually order the General Tso chicken and it's delicious. my family loves the Jalapeño chicken. their combination LoMein is superb. and their combination fried rice is just soooo good. we have nothing but praises for the restaurant and specially for the family. on a recent trip to their country, they even brought us a little gift from there. So...if u want good Chinese food, you have to make your way over to Hua T'Ai ...also, order some fried wontons to start off.