“Best sushi in Corpus Christ”

Origami Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #274 of 762 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed July 8, 2017

This is, by far, the best sushi place in Corpus Christi. Origami has been in this little strip mall, next to Toys-R-Us for as long as I can remember. I started coming here in the early 2000's and it has been my go-to place for sushi ever since. The quality of the fish is always superior. The sushi master behind the counter is a master of his craft. I always sit at the bar if I can because I love to watch him make the sushi up close, it's amazing to watch someone that skilled create the food.

This last time we went, we got the sushi deluxe for about $20. It has 9 pieces of the chef's choice plus a tuna roll. It was delicious and you don't have to think too hard about what kind of sushi to order. But honestly, everything I've gotten here is just wonderful. Make sure to try the beef broth, delicious!

The service is always good. It's a very small and quiet little restaurant. Close seating at the bar and at the tables, so don't be obnoxious (I'm referring to the guy on his phone talking loudly when we went this last time).

They are usually closed for a couple of hours during the mid afternoon, so make sure and check their hours before you go. Also, the price you will pay is very reasonable for such high quality sushi.

Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this place.

1  Thank Vegas_Gar

Reviewed June 15, 2016 via mobile

If you want authentic Japanese food, and the flavor is solo good, then you can't go wrong here. Been coming here for 2 years and each time I am impressed. Having family in Okinawa, the owner is from there as well, I know authentic Japanese...

1  Thank John H
Reviewed March 25, 2016 via mobile

Great food... Rude waiters. Very condescending. Disappointed in their people skills. It's too bad because we really enjoy the food but rude service won't be tolerated. Guess we'll stick to takeout, because that experience ruined our appetite. No Bueno!

Reviewed September 1, 2015

Origami's sushi chef is an artful Japanese designer of the best sushi I have had in the Corpus Christi area. He has a wonderful selection of traditional sushi and seasonal items. You must try this chefs sushi by sitting at the sushi bar and have a conversation with a true chef.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Server was outstanding, the food was ok, ordered shrimp tempura which was average and a rice bowl with chicken and egg which was slightly above average as far as taste, nothing special on presentation.

The rough part of this experience was the smell of smoke and dingy feel of the restaurant.

Price was average but it was hard to get past the cleanliness.

1  Thank TravellingTexans14