“Overpriced, run down, and just plain dirty. Would not recommend.”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #43 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The best (and only) good thing about this hotel is the location. It is right on emerald beach; however, the beach front is relatively small and fairly crowded. That area of the bay is full of jellyfish. Spotted a couple myself, my 11 yr old refused to get in the water after that, and a few people got stung around us.

As for the hotel. The front desk staff wasn't necessarily rude upon arrival, but the group of people standing at the front desk seemed to be pretty caught up in the discussion that they were having. Finally someone begrudingly broke away from their conversation to check us in, but it was very apparent that it was a chore that they felt that they were above performing.

We checked in, and were put in room 713 of the main tower. We opened the door, and were overwhelmed by a OVERWHELMING smell of body odor. We tried to figure out where it was coming from. After calling housekeeping to change the sheets, we finally found that one of the beds had orange stains that went through the bed pad, and the top of the mattress. Not sure what that stain was, but smelled horribly like body odor. The smell was strong enough that we all felt nauseous, and like we were going to throw up. We asked the front desk to change rooms.

They then put us in a second floor room overlooking the pool. Luckily, there was no odor, but there were several other issues with the room. There was no elevator to the second floor around the pool, so we hand to hand carry our bags up the stairs, as the luggage cart would not climb stairs. The room had a front sliding glass door that was open to a walkway that went in front of all 2nd floor rooms. The sliding glass door latch was broken, and there were a couple of replacement security devices that didn't look very secure. Someone could have easily broken into the room through the sliding glass door, but... we were just glad there was no odor.

The overall condition of the room was relatively poor. The hotel had made some upgrades to try to improve the appeal of the rooms (new tv stand, table, etc.), but the condition of the furniture / permanent fixtures was pretty poor. The 2 chairs in the room had brown stains covering the fabric, which didn't invite sitting in the chairs. Many of the permanent fixtures were old and falling apart (see pictures).

The air vent above the entry doors was hanging down. Luckily, none of us gouged our head on it. The smoke detector looked like it was from the 1970's, and made a strange noise when the bathroom light was turned on & off. The chrome portion of the sprinkler system was very rusty & dirty. The bathroom ceiling had gaps, mold above the shower, and looked as if it was going to fall in on your head in the shower. There was a mark on the front door that showed where the previous lock had been ripped off of the hinges. Luckily, they did install a new lock that worked well. The bathroom light had two flourescent lightbulbs with no cover. When using the bathroom sink / mirror to get ready, I was so paranoid that a drop of water would hit one of those flourescent bulbs, and it would explode in my face. The worst thing about the room was the shower / bathtub. The tub / shower was very dirty. The tub had thick soap scum that you could have scraped off with your fingernail, which was absolutely disgusting. There were yellow stains on the bottom of the tub. The soap tray had dead bugs, and other unknown black objects in it. It was absolutely disgusting, ... but still better than the horrible odor.

The overall atmosphere of the hotel was more of a party atmosphere than a family atmosphere, althogh many of the guests seemed to combine the two. It wasn't really a spring break type crowd. Most of the guests were middle aged (approx. mid 40's), but were apparently trying to relive their spring break days. We laid out on the beach for several hours. It was great to have a bar on the beach. It was slightly annoying that there were large groups at the bar being very loud & obnoxious, yelling, screaming, yahoo'ing, which made it somewhat hard to relax.

The pool area of the hotel was very interesting also. The "parents" had coolers fulling of beer, and were sitting around with cans of beer around the pool (many of whom were absolutely wasted), while their kids ran wild. Not a very family oriented environment in my opinion, but I guess that's normal for some folks.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. Yes, it could have been worse. We didn't get any pest / bugs from the hotel (that we know of), but overall the issues with the hotel make the trip more stressful than relaxing.

Room Tip: View your room before you move into the room.
5  Thank C L
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Dear C L,

Thank you very much for your stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience caused. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

Pam G.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel I fought to find a place to park within the hotel's parking lot. There was a big event going on (bay to beach run...or something like that) right near the hotel and unfortunately it does not appear the hotel has a parking area designated for people who are actually staying at the hotel. The lot was full of people attending the event...what about us who are PAYING for a room at the hotel? Anyway I finally found a spot and entered the hotel. The lobby area, small bar area and resturant area look very nice. The staff was very friendly. I begin heading to my room and as mentioned by many others when reviewing this hotel one of the two elevators was STILL not working. So I waited in line to actually get into the very small elevator. After the elevator loaded left, and came back I finally got in. I arrived at my room and found it average for hotel that appears to be fairly old and 'tired'. No obvious dirt anywhere, the bathroom was clean, the furniture polished and the linen good. The overall appearance of the room was alright but (as mentioned previously) a bit 'dated'. The food at the hotel resturant was alright. Breakfast was good and food plentiful (be sure to get the $2 discount coupon for breakfast during checkin). I had a bacon-double cheeseburger delivered to my room one night and it as well as the desert was good. Room service was very quick! The hotel is located right on the beach which does give a good view. I did not use the pool but it looked good and everyone appeared to be having a good time! The little shop near the pool provides many different small gifts for your visit in Corpus. The staff in the shop were very nice.

One thing I would caution people is to watch the wet floors caused by folks leaving the pool and heading directly into the hotel. Some of the floors are (were) very slippery (mainly in the elevator)

Overall this was an alright stay. If (when) in Corpus again I would probably return here mainly for the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear J P,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. I am particularly appreciative of your comments regarding our staff being friendly and our prompt room service.

Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. The elevator was giving many of our guest's issues and I'm grateful you brought this to our attention. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Corpus Christi.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Reviewed 17 May 2012

we stayed here mainly to get the priority reward points... but it's so not worth the money! we paid $125/night and I would say it's at the most a $75/night value. The hotel was very dirty and there was water everywhere from people walking back from the pool. That's not so bad, but it made the floors very slippery and the elevators were just soaked with dirty water!!!! gross! The customer service there was bad, and we when we went to ask for more conditioner (b/c the cleaning crew didn't put any in our room) they said they ran out. No other alternative solution was given. seriously???? how can a hotel run out of conditioner? The AC didn't work and the beds were hard!!!

I didn't feel safe w/ my car in the parking lot since most locals use that as a place to park and go to the beach. It was just an all around disappointment for the Holiday inn Chain. It needs a renovation!

3  Thank jlj732
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear jlj732,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Member and for leaving us feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and that the amenities and services fell below your expectations. However, I am pleased to inform you that we have just completed our renovations last February and this is to ensure our facilities and service are superior.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Arrived a little over an hour earlier so we decided to ensure the pool was in working condition before checking in. Our youngest daughter just loves hanging out at the pool. Hotel was a little busy with guest but nothing to complain about. Walked up to guest services and was treated nicely. Gentleman who handled my check in was pleasantly courteous. Got my room keys and headed to our room on the sixth floor in the main building. Sure enough, only one elevator was in working condition but at least they had posted this on the main lobby. No real problems getting up and down when needed. Room was great and the view of downtown and the ocean was breath taking. Beach was very clean on Saturday but due to the crowds that day, it needed some cleaning the morning after. It was not until around 2pm that a hotel employee came around and started picking up some of the mess left behind. Last but not least, mother nature sure came through - especially on Saturday. The weather could not have been any better in my opinion. Unfortunately, the weekend came to an end and we had to return home. Looking forward to returning soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The location was wonderful. We just checkin in, dropped out luggage and went exploring. When we came back (late) the room was hot. We could not adjust the temperature so just dealt with it. The electrical outlets were dangerous because the plugs would just fall out. The pool closed early and our room was dirty. When I checked out I only mentioned the outlets and temperature to the front desk. I did not even get an appology.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tisha B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Tisha B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Other than the location of this hotel, there is little favorable about this hotel. At 100% capacity only ONE elevator worked all weekend, the entire hotel was dated and dirty. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable, but the room was small with no closet space. Breakfast at the restaurant was fair for a buffet, but it was poorly staffed and slow to seat guests. Lobby, business center, and workout area are nice. Beach front location is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DVM97
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear DVM97,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W

Reviewed 28 April 2012

The hotel was really nice. All the employees could not have been nicer. There are many things that do show the age of the hotel. My biggest complaint was that they were down t o 1 elevator (the other one was being refurbished). Three hours after check-in - the second elevator quit. We were told initially to take the stairs (we were on the 7th floor). After that - you had to call the front desk and request the freight elevator be sent up to get you. Then had to find someone to take you back up the freight elevator when you wanted to go back to your room. It was a inconvenience and we probably would have gone up and down to the beach more if that hadn't been the case. But the room was great. Had a balcony overlooking the ocean. The staff was exceptional. Pool and hot tub were very clean. The beach was kept litter free and was enjoyable. I will go back - just want to make sure both elevators work when I do!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple