“Charming Venue for Afternoon Tea”

Blue Willow Tea Room
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2017

We were traveling back from Lexington to Williamsburg and wanted to stop in Petersburg to try out the Blue Willow Tea Room. What a lovely place - a historic building, tea room full of interesting decor w/ a beautiful painted tin ceiling. It was Friday afternoon, around 2:15 PM - wanted to make sure we got there before the cut-off time for a full afternoon tea. Kirsti is the hostess, very engaging, w/ great wit, and extremely knowledgable about the various teas offered. We decided to share a full Grande Tea which was $40, a generous amount of goodies, with an additional pot of tea and two glasses of prosecco, just $10 more than the Full Afternoon Tea. This gave us a chance to try two different teas - one was the cinnamon spice - a popular choice and the other Kirsti picked out for us which was a very nice surprise, called Lemon Chiffon, a green tea w/ notes of coconut, vanilla, & lemon. We started w/ the scones w/ strawberry rhubarb jam & clotted cream - yum! Then we had the soup of the day which happened to be cream of mushroom & brie - absolutely delicious and not salty - we've had mushroom & brie soup @ Baker's Crust and I find Baker's Crust version to be too salty. I would love to have the recipe of the one made by the Blue Willow Tea Room. There were four tea sandwiches: egg salad on wheat, pimiento cheese on white, smoked salmon, cucumber, & cream cheese on a mini-bagel, roast beef & cheese on egg roll. All very good - maybe the smoked salmon on a mini-bagel & the roast beef would not be typical English tea sandwiches but still tasty. There were mini quiches, chicken salad in phyllo cups, & a mini-pinwheel sandwiches, nice savories - the sweets were a pound cake, mini cheesecake, & a mini-cherry tart. Not sure why some reviewers felt the offerings were commercial, came from a Sam's Club, or were stale. Everything we had was very fresh. Look this is not the Four Seasons, Jefferson Hotel, or the Biltmore where tea is at least $35 per person without alcohol - it's a little tea room located in the old section of Petersburg Virginia. Our hostess also refilled the pots of tea w/ additional hot water. The prosecco was very nice so I bought a bottle to take home as well as a tin of Lemon Chiffon Tea and a jar of Strawberry Rhubarb jam. I can see how much fun it would be to do a small bridal shower or tea for a bride to treat her attendants. We enjoy afternoon tea so I'm sure we will be back.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

Nice ambiance and old-timey feel. I liked the table decor and presentation of the tea and desserts. It felt like the tables were close together and we were jammed in a bit. We were a group of 10 and I didn't care for the server continuously yelling to get our attention... we are not that loud, mostly women in our 50-60s. Server seemed to be hurrying us along for each course, and we were there to chat with each other so would have liked to enjoy it at our leisure. Some of the desserts seemed store-bought and bland, not what I expected. Flies landing on the food in the serving trays was gross so I didn't eat anything off the top tray where they were. Parking was a nightmare, awful for elderly or handicapped, I wouldn't even try it. Had to park a block away and walk on dirty broken sidewalks, past some type of government housing with people sitting adjacent to the sidewalk. Not gracious or lovely at all!

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Came here with several people and we ordered the full tea. I had been here before and remembered the food being a little better. Some of the sandwiches were very sparse on filling. The tea and desserts were very good. It is a lovely place and the owner is very charming and welcoming. We did have one server who was somewhat surly, but she wasn't around much.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

My husband and I were stumbling around old town Petersburg on a Sunday afternoon when we decided to take a break. The Blue Willow Tea Room was the perfect place to refresh our weary tourist bones.

The food was delicious, and our server was very pleasant.

Whether you're looking for lunch or an afternoon treat, this place is worth a try.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

Beautiful tea Room located in Olde Towne Petersburg. Kirsti was our server. Good news for men-they serve Beer! My Husband humored me and came to tea with me and he was delighted that they offer Beer! We shared a Lucheon tea of cucumber sandwiches and ham salad sandwiches. The Tea included a skewer of fruit, two small scones with devon cream and a pot of tea. I added on a slice of chocolate stout cake with baileys cream icing. my Husband had a cup of strawberry soup.

The Tea room is decorated with Antiques and Lots of Blue Willow tea pots and cups. The Blue Willow Tea Room is located inside a two hundred year old Federal Building. There is a doorway that connects the Tea Room to Penniston's Alley Antique Store.

The food is great here and the service as well. Worth a stop!