“Great Museum But Pay Attention to Closures”

Telephone Museum of New Mexico
Ranked #84 of 236 things to do in Albuquerque
Reviewed October 19, 2017

Not well known (surprisingly even by the locals) but check it out - you won't be disappointed. Really nice, dirt cheap ($2) and well worth going out of your way to find it. If you bring the kids, they'll enjoy the hands on demo stations. Limited days/hours (M/W/F) but open all week during Balloon Fiesta. Also, limited parking - use a meter or the public parking lot around the corner. Plan about 90 mins. TIP: Skip the second of the three "audio" options (the one with the flood event), and plan some extra time after the docent tour to review displays and get pictures.

1  Thank TheObjectiveCritic
"history"
in 11 reviews
"exhibits"

Reviewed July 11, 2017

A very interesting museum with a lot of history about all aspects of the telephone. I had this on my list to visit for years and I'm glad that we finally made it there by playing tourist in our our town. My kids (9 and 11) both enjoyed the private tour filled with stories and some hands-on displays. It was hysterical watching them use an old rotary phone.....they had no idea how to hold it, where to listen and talk into or how to dial it. In the day of technology it was refreshing to see how things started and walk through the evolution of telecommunications. The displays are well done and detailed, but the best part was the volunteer that led us through the entire place giving more depth through his personal stories and knowledge than we would have gotten by just walking through on our own.
It was a fun walk down memory lane for my husband and I, too, seeing the styles of phones we had as kids and sharing stories with our kids about them.
The hours are limited, but it is well worth making a visit. It was $2/adult and the kids were free (although the website said $1/kid). And the kids got a little grab bag surprise at the end...a nice gesture, but, to me, not necessary. The only negative I would add is that the gift shop could have been better. There were some unique items, but some of it had a dollar-store feel about it.
Parking in the structure on Copper between 4th and 5th was an easy option, as it was right around the corner from the museum. If parking at a meter, put in for more time than you think you'll need. We spent over 2 hours.
I would recommend going to this gem. I left wondering who will keep these stories alive for future generations.....luckily this museum preserves the history so well.

Reviewed March 21, 2017

We are biased - but this little place is great. Was a telephone exchange and AT&T donated the building to the effort.
Very nice telephone timeline and big display area. Multi floor exhibits really cover the history of the telephone. And the people are very nice and welcoming and informative.

1  Thank Vincent V
Reviewed March 6, 2017

Fascinating little museum that is staffed by volunteers that give it a very unique place in history. Great displays, and photos of how the telephone evolved, and what the evolution meant to us. There is one display that I loved, it contained "specialized" phones, Elvis, Mickey Mouse, locomotive train, etc....The volunteer asked my grandchildren if they would like to see them work, and when they said yes, he pointed to a rotary dial phone and said for them to dial the number of the display they wanted to see work. Hilarious to watch them look at the phone and have NO IDEA how to use it. More than like your children or grandchildren will do the same. Very limited hours Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 10:00 to 1:30. Well worth the time to visit. Parking is available at 2 hour meters or at the city parking structure between 4th & 5th Streets on Copper.

1  Thank Z297OGrichardf
See more reviews
Reviewed February 17, 2017

I'm into telephones and this museum is wonderful. There are so many phones from every era on display that there was hardly enough time to look at them all. The collection of old switchboards is also impressive. Our guide taught me how to use an old fashioned switchboard, answering a question that I've had for many years. There is a also a learning center for kids, to see hands-on how phones work. The museum is housed in an old Bell System building and it is beautifully laid out. There is also a small gift shop with prices that date back to the time of the Bell System. Check out the hand-made bookends with telephone pole insulators mounted on them. Did you ever wonder what the first trans-Atlantic cable looked like? I did, and now I know. Loved it.

1  Thank irebuildmarantz

Been to Telephone Museum of New Mexico? Share your experiences!