“A Rare GEM!!!”

Rodeway Inn East
Ranked #77 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 November 2011

When it comes to hotels, I find that there are only two kinds; the nice hotels and the cheap ones. Now I say this because I’ve spanned the USA and hit a few spots outside of it as well. I’ve also been on the cleaning crew, and front desk staff as well. Having been on both sides of the counter, I feel I have acquired a critical eye.

A recent move took me across the US, daily trying to find an inexpensive yet comfortable hotel. Coming into Albuquerque, NM, my Iphone app pointed me in the direction of Comfort Inn East. I chose to directly call the hotel and book a room to avoid not getting a room so late at night. I was quoted a double occupancy AAA rate room for under $65 including tax!!! Upon pulling up, I didn’t know which way this one was going. By the time I left in the morning, I knew I had found a RARE GEM.

There is more than enough parking for the whole place. We were pulling a large trailer and had no problem with space despite arriving at 11:30pm. As we stepped into our two-queen room, I was delightfully surprised to not find the standard “cheap” decor. The wall behind the beds had been painted a warm crimson to accent the room. The lamps had been stylishly selected, and the bedspreads were the perfect way to wrap together the “south-west” motif.

The air/heating unit was new, clean, and ran quietly. Not only were the mattresses extremely comfortable, but there were double the amount of equally cozy pillows. The entire place was pristine and well kept. The room was outfitted with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, and sizable shower. My walk to the complimentary full breakfast revealed a lush garden landscape around the pool and hot tub.

Upon entering the front lobby for breakfast I was astounded at the complimentary spread. I usually end up with concentrated OJ out of a dispenser, and a choice of Corn Flakes or Fruit Loops. Not here. There was a vast selection of breads to toast, and fresh danishes. (Not pre-packaged) An equally large selection of boxed cereals to appeal to not only kids but adults as well. Various yogurts and perfectly ripe fruit were also in attendance. What I found the most unique was fresh made waffles (choice of regular or blueberry.) The batter and the waffle iron are right on the counter tempting everyone that walks by. As I sat enjoying my crispy golden blueberry waffle, I noticed the breakfast attendant refilling the OJ jug with Odwalla OJ. A definite win in my book. He was also more than happy to help anyone with anything they needed. I was very pleased to see the milks and dairy products were sitting in a glass front fridge. It gave me the peace of mind knowing they weren’t on and off of ice every day. You never know about those kinds of things on the road!

The front desk staff was warm and welcoming, and went out of their way to make sure I was happy. The complimentary wifi was speedy and easy to hook up to. This place is very easily accessible from Highway 40. There are two grocery stores just across the street, which I find incredibly convenient when traveling on the road. And for those who what something quick and cheap, there are many fast food places within a 1/2 mile on the same road.

If I had my way, I would duplicate Comfort Inn East and put it EVERYWHERE!!! I have since traveled through Albuquerque and made it a point to drive an extra two hours to stay here. This hotel is a rare gem, and if you happen to be passing through Albuquerque and need a place to stay, Do yourself a favor and stay here. Not only for the amazing amenities, but that you get them for an amazing rate!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie U

Reviewed 3 September 2011

I don't know when some of the negative reviews were made, but by the end of July when we stayed here, this place was great! The staff was super friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice. The breakfast area was CLEAN, and the food, fresh and great! Again the staff bent over backwards to make us feel welcome and comfortable. We went on a 3 week trip, the first week being business, and stayed literally in every state in the west except three (Utah, Nevada, and Colorado). This was the nicest place we stayed on the trip. Thank you to the staff. Stay friendly! Keep it up!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The hotel was a bit run down. The balconies and exterior in general need work.

The jacuzzi wasn't working, though it did have a nice outdoor pool.

The food selection for breakfast wasn't very good even for a Continental Breakfast. We ended up going to the nearby Waffle House.

The price was reasonable, but you can find a number of better options in Albuquerque for the price I'm sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

NOTE: This place has all-external corridors, which is unusual for a Comfort Inn. I like the fact that my car was right out front, and my wife didn't have a 5-minute trek to smoke outside. We both felt safer knowing I could watch her from my window. However, there are no elevators, so some travelers reading this may wish to ask for a ground-floor room.

Now, people reading this should know that this NOT the same Comfort Inn East from 2008! The place is under new ownership, and most of the staff has been replaced. The current General Manager is a guy named Gene, and he is a really down-to-earth fellow who will stand around and shoot-the-breeze with you, if you let him.

The renovations aren't 100% complete yet, even in the "upgraded" rooms. I was a kind of expecting to find a flatscreen TV, fridge, and microwave - as most newer properties / recent refurbs seem to have them. Gene explained he has all of those items coming or on back-order, plus a few I hadn't thought about: like new lamps and drapes. The only one of those I actually had use for was the fridge, and he was willing to pull one from an empty room for me! I chose to make due with my ice bucket, and save the staff the extra trouble... but the sentiment goes a long way.

The room was clean enough and everything I actually used worked. However, that king-sized bed was really something else! The pillow-topper on that mattress gave my wife and I better sleep than we get at home, and she actually asked if she could buy a dozen of their pillows! I told her we'd pick up a couple on our return trip, as they really were some of the best I've slept on.

Everything was quiet through the night... for us at least. Our 1-yr old son was wound-up tight and wouldn't fall asleep until nearly 11pm. I was afraid there'd be a noise complaint from our neighbors, as he was very fussy and kept banging on the wall when he'd break loose from our grasp. The funny thing is, we got a chance to talk to one of our neighbors at breakfast. He pointed out that a benefit of staying in an older property, is the thicker walls don't transfer noise so bad! All he heard was light tapping.

Speaking of breakfast, the full-hot breakfast included with the room was a real treat. It had eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, and more. So overall, it seems everyone (our neighbors included) had a restful night and a great start the next morning. I think the accommodations will be better when the renovations are complete, but based on the reviews I read, no place in the area could have beat this stay for the price... especially in-town and right off I-40.

Room Tip: Ground-floor rooms are worth the price. To save a few bucks, take a room on the 2nd floor... but on...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SimonAlexander85635
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The rooms are typical motel rooms. The freshly painted walls and new carpet lets you know they're renovating. The beds and pillows are what amazed me. The bed was extremely comfortable - I slept better than I have in a while. The pillows are wonderful. I don't even know how to describe them. It's how I imagine clouds - soft and fluffy. They seem to have the perfect balance of support. The best part is, you can purchase them at the front desk.

They have a full hot breakfast, which is great. The waffles are delicious, and the smell makes your mouth water. They offer two waffle flavors, which is nice surprise.

Overall, I'd say it's a great value. I'm definitely staying there whenever I need a room in Albuquerque.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Front desk clerks are very courteous and professional. The breakfast was not just a bagel, cup of coffee and get out, it was a nice sit down meal to start us on our drive. Although the hotel was finishing their renovation it didn't disturb our stay at all. Overall, great value, great service and easy on and off the interstate.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Have you ever been tired after a long day with kids and just wanted a place to sleep ?
Well up until Sunday, I had trusted the Choice Hotel name.

I called the hotel and they had rooms so we arrived about 30 minutes later.
I checked in and went to the room looking for a bed.

After looking at the run down condition of the room we were ready to leave but did not,
because everyone was tired.
A lesson learned...DO NOT TRUST A HOTEL BRAND NAME.

Room Tip: Don't
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family