“Our Favorite Albuquerque Family Hotel”

Fairfield Inn Albuquerque University Area
Ranked #68 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
New Mexico
“Our Favorite Albuquerque Family Hotel”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My husband and I are residents of Albuquerque and reserved four rooms at the Fairfield Inn in the university area of Albuquerque for last Friday to accommodate us, our two grown sons, and their families for a special overnight family anniversary celebration. Reserving our rooms was simple and flawless, and the desk staff greeted me with smiles, patience, and courtesy each time I stopped by the Inn to confirm the reservations. We chose the Fairfield Inn because we like the small, more intimate size of the hotel and our family LOVES the very large pool in a glass building in the courtyard of the hotel. The pool water is the warmest of any pool in Albuquerque and has a large shallow end for young swimmers.

The lobby is warm and welcoming with leather couches and chairs and a fire in the kiva fireplace. The hotel offers a continental breakfast that is quite adequate.

We were delighted to find that all rooms at the hotel have been recently (as of June of this year) renovated. Our second floor rooms were spacious with large glass windows facing the interior courtyard of the hotel. The decor and new furnishings were lovely. The entire building felt “new.”

My husband and I enjoyed a room with two double beds. The rest of our family had rooms with a king bed and a fold-out couch. Refrigerators are available in the rooms upon request. If one uses the fold-out couch, one needs to call housekeeping or the desk to obtain bedding.

Everywhere our group went in the hotel we were greeted with friendly smiles from desk staff, custodians, and room attendants.

It takes a little effort to find the Fairfield Inn as it is tucked behind the much larger Crown Plaza Hotel on University Blvd. Also, it may not seem particularly attractive from the outside as it is located at the intersection of I-40 and I-25 and is surrounded by a large paved parking lot (though the building itself looks just fine). However, the interior is peaceful and restful and one forgets the world outside, especially if one requests a room facing the inner courtyard.

The positive side of being near the Big I is that guests have easy access to Old Town, museums, the zoo, sports facilities, shopping, restaurants, and the University of New Mexico.

Our family feels that this smaller hotel is one of Albuquerque’s better kept secrets.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NMBosque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We were quite frustrated by the time we checked in, as we missed the exit, and it took us almost 45 minutes to find it.....and that was after calling the hotel to ask for the specific exit to get off. We were told exit 159D, which is correct; however, if you are not from the area and expect to find 150D, after 159A, B and C, you won't find it. The exit you need is University Blvd, 159D, quite a distance from A, B and C.

The Google map shows access to the hotel from Menaul Blvd., which is off University Blvd. In the maze of freeways, you can see the tall Marriott sign, but just can't get to it. When you're on Menaul Blvd. and looking for the tall sign, it's somehow not visible and not right by the street; it's in the back and the Mariott sign by the street is only two stories high. Whatever you do, take University Blvd. exit and you should have no problem. Though the hotel is by the busy freeways, it was surprisingly quiet. We got a great night's sleep.

Once inside, there were two staff at check-in. The one who told us 159D, was not aware that exits A, B and C didn't precede D on the freeway signs. Both staff were very polite and felt bad for our frustrations. Quick and simple check-in, modern decor, and clean lobby and room. What was disappointing was the wi-fi connection. My husband called for service, but it just wouldn't stay connected. It could have been our laptop, but we hadn't had any issues prior.

If you're looking for shopping and/or restaurants, you don't have to venture any further than Menaul Blvd. Because of our chaotic arrival, we didn't want to get caught up in this again, so we just stayed on the hotel's Blvd. to find something. The three-story Coronado Mall is here. An easy way to get in the mall and to park is at Sears; and there is also a mall entrance right nearby. If you want KMart, take a right on Menaul Blvd. (coming from the hotel back to town) either the 1st or 2nd street from the hotel.

Breakfast included the pancake machine, in addition to the rest. The microwave is old and took me some time to figure out. Another guest told me they did the same thing the previous morning; we noticed most folks afterward have a hard time with it also. We had no check-out, as we request the hotel bill to be slipped under the hotel room door.

Would we stay at this Fairfield Inn again? Now that we know the exit name and can program the microwave, yes we would!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SBluv2rvl
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We were fortunate enough to have a friend offer to pay for our stay at this hotel with their rewards points so that we could split up our drive as we moved from Phoenix, Arizona to Northern Colorado. We have stayed in Albuquerque before and new it would be a good middle ground for our drive. When we needed to search for hotel's in the 10,000 point for a nights stay range, based on Marriot's point system, we had only 4 hotels in this area to choose from. Since this was the only one right off of the highway I looked into it and after reading reviews decided to stay here. We traveled with our two young boys (3 and 1 year old).

Like others have mentioned, getting to this hotel can be tricky and you definitely need to get correct directions, because we even ended up getting confused by Google's directions and found it by going a different route. The hotel is right off of the I-25 and I-40 interstates, but know that you will need to exit the highway a decent ways ahead of when you would expect to in order to get to this hotel. Once we found it, and checked in, then found our room, we were pleased with the room. We requested a King size bed, and were expecting to request a roll-out bed along with a crib for our two boys, but when I requested the roll-out the front desk staff let me know we would have a pull-out couch in our room. That was a pleasant surprise, because we didn't expect the room to be big enough for a couch. When we got into our room, we immediately noted the extra floor space which was appreciated when traveling with little ones.

The bed was comfortable for us, even the pull-out bed seemed comfortable for our oldest son. The Pack-n-play came with one of the full-cover washable covers which we appreciate. The room in general was just fine for our needs. We didn't have a fridge in our room when we arrived, but noticed the place where a fridge would normally go under the TV. We call the front desk and requested a fridge, which they brought right away at no charge.

One downside for me about the room was the TV. It was a flat panel "HDTV", but the signal they had feeding the TV was by no means HD. This in combination with the cheep brand of TV used meant that every channel was stretched on the edges of the TV in order for the image to fit the widescreen. This made for very poor quality image and almost made having the flat panel HDTV worthless in my opinion. Good thing we weren't staying in the room just to watch TV!

We didn't use the pool or exercise area, but looked like they had one, although I didn't go look at it. We did take part in the free continental breakfast, which had about what we have experienced at most hotels recently, the normal muffins and toaster items, cereal, some cold items such as yogurt, various drink options including juice and coffee, and a waffle maker. I prefer to do waffles when at these kinds of hotels, but this waffle maker made the waffles a bit on the rare side so that they are still quite gooey tasting. But, it worked out just fine for us - although I have definitely had better "free breakfasts" at hotels we have stayed at.

The staff at the hotel were always quite nice to us and accommodating the few times we needed something. Overall, it was a nice stay and worked just fine for the rest we needed on our drive. If we had the option, I would put this hotel on the list of ones to try again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Lenexa, Kansas
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I travel for work, and stayed here for a night on my way to another city. The hotel looks great, the colors are very modern and fun without going over the top. Loved the cookie plate at check in and the lobby looked inviting.
The hotel is a little hard to find the first time without the ever useful GPS, but once you know where you are going its easy to get to and from it as you run errands or out for food etc.
My room was comfortable, the bed and pillows were great. My room didn't have a mini fridge but when I called down to the front desk they had one delivered to me within a few minutes, which I really appreciated.
The breakfast is good as well, a little heavy on the carbs, and I'd LOVE to see some more protein other than hardboiled eggs, but thats just a personal preference. The food selection is pretty diverse, there is fruit and low fat yogurt for those travellers who are trying to eat on the healty side.

When I got in I had been on the road for 14 hours and after grabbing a quick dinner I crashed. The next morning I woke up and planned on showering before finishing up the last 8 hours of my drive. Here is the "except" in my title. I turned on the water and it came out brown. Not murkey, not cloudy, brown. I went down to the front desk and reported it, and explained that I had driven all day the day before and how much I had been looking forward to a nice hot shower before getting back to the drive. The girl at the front desk said "sorry" and informed me that it wasn't just my room but that in a few hours someone would be able to look at it. I told her I was leaving in a little bit and she said "ok" and went back to whatever she had been doing before.

I admit that most of the reason I am giving this review a low score is because I feel like from a customer service standpoint that more could have been done. I did enjoy my (brief) stay at this hotel up until this happened. Now I will find another hotel to stay at if I"m ever in the Alb, area again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MrsJCH
California
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The hotel room was very nice and attractively decorated with comfortable beds. I pre-booked/paid through Venere.com at an extremely good rate for the night before the Balloon Fiesta when most hotels have upped and sometimes doubled their prices. Our room was on the ground floor, which I usually request, but had permanently-sealed sliding glass doors facing the parking lot, so we had to keep our drapes shut for privacy and no fresh air except by running th fan or a/c. Upper floors had the same doors but with small balconies. Probably because of the Balloon Fiesta, the hotel was very noisy. We heard the parking lot and the room above us until well after midnight.

The hotel connects with the Crowne Plaza where there were 3 restaurants. We don't usually eat at hotels, but after a day at Acoma Pueblo, staying in sounded best. One restaurant was pricey (Kobe beef for $75), and we ate at the meduim priced one where a rib eye steak in whiskey chili sauce was $28. The Cantina served less expensive food but was also loud bar.

There was a nice indoor pool and spa, but we didn't use it.

The complimentary breakfast was very good and included waffles and some other hot items as well as the usual cereals and breads, coffe and juices.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carolyn19
Arizona
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stopped here en route to Colorado from arizona, glad we had good directions as hotel is not off an immediate exit from freeway- long drive on access/service road to get there. Room was nicely decorated in modern colors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area .
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We arrived after 10pm and the front desk people were very friendly and helpful. Since they were still undergoing construction, they gave each of us a king size Snickers bar with a note that said "pardon our mess" or something to that effect.

Our room had already been remodeled. Not a luxury property -- but clean, nice, and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends